Page 153 of 243 FirstFirst ... 53103143149150151152153154155156157163203 ... LastLast
Results 2,281 to 2,295 of 3638

Thread: In Memoriam

Waiting for confirmation, but I think Betty White just passed away. A few days short of her 100th birthday.

And here it is

Betty White, The Golden Girls and Hot in Cleveland Star, Dead at 99

R.I.P.
    Last edited by Tami; 12-31-2021 at 12:43 PM.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Waiting for confirmation, but I think Betty White just passed away. A few days short of her 100th birthday.

And here it is

R.I.P.
    It's funny, but even though she was a name when I was growing up during the '70s, I never thought of her as a legendary-type figure at the time. Not that she wasn't great on The Mary Tyler Moore Show and on other things, but I probably saw her on Password or other game shows the most. With that said, The Golden Girls really changed the perception of her.

RIP
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

And here it is

R.I.P.
    I just saw Betty in an interview a few weeks ago and she was well, keeping active and had some new roles planned.

I was so sad to hear the news earlier today. Betty White will be missed! Tonite, the Fireworks I see will remind me of Betty.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Astonishing Member

According to Betty White's wiki page, they were planning a touching documentary for her 100th. Sounds like she would have loved it.

In December 2021, before White's death, it was announced that White's 100th birthday would be celebrated on January 17, 2022, at theatres across the United States with the showing of a new documentary-style movie celebrating White’s life and career titled; Betty White: 100 Years Young - A Birthday Celebration.[63] A cast of friends including Ryan Reynolds, Tina Fey, Robert Redford, Lin-Manuel Miranda, Clint Eastwood, Morgan Freeman, Jay Leno, Carol Burnett, Craig Ferguson, Jimmy Kimmel, Valerie Bertinelli, James Corden, Wendy Malick, and Jennifer Love Hewitt would have been featured on the celebration.

Boston Celtics legend Sam Jones, a 10-time NBA Champion, has passed away.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Shirt Is Optional Member Attila Kiss's Avatar

This one hit me.
    I don't know if she wrote much of, or even any of her lines, skits, but she could certainly sell a joke as if she invented them. I think she was the funniest lady of her generation.

On Dec. 30th I thought I'll circumvent the New Year's eve shopping craze but seems like everybody beat me to the punch. As I was stuck not only in the long lineup but also had to wait for the cashier to help out a customer in front of me, who also had a 2 story high shopping cart full of groceries, a headline from one of the junk magazines, sitting on the rack beside me, caught my eyes. I only noticed Betty White's name and a mention of her 100th Birthday. I thought to myself: "nice, she deserves it". Then yesterday watching the news they announced her passing a few days shy of her Birthday. I was shocked, yet couldn't help but chuckle a bit. She left us in a style, mocking those tabloids: "I'm not 100, I'm 99.99".

R.I.P.
    links to my books:
    "TWISTED HOLIDAY HORROR TALES"
    @ comiXology
    @ IndyPlanet
    "Blues Ratz"
    @ Amazon: Spec. BLUE Version Paperback
    @ IndyPlanet: Collected Edition

Retired

I think the lesson to be learned here is never announce the celebration of a 100th birthday ahead of time. I had been seeing news about this planned celebration for weeks, so it had me expecting Betty White would turn 100 and imagining what the celebration would be like. I was upset that she died, but I was also upset that she didn't reach that milestone. Whereas, I should have only been thinking how great it was for her to have such a long life (the number shouldn't matter that much).

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I think the lesson to be learned here is never announce the celebration of a 100th birthday ahead of time. I had been seeing news about this planned celebration for weeks, so it had me expecting Betty White would turn 100 and imagining what the celebration would be like. I was upset that she died, but I was also upset that she didn't reach that milestone...
    Why did this also sound like it was describing a certain "wedding" that a certain major comic book company was hyping to death, with special issues and such, that didn't happen and that certain major comic book company knew damn well wasn't going to happen?

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Why did this also sound like it was describing a certain "wedding" that a certain major comic book company was hyping to death, with special issues and such, that didn't happen and that certain major comic book company knew damn well wasn't going to happen?
    Was that Batman and Catwoman?

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    They weren't the only one, either (but maybe that's why it didn't bother me in the slightest ).
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Broadway actress Joan Copeland, who was also the sister of playwright Arthur Miller has passed away.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Sidney Poitier, trailblazing Hollywood icon who broke barriers for Black actors, dies at 94

Sidney Poitier, the renowned Hollywood actor, director and activist who commanded the screen, reshaped the culture and paved the way for countless other Black actors with stirring performances in classics such as “In the Heat of the Night” and “Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner,” died, a source close to the family told NBC News on Friday.

He was 94.
    R.I.P.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Also, Peter Bogdanovich, the Oscar-nominated director of 'The Last Picture Show,' dead at 82.
    By Brian Lowry, CNN
    Updated 4:03 PM ET, Thu January 6, 2022

Peter Bogdanovich, the Oscar-nominated director of movies like "The Last Picture Show" and "Paper Moon," whose off-screen life was as colorful as his films, has died, according to multiple reports, citing his daughter Antonia Bogdanovich.

He was 82.
    Bogdanovich died of natural causes at his home in Los Angeles, his daughter told The Hollywood Reporter, which his agent later confirmed to CNN.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/06/enter...ary/index.html

In addition to his work in movies, some may remember him as Elliot Kupferberg, the therapist for Tony Soprano’s psychiatrist (played by Lorraine Bracco ) on on ”The Sopranos”.
    Last edited by MajorHoy; 01-07-2022 at 08:53 AM.

Extraordinary Member

RIP, Sir.

He starred in a movie I quite liked, well, a number of them, but "To Sir With Love" stayed with me for some reason.

[URL="https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/movies/sidney-poitier-trailblazing-hollywood-icon-who-broke-barriers-black-actors-n1256724"]Sidney Poitier, trailblazing Hollywood icon who broke barriers for Black actors, dies at 94[/URL
    R.I.P.
    He was wonderful in “In The Heat of the Night” with Rod Steiger…

Rip.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe