Page 13 of 240 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363113 ... LastLast

Thread: In Memoriam

Extraordinary Member

R.I.P The Greatest.

A sports icon having to battle Parkinsons for years was always heartbreaking, seeing him light the torch in Atlanta was one of the more memorable moments I had growing up. Hope he's at peace now.
    Last edited by Hiromi; 06-04-2016 at 05:46 PM.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

First time I recall seeing him fight was against Ken Norton on Wide World of Sports when Ali's jaw was broken. Not his greatest fight, obviously, but there was no mistaking his talent (later on I found out how much better he was back in the '60s) and his charisma.

Was he the greatest? I don't think the '70s version was better than Louis or Marciano at their peaks, but the Ali who fought Sonny Liston is a different story.

RIP
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

RIP Kimbo Slice

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

While I know Kimbo wasn't a great MMA dude. I mean he was like a Tank Abbott in a sense. Guys could beat a lotta peoples asses in a straight up bare knuckles fist fight , but they weren't huge MMA stars. Kimbo looked like a legit bad ass. Plus I have watched a bunch of his street fights years ago. Dude was literally busting peoples eyes and more open with some shots.

A few months ago Tommy Dreamer revealed back in mid 2000's he was working as a talent scout for the WWE. At the time he got some tapes of Kimbo beating people in street fights as seen above. Dreamer was like , this guy could be something. So he talked to Kimbo who was game for a WWE career and wanted to come in . Tommy went to Johnny Ace who was the VP of talent and several factors played into why Slice never got the shot.

1.) His Age - Ace was worried that Kimbo's age would be an issue. He turned 42 this year so back a decade ago he was 32/33. He would essentially be sent to developmental to learn pro wrestling at an age where the clock was ticking.

2.) His appeal - Slice main appeal was the street fighting persona he had honed there. The WWE would be hard pressed to present Slice as something as serious then since this was before Brock Lesnar would return from his UFC stint as a bad ass and booked that way.

3.) Few had worked out - Ken Shamrock , Dan Severn and Tank Abbott were 3 of the failed MMA guys who came from legit fighting backgrounds and failed in pro wrestling. Shamrock had the best success and even then never rose above a mid-carder for the WWF. So Slice sadly likely wouldn't have worked as a main event level star .
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

BANNED

Very sad... singer Christina Grimmie was shot dead after a concert. Loved her on The Voice.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jeanvaljean View Post
    Very sad... singer Christina Grimmie was shot dead after a concert. Loved her on The Voice.
    Just heard about that. How sad.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

BANNED

I was not a fan but that is just terrible. I wonder if it was a stalker or a former boyfriend.

BANNED

The police are saying at this point that there's no indication that she knew him.

If this can happen to a third runner-up on The Voice, it's pretty frightening for celebrities in general. It's not new though. It happened to Theresa Saldana in 1982. She died just this week.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/09/ar...t-61.html?_r=0

Wasn't familiar with her, but from what I hear she did have talent and a tremendous amount of potential. Always horrible and tragic when it happens to anyone, but becoming famous means wearing a bulls-eye on your back. It should never be this way, but this isn't the first and unfortunately it won't be the last.

Reminds me of Rebecca Schaeffer, a young TV actress just making her mark when she was shot and killed by an obsessed fan back in 1989. She was 21 at the time.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Hockey legend Gordie Howe passed away. Lot of Canadians named Gordie, thanks to this man. One of the sad things about getting old is seeing names from your childhood pass away (Howe was before my time; but, he was spoken of, often), like Ali and David Bowie (seemed like Bowie was breaking new ground in music for most of my life). I could care less about shows like The Voice and American Idol and most of the people who gain fame via that route; but, it's never good to see someone's life snuffed out so young and under such circumstances.

I'm sure most have heard; but, as of this writing, a shooting at a club in Orlando has left 50 dead and as many wounded. It has been labelled the largest mass shooting in US history. The mind boggles. Natural causes have taken enough lives lately, without psychopaths adding to things.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    The police are saying at this point that there's no indication that she knew him.

If this can happen to a third runner-up on The Voice, it's pretty frightening for celebrities in general. It's not new though. It happened to Theresa Saldana in 1982. She died just this week.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/09/ar...t-61.html?_r=0

I'm a fan of hers.

Actress Janet Waldo has passed away at 96. Waldo was most famous as the voice of Judy Jetson. She also voiced Penelope Pitstop in Wacky Races and The Perils of Penelope Pitstop, Morticia Addams, in the H-B Addams Family cartoons, and Princess, in Battle of the Planets. She began her career in radio and also appeared in several classic tv shows, including an episode of I Love Lucy (which also featured fellow radio star Richard Crenna) and the Andy Griffith Show. She was the last surviving cast member of The Jetsons.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by codystarbuck View Post
    Actress Janet Waldo has passed away at 96. Waldo was most famous as the voice of Judy Jetson. She also voiced Penelope Pitstop in Wacky Races and The Perils of Penelope Pitstop, Morticia Addams, in the H-B Addams Family cartoons, and Princess, in Battle of the Planets. She began her career in radio and also appeared in several classic tv shows, including an episode of I Love Lucy (which also featured fellow radio star Richard Crenna) and the Andy Griffith Show. She was the last surviving cast member of The Jetsons.
    The Wacky Races has to be the first time I ever heard her voice, since I believe I saw that show first before I ever saw a Jetson rerun. She was quite the cutie when she was younger, too.

RIP
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?