Page 150 of 243 FirstFirst ... 50100140146147148149150151152153154160200 ... LastLast
Results 2,236 to 2,250 of 3634

Thread: In Memoriam

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

First thing that always pops in my head when I hear the name Stephen Sondheim is Send in the Clowns sung by Judy Collins.

RIP
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Golfer Lee Elder, who was the first black man to tee off at The Masters, has passed away.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Former track & field Olympian Emmit King, who starred in college with Alabama, has died.

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Bob Dole, RIP Bob Dole.

Edward Shames, who had been the last surviving member of the real-life "Band of Brothers", has passed away.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Just got an alert that Michael Nesmith of The Monkees passed away at 78. Damn!
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Whoa. Nesmith just finished the farwell tour a couple of weeks ago. Now Mickey is the only one left.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

RIP to the amazing fantasy artist Chris Achilléos. He was 74. Chis was a staple in the fantasy art field for decades. Comic fans probably know him best for his covers to Heavy Metal, but his oeuvre is vast.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Racing legend Al Unser, Sr., who won the Indy 500 four times in his career, has passed away.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Just got an alert that Michael Nesmith of The Monkees passed away at 78. Damn!
    The Monkees were the first rock group I remember liking due to the Saturday-morning reruns of their show, so Mike Nesmith's passing is a sad one for me.

There was a girl in my fourth grade class circa 1974 who was in love with him. I don't think a day passed when she wasn't talking about his wool hat, his sideburns, or his Texas drawl. Which goes to show you the weird things that stay encrusted to your brain after all those years.

RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    Racing legend Al Unser, Sr., who won the Indy 500 four times in his career, has passed away.
    A.J. Foyt was my favorite Indy racer, but I liked him, too. It seems like almost yesterday when I was watching him on The Wide World of Sports

RIP

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Whoa. Nesmith just finished the farwell tour a couple of weeks ago. Now Mickey is the only one left.
    Oh man, I am such a fan of the group. My older sister was into the Beatles and then I would watch the Monkees every week. Bit of trivia I read....when they toured after shooting to fame, Jimi Hendrix was sometimes their opening act! I recall the controversy about whether they were really musicians or not but Nesmith certainly was a good guitarist and did write a few of the Monkees songs. He was independently wealthy because his mother invented and marketed "White Out", which as a former clerk/typist in my younger days, we used quite a bit back in those pre-digital days of producing documents. She left him a fortune when she died.

RIP Nez.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    The Monkees were the first rock group I remember liking due to the Saturday-morning reruns of their show, so Mike Nesmith's passing is a sad one for me.

There was a girl in my fourth grade class circa 1974 who was in love with him. I don't think a day passed when she wasn't talking about his wool hat, his sideburns, or his Texas drawl. Which goes to show you the weird things that stay encrusted to your brain after all those years.

RIP
    I also watched their show in reruns. I have their albums on my phone. It's a shame The Monkees aren't in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I also watched their show in reruns. I have their albums on my phone. It's a shame The Monkees aren't in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.
    Yeah, while I understand the reasons for the exclusion, they weren't Milli Vanilli, either. They did all of their own singing, wrote some songs, and even later played their own instruments on subsequent albums. Add in their popularity and it's kind of mind boggling that they're not enshrined yet all these years later.