Page 192 of 243 FirstFirst ... 92142182188189190191192193194195196202242 ... LastLast
Results 2,866 to 2,880 of 3643

Thread: In Memoriam

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post
    In a rivalry that went back decades, he had to upstage Barbara Walter one last time.
    Heh. I wasn't aware of that.

I can remember Barbara Walters on Not For Women Only as a preschooler going back to the late'60s and also as the first female anchor for a nightly news telecast. Yet, her specials were my favorite thing she did.

As for Pope Benedict, he wasn't Pope John Paul II, but that was a hard person to equal.

RIP
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post
    The ladies on The View had hinted at it a few weeks ago.
    Oh. Well, since I don't watch that show, . . .

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Just heard that Pope Benedict XVI passed away at 95.
    That makes him the fifth Pope to have died during my lifetime, though I was only really aware of four of them.

And one was only Pope for about a month.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    That makes him the fifth Pope to have died during my lifetime, though I was only really aware of four of them.

Pope John died a couple of years before I was born, but the others I was fully aware of, too.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post

I’ve only paid attention to Popes starting with John Paul II (Oct. 16, 1978-April 2, 2005), mainly during my time in the Navy. In the fall of 1979, the ship I was on was on a Mediterranean Cruise and pulled into Naples for about a week, our Morale, Welfare and Recreation department sponsored a tour to Rome which I went on and got to visit the Vatican which was super cool. That was where I found out about John Paul II as the gift shop there had his face on a boatload of stuff, and I bought a plate which I mailed back home to my mom. One thing I remember was one of my buddies who joked, “Did this guy follow George Ringo I?” (corny Beatles joke)
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

I’ve only paid attention to Popes starting with John Paul II (Oct. 16, 1978-April 2, 2005), mainly during my time in the Navy. In the fall of 1979, the ship I was on was on a Mediterranean Cruise and pulled into Naples for about a week, our Morale, Welfare and Recreation department sponsored a tour to Rome which I went on and got to visit the Vatican which was super cool. That was where I found out about John Paul II as the gift shop there had his face on a boatload of stuff, and I bought a plate which I mailed back home to my mom. One thing I remember was one of my buddies who joked, “Did this guy follow George Ringo I?” (corny Beatles joke)
    LOL. I'm old enough to remember that joke at its inception.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    She took a lot of flack for a while but I liked her on the View. One report says she had dementia and knew it. She was parodied for a while on Saturday Night Live by Gilda Radner playing a Barbar WaWa character. I guess she just wanted to quietly move away from the limelight. R.I.P to a great lady.

And John Byrne satirized Walters early in his Fantastic Four run...

I figured that this is as good a place as any to share this: Unlikely Parallels in a Year of Momentous Deaths

Those deaths, like many others reported in the obituary pages this year, could not be said to have been wholly unexpected. (Benedict’s successor, in fact, Pope Francis, had warned the world on Wednesday that the ailing former pontiff’s time was very short.) But a curiously ample number did occur in 2022 carrying an element of the unforeseen, in terms of their timing and circumstances. Call them products of sad but odd coincidence, befalling people who had shared some sort of bond in life and then left the world in unlikely tandem.
    Last edited by Tami; 01-01-2023 at 10:01 AM.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Extraordinary Member

Wouldn't be too surprised to see Francis retire soon as well. He's not doing too well himself, and he's been unable to fulfill his responsibilities, such as the midnight mass this year---he was in a wheelchair and many of his actions during said mass were given to younger, healthy people. It's a tough job, with an immense amount to do, and that requires at least some stamina which he doesn't seem to have anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Wouldn't be too surprised to see Francis retire soon as well. He's not doing too well himself, and he's been unable to fulfill his responsibilities, such as the midnight mass this year---he was in a wheelchair and many of his actions during said mass were given to younger, healthy people. It's a tough job, with an immense amount to do, and that requires at least some stamina which he doesn't seem to have anymore.
    I read that Pope Francis already has a letter written in the event that he is physically unable to continue as Pope. A Letter of resignation. He keeps it just in case.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

The irony is that Francis is one year older than Benedict who retired at 85 when he decided he was no longer able to fulfill his duties. One would hope the Church has a successor in the queue, I mean, the notion of a Pope literally working until he dies is ridiculous to me.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Extraordinary Member

The irony is that Francis is one year older than Benedict who retired at 85 when he decided he was no longer able to fulfill his duties. One would hope the Church has a successor in the queue, I mean, the notion of a Pope literally working until he dies is ridiculous to me.
    To be sure, everyone deserves at least a nice little retirement. I hope Francis does so when it's time, hard though that might be for him. Perhaps a little gardening would be a nice hobby in retirement? Works for me, should work for him too.

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

From the pontifex to a Pointer Sister:

Anita Pointer of The Pointer Sisters dies at age 74

"How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

I hope he has many years in front of him yet. My opinion on the Roman catholic church can't be described by any positive words, but at least the current pope, unlike most of his predecessors, seems like a really decent person who wants to change things for the better within the system and bring some empathy and self-awareness to the institution. For which he is of course despised by many of the peple who surround him. I am sure that once he's gone, they will make sure not to make the same "mistake" again to vote in another pope who cares more about real Christian values than about keeping the antiquated, greedy, patriarchal system running.
    Slava Ukraini!
    Truth and love must prevail over lies and hatred

Ultimate Member

https://www.fox13memphis.com/news/lo...CEGL7R5HELNCA/

MEMPHIS, Tenn. — A Memphis rapper was found dead Sunday afternoon.

Lola Mitchell, 43, otherwise known as “Gangsta Boo” was found dead at approximately 4 p.m.

Gangsta Boo was the second woman member of the Memphis hip-hop group “Three 6 Mafia”.