Page 173 of 244 FirstFirst ... 73123163169170171172173174175176177183223 ... LastLast
Results 2,581 to 2,595 of 3649

Thread: In Memoriam

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I loved her on that show. She didn't always get a chance to do a lot but when she did she was good, as in the Mirror, Mirror episode
    She was at her most gorgeous in that episode, too. Those abs! An important member of my favorite show growing up.

It's not a big deal anymore, but Nichelle kissing the white William Shatner on an episode, even during the '70s when I was a kid, was eye opening. You just didn't see it on TV back then.

RIP
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    She was at her most gorgeous in that episode, too. Those abs! An important member of my favorite show growing up.

It's not a big deal anymore, but Nichelle kissing the white William Shatner on an episode, even during the '70s when I was a kid, was eye opening. You just didn't see it on TV back then.

RIP
    I like the legendary story about that kiss. I hope it's true; and from the words of both her and Shatner, it seems to have been true. Hilarious and awesome at once.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Lost in the news over the deaths of Bill Russell and Nichelle Nichols, I heard that Pat Carroll, the voice of Ursula from The Little Mermaid also passed away yesterday.
    She had a long and successful career even before getting the role of Ursula.
    https://variety.com/2022/film/news/p...la-1235330213/

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    She had a long and successful career even before getting the role of Ursula.
    https://variety.com/2022/film/news/p...la-1235330213/
    I first saw her on a game show in the '70s, IIRC. Funny lady.

RIP

Vin Scully the famous longtime play by play guy for the Dodgers has passed away at 94

Extraordinary Member

RIP Vin Scully, voice of the Dodgers and perhaps the greatest play by play man in MLB history. 67 years with the Dodgers, he retired in 2016.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    RIP Vin Scully, voice of the Dodgers and perhaps the greatest play by play man in MLB history. 67 years with the Dodgers, he retired in 2016.
    He even started as announcer for Dodgers games on radio back when the team was still located in Brooklyn.
    (My Dad had been a Brooklyn Dodgers fan back in the day, but gave up on following them when they changed coasts.)

He even started as announcer for Dodgers games on radio back when the team was still located in Brooklyn.
    (My Dad had been a Brooklyn Dodgers fan back in the day, but gave up on following them when they changed coasts.)
    My family were Brooklyn fans (I was even born there), but they became Mets fans when they moved to Long Island in '67.

As for Vin, he was as great as great can get. The only criticism I ever had of his work was his tendency to add meaningless stats: "Did you know Cal Muscles has a .400 BA when Pakistanis exceed the average daily amount of curry on Tuesdays in their country? Isn't that something?"

RIP

Extraordinary Member

My family were Brooklyn fans (I was even born there), but they became Mets fans when they moved to Long Island in '67.

As for Vin, he was as great as great can get. The only criticism I ever had of his work was his tendency to add meaningless stats: "Did you know Cal Muscles has a .400 BA when Pakistanis exceed the average daily amount of curry on Tuesdays in their country? Isn't that something?"

RIP
    I feel he was sort of the Mr. Rodgers of baseball. And Los Angeles loved him. Classy act by the Giants with their touching tribute to him on the big screen. Imagine calling "The Catch", Montana to Clark, that perfect game, who knows how many no-hitters, perhaps the most famous and dramatic moment in World Series history---Gibby's HR in Game One, Masters tourneys, and who knows what else. Knowing the greatest baseball players from eras long gone. Anyway, City Hall and the LAX pillars are being lit up in Dodger blue tonight, much like they put up the Bat signal on City Hall, (AKA the Daily Planet building from the Reeves TV show) when Adam West died. Sometimes Los Angeles can be classy. Sometimes.

I feel he was sort of the Mr. Rodgers of baseball. And Los Angeles loved him. Classy act by the Giants with their touching tribute to him on the big screen. Imagine calling "The Catch", Montana to Clark, that perfect game, who knows how many no-hitters, perhaps the most famous and dramatic moment in World Series history---Gibby's HR in Game One, Masters tourneys, and who knows what else. Knowing the greatest baseball players from eras long gone. Anyway, City Hall and the LAX pillars are being lit up in Dodger blue tonight, much like they put up the Bat signal on City Hall, (AKA the Daily Planet building from the Reeves TV show) when Adam West died. Sometimes Los Angeles can be classy. Sometimes.
    Yeah, that was indeed a nice touch by LA.

I should say Vin was the play-by-play guy for my favorite World Series: 1986. I still get chills hearing him during the Bill Buckner play in Game 6.

Yeah, that was indeed a nice touch by LA.

I should say Vin was the play-by-play guy for my favorite World Series: 1986. I still get chills hearing him during the Bill Buckner play in Game 6.
    Oh, that World Series. = grumble =

At that time, I (a NYC Yankees fan) was sharing a house in Bridgeport, CT with four other people. One was a Mets fan who was originally from Long Island, and another was guy originally from Maine who (of course) was a Boston Red Sox fan.
    By the way, the Red Sox fan was married to the Mets fan.

Oh, that World Series. = grumble =

At that time, I (a NYC Yankees fan) was sharing a house in Bridgeport, CT with four other people. One was a Mets fan who was originally from Long Island, and another was guy originally from Maine who (of course) was a Boston Red Sox fan.
    By the way, the Red Sox fan was married to the Mets fan.
    Heh. Bosox and Mets fans got along fine pre-'86. After?

Extraordinary Member

RIP to Roger E. Mosley, helicopter pilot TC of OG Magnum PI fame, from injuries suffered in a car crash on Thursday. He later became a famous Los Angeles area track coach.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/ro...83/ar-AA10pV6B

Probably unknown to most on this forum, but for MMA and BJJ fans, Leandro Lo - multiple time world BJJ champion and a legend of the sport was murdered in Brazil this weekend:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-62456672

"Witnesses said Lo and his friends were approached by a man in a threatening manner, Lo immobilised the man, but after he let him go, the man shot Lo. The suspect fled the scene but has since handed himself in to police. An investigation for attempted murder has been opened. A friend of Lo who was with him at the time, said a lone man approached their table, took a bottle from it and waved it around in a menacing way. Lo had pinned the man to the ground to "calm him down". But after he let him go, the man shot Lo in the head, the unnamed friend told Brazilian news site G1."

Quite disturbing. The murderer was an off-duty cop.

RIP to Roger E. Mosley, helicopter pilot TC of OG Magnum PI fame, from injuries suffered in a car crash on Thursday. He later became a famous Los Angeles area track coach.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/ro...83/ar-AA10pV6B
    Rip, Mr Mosley.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe