Page 137 of 243 FirstFirst ... 3787127133134135136137138139140141147187237 ... LastLast
Results 2,041 to 2,055 of 3638

Thread: In Memoriam

Statements on Passing of Michael Collins

The following is a statement from acting NASA Administrator Steve Jurczyk on the passing of Michael Collins:

“Today the nation lost a true pioneer and lifelong advocate for exploration in astronaut Michael Collins. As pilot of the Apollo 11 command module – some called him ‘the loneliest man in history’ – while his colleagues walked on the Moon for the first time, he helped our nation achieve a defining milestone. He also distinguished himself in the Gemini Program and as an Air Force pilot.

“Michael remained a tireless promoter of space. ‘Exploration is not a choice, really, it’s an imperative,’ he said. Intensely thoughtful about his experience in orbit, he added, ‘What would be worth recording is what kind of civilization we Earthlings created and whether or not we ventured out into other parts of the galaxy.’

“His own signature accomplishments, his writings about his experiences, and his leadership of the National Air and Space Museum helped gain wide exposure for the work of all the men and women who have helped our nation push itself to greatness in aviation and space. There is no doubt he inspired a new generation of scientists, engineers, test pilots, and astronauts.

“NASA mourns the loss of this accomplished pilot and astronaut, a friend of all who seek to push the envelope of human potential. Whether his work was behind the scenes or on full view, his legacy will always be as one of the leaders who took America's first steps into the cosmos. And his spirit will go with us as we venture toward farther horizons.”
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    So that just leaves Buzz Aldrin from the Apollo 11 crew.

R.I.P. Major General Collins.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    So that just leaves Buzz Aldrin from the Apollo 11 crew.

R.I.P. Major General Collins.
    One of my childhood heroes, he was the unsung hero of Apollo 11. I can remember looking out my window trying to spot the rocket as a four-year-old back in '69.

RIP
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    One of my childhood heroes, he was the unsung hero of Apollo 11. I can remember looking out my window trying to spot the rocket as a four-year-old back in '69.
    We got a parade for Buzz Aldrin in my (old) home town (Montclair, NJ) after they returned from that trip since he had grown up there.

We got a parade for Buzz Aldrin in my (old) home town (Montclair, NJ) after they returned from that trip since he had grown up there.
    Very cool!

The thing that annoys me all these years later is I don't remember the actual moon landing, despite my parents stating I definitely watched it. I probably was just too young to process it fully, plus the crappy Kinescope-like transmission (though the direct transmission from the Moon was

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    The thing that annoys me all these years later is I don't remember the actual moon landing, despite my parents stating I definitely watched it. I probably was just too young to process it fully, plus the crappy Kinescope-like transmission (though the direct transmission from the Moon was
    Was . . .

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

Was . . .
    He was talking too much about top secret things.

Was . . .
    Have you ever seen videos of later moon landings? The pictures are bright, sharp, and in color, unlike the Apollo 11 transmission. The thing is, the Apollo 11 transmission was just as good, but the technology wasn't there to feed it to the networks in the same pristine way. Therefore, what people saw then and still now (the original NASA transmission was unconscionably erased) was a video of the master transmission on a TV screen.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post
    He was talking too much about top secret things.
    I'm pretty sure The Science Channel is now declassified.

Extraordinary Member

RIP to Johnny Crawford, aka the son of The Rifleman, Chuck Connors, (who himself died in the early 90s). Also a musician, (he sings and plays guitar on the show as a young kid). They both appear last as their two characters from the Rifleman in the last of the Gambler series, with many of the great Western TV stars, (like the Rifleman and now grown up son, David Carradine's Caine, Brett Maverick, (Jack Kelly?), Rodgers himself as his title character, and many others.

Crawford was 75, of Alzheimers, COVID, and pneumonia.

R.I.P. actress Olympia Dukakis.

Olympia Dukakis, Oscar-Winning 'Moonstruck' Star, Dies At 89
    May 1, 20215:07 PM ET
    THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

MAPLEWOOD, N.J. — Olympia Dukakis, the veteran stage and screen actress whose flair for maternal roles helped her win an Oscar as Cher's mother in the romantic comedy Moonstruck, has died. She was 89.
    Dukakis died Saturday morning in her home in New York City, according to Allison Levy, her agent at Innovative Artists. A cause of death was not immediately released.
    Dukakis won her Oscar through a surprising chain of circumstances, beginning with author Nora Ephron's recommendation that she play Meryl Streep's mother in the film version of Ephron's book Heartburn. Dukakis got the role, but her scenes were cut from the film. To make it up to her, director Mike Nichols cast her in his hit play Social Security.
    Director Norman Jewison saw her in that role and cast her in Moonstruck. Dukakis won the Oscar for best supporting actress and Cher took home the trophy for best actress.
    She referred to her 1988 win as "the year of the Dukakii" because it was also the year Massachusetts Gov. Michael Dukakis, her cousin, was the Democratic Party's presidential nominee. At the ceremony, she held her Oscar high over her head and called out: "OK, Michael, let's go!"
    You can read the rest here: https://www.npr.org/2021/05/01/99276...tar-dies-at-89

Pete Lammons Jr., who was part of a national championship at Texas and part of the Super Bowl III champion New York Jets, has passed away.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

You can read the rest here: https://www.npr.org/2021/05/01/99276...tar-dies-at-89
    Aw man. She was great in everything she was in.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

A tremendous actress. RIP.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Terrible news, comic book artist John Paul Leon has passed away.
    https://www.cbr.com/john-paul-leon-dies-static-earth-x/

He was a man of great talent.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!