Page 162 of 244 FirstFirst ... 62112152158159160161162163164165166172212 ... LastLast
Results 2,416 to 2,430 of 3648

Thread: In Memoriam

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by frankiedetroit View Post
    I saw Dark City when it came out and used to own it when I had DVDs!

RIP to the Bad Guy.
    Great movie. As for Hall, damn, I grew up watching him and Nash. I sort of expected him to go, as did everyone else, given his past, but still it was a bit of a shock, coming out of the blue like that, from something that can get anyone. RIP to a great heel.

News of Bill Hurt's death reminds me I saw him on Broadway in Hurlyburly, which boasted an all-star cast.
    I enjoyed Hurt in the part of the beautiful, blond talking head/object of desire in Broadcast News; also remember him in Eyewitness (to toss the name of another of his lesser-known films into the ring). Sad to hear of his passing, and gone too soon at 71.

Akira Takarada passed away on March 14 at the age of 87. He appeared in six Godzilla movies, including playing the male lead Ogata in the original 1954 film, and had filmed an unused cameo scene for the 2014 Legendary Godzilla. He also appeared in other Kaiju and Tokusatsu films like "Half Human", "The Three Treasures", "King Kong Escapes" and "Latitude Zero".

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kai "the spy" View Post

Akira Takarada passed away on March 14 at the age of 87. He appeared in six Godzilla movies, including playing the male lead Ogata in the original 1954 film, and had filmed an unused cameo scene for the 2014 Legendary Godzilla. He also appeared in other Kaiju and Tokusatsu films like "Half Human", "The Three Treasures", "King Kong Escapes" and "Latitude Zero".
    Damn. I liked him in the Japanese version especially, where they didn't weigh it all down with Burr and that stuff.

Astonishing Member

I realize that not many people ever think about the 1996 John Travolta flick Michael, directed by Nora Ephron, since it's basically just a rom-com bit of fluff. However, I consider it to be a really enjoyable bit of fluff, and I particularly liked William Hurt's low-key but sensitive performance in it. He and Andie McDowell made a great on-screen couple. Hurt gave an intelligent interpretation to each role I ever saw him in. (Incidentally, Travolta considers Michael to be his own "finest work".)

Extraordinary Member

RIP to Pat Goss, host for 41 seasons of Mototweek's Goss' Garage. He was 77, of unknown causes.

Goss' Garage was a segment on Motorweek wherein he would explain what and why something on your car was happening, and how to fix or prevent it.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kai "the spy" View Post

He was one of my favorite actors when I was a kid, since I saw every Toho film on TV available.

RIP
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Stephen Wilhite, creator of the GIF, dies at 74

In 1987, while at Compuserve, he created the Graphics Interchange Format, or GIF, to compress images to make them accessible for early modem speeds.

Years later, it became social media's primary method of conveying emotion and memetic communication. The GIF format has been used as a convenient way to show graphs, drawings and simple animations.

In the early 2010s, the format exploded. Whether it was Jasmine Masters from “RuPaul’s Drag Race” saying “And I oop-” or Kermit the Frog drinking Lipton tea, there was no shortage of expression that could be conveyed by Wilhite’s GIF.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Madeleine Albright, First Woman to Serve as Secretary of State, Dies at 84

Madeleine K. Albright, a child of Czech refugees who fled from Nazi invaders and Communist oppressors and then landed in the United States, where she flourished as a diplomat and the first woman to serve as secretary of state, died on Wednesday in Washington. She was 84.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Extraordinary Member

RIP Taylor Hawkins of the Foo Fighters. The drummer was 50, of we don't know yet. There's widespread mourning among the music community, as he was very well liked. Sad. And 50 is too young IMO. He was on tour in Bogota, Columbia, and was found unresponsive in his hotel room. And no, I'm not going to suggest it.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/taylor-ha...032044941.html
    Last edited by achilles; 03-26-2022 at 06:47 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Hawkins was on not one drug, but all of them. 10 in all, evidently. Sad.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Hawkins was on not one drug, but all of them. 10 in all, evidently. Sad.
    Prescription or illegal? I’m not familiar with the man, so I don’t know what’s what.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Prescription or illegal? I’m not familiar with the man, so I don’t know what’s what.
    Sounds like it may be a mix. Weed, which probably didn't hurt him at all, followed by the ones that may have killed him, unspecified opioids, unspecified anti-anxiety drugs, and unspecified anti-depressants/more anti-anxiety medicines. Those last three you mix at your own risk of death. He seems to have had a heart attack or at least he complained of chest pain first, but anyone taking all that stuff together...

I'm more familiar with his music than him, but he seemed very nice, smart, and an outstanding musician. Tragic, as I said.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    When mixing stuff you don't need to do anything illegal to die - I don't think Heath Ledger had anything he wasn't prescribed or that wasn't available over the counter. But by getting prescriptions in multiple countries the doctors didn't know what else he was on and the results were lethal.

My wife won't even change her brand of nasal spray without consulting her doctor, due to taking both psychiatric drugs and thyroid meds. Probably safer that way.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Ultimate Member

https://www.ringsidenews.com/2022/03...-28-years-old/

We are very sad to learn that Logan Roettger, a pro wrestler who also styled many WWE performers at his salon in Tampa, Florida, passed away due to a car accident on March 23. He was only 28 at the time of his death.

Wrestling promoter Chris Waddell said Roettger. who wrestled under the ring name Logan Legit, left his home Wednesday. Unfortunately, he was in an accident en route and was taken to a hospital in Nashville, Roettger, where he passed away.
    Today WWA is suppose to air one of their events on youtube tonight and I believe that would be the last time Logan wrested before his death.