Page 127 of 243 FirstFirst ... 2777117123124125126127128129130131137177227 ... LastLast
Results 1,891 to 1,905 of 3640

Thread: In Memoriam

Be My Baby is an absolute jam. There's no doubt about his talents in the studio.

But let's maybe remember him as a man that threatened to kill women his entire adult life.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Be My Baby is an absolute jam. There's no doubt about his talents in the studio.

But let's maybe remember him as a man that threatened to kill women his entire adult life.
    Love Be My Baby. It might even be my favorite pop song of all-time. Hal Blaine was great on it. But I do acknowledge the serious problems that seemed to haunt Phil Spector throughout his entire life.

The serious problem was serially abusing women until he finally killed one. Spector isn’t the victim.

Feel free to just blast Be My Baby at maximum volume when you dance on his grave. If we’re both vaccinated by then, I’ll join you. That song is an absolute banger.

Astonishing Member

Here's the two-minute scene at the start of Easy Rider (1969) in which Captain America and Billy the Kid make their huge drug deal that gives them the cash to launch their epic motorcycle journey to Florida. Look at the quick part where Spector checks out his appearance in the mirror. Type casting.

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    Here's the two-minute scene at the start of Easy Rider (1969) in which Captain America and Billy the Kid make their huge drug deal that gives them the cash to launch their epic motorcycle journey to Florida. Look at the quick part where Spector checks out his appearance in the mirror. Type casting.

Nice video!

The serious problem was serially abusing women until he finally killed one. Spector isn’t the victim.

Feel free to just blast Be My Baby at maximum volume when you dance on his grave. If we’re both vaccinated by then, I’ll join you. That song is an absolute banger.
    I agree Spector isn't a victim. From what I understand Ronnie was a prisoner in her own home for many years. Sounded very scary. I also liked Spector's first big pop hit: "To Know Him is to Love Him". Great song.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    He traumatized Darlene Love so much she completely dropped out of the business, and because he had never paid her her fair share (sometimes putting names of other singers on her recordings) she had to go clean houses. One December, she was cleaning a bathroom for some rich family and "Christmas, Baby Please Come Home" came on the radio.
    She basically dropped her rag, decided that the world deserved to share in her gifts, moved from LA to New York and started rebuilding her career, which included the title track to Home Alone 2 (they had asked her to re-record "Baby Please Come Home" but she did not want to make another cent for Spector, so the E-Street Band wrote a new song for her), successful stints on Broadway, and 2 decades of singing on Letterman for Christmas. She survived Phil Spector.
    I'm glad that Darlene Love is getting the recognition she so rightly deserves now. Wonderful singer.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

His work on Let It Be (the album) was terrific. A pity Spector was also a colossal scumbag and murderer. I'll miss his body of work, but not the man.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Now there’s a controversial opinion.

There’s definitely some nice stuff on that record, and some great songs from that space in their history that aren’t on that record. I think it could have been a better record, regardless of Spector’s production. But it wasn’t his best effort by a long shot.

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Now there’s a controversial opinion.

There’s definitely some nice stuff on that record, and some great songs from that space in their history that aren’t on that record. I think it could have been a better record, regardless of Spector’s production. But it wasn’t his best effort by a long shot.
    Did you ever listen to the stripped down remix McCartney (who hated the Spector production) released a few years ago?
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Ya know, I’ve heard it, but I never sat down and really listened to it. That’s the Naked release, yes?

I will give it a proper listen soon. Thanks for the reminder.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    Did you ever listen to the stripped down remix McCartney (who hated the Spector production) released a few years ago?
    I have that on CD. Let It Be Naked. So much better than the original release. Across the Universe and Long and Winding Road in particular without all the choir and strings.

There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I have that on CD. Let It Be Naked. So much better than the original release. Across the Universe and Long and Winding Road in particular without all the choir and strings.

I’ve listened to it, and that was also great. So sue me, I like both.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Well, it's a great song.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Jean Graton, the author of Michel Vaillant a series of comics about car races, has passed away…

No really my cup of tea, I may have read one issue, but it’s an old classic…

Rip.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe