Page 198 of 243 FirstFirst ... 98148188194195196197198199200201202208 ... LastLast
Results 2,956 to 2,970 of 3638

Thread: In Memoriam

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I just heard the news too. How sad.
    I know! She seemed like a really nice person.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Astonishing Member

The first time I remember seeing Cindy Williams was in America Graffiti, where her character was Richard Dreyfus's sister, Ron Howard's girlfriend, and the girl riding in Harrison Ford's car in the climactic drag race. She had an understated charm.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    The first time I remember seeing Cindy Williams was in America Graffiti, where her character was Richard Dreyfus's sister, Ron Howard's girlfriend, and the girl riding in Harrison Ford's car in the climactic drag race. She had an understated charm.
    It wasn't the first time I saw her (that was Happy Days), but I agree she was charming in that movie. She was very likable in everything she did, too.

RIP
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Extraordinary Member

Loved her in that movie. Shirley and Richie before Happy Days. It was so cool.

Laverne & Shirley was such a LOL tv show. Just as good as Lucy and Jack Tripper when it came to physical comedy. Williams and Marshall were definitely one of the best comedy teams in tv history IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Williams and Marshall were definitely one of the best comedy teams in tv history IMO.
    Yeah, they were just as good as Ball and Vance, IMO. Those early episodes still hold up, too, though I never have to see those California-based ones ever again.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Yeah, they were just as good as Ball and Vance, IMO. Those early episodes still hold up, too, though I never have to see those California-based ones ever again.
    In one of the stories I read today, Williams was quoted as saying that she and Penny begged Garry Marshall not to make that move to California.

Jed Clampett to California - YES; Laverne & Shirley - Definitely NO.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Yes, but they are probably making everyone laugh in Heaven with their LaVerne and Shirley antics!
    Either that or they're arguing with God to make sure one doesn't have more lines than the other!

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    In one of the stories I read today, Williams was quoted as saying that she and Penny begged Garry Marshall not to make that move to California.

Jed Clampett to California - YES; Laverne & Shirley - Definitely NO.
    That's classic. And them kissing the Beatles poster board was so off -- not only because I thought of them as being in the 1950s, but just having a poster of the Beatles, let alone kissing it, was something teeny boppers would do, not women in their 30s.

Quote Originally Posted by frankiedetroit View Post
    That's classic. And them kissing the Beatles poster board was so off -- not only because I thought of them as being in the 1950s, but just having a poster of the Beatles, let alone kissing it, was something teeny boppers would do, not women in their 30s.
    No, they left the 1950's in the 3rd year or so. It became 1960.

By the time L & S moved to California, it was about 1965.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by frankiedetroit View Post
    Yeah, the Beatles poster was stupid and the thing that ruined it right there for me for the reasons you outlined. Of course, it was just as idiotic when they were chasing Fabian (unsuccessfully trying to play his younger teenage self) in an earlier episode, too.

Retired pro wrestler "Leaping" Lanny Poffo" has passed away. He was also known as "The Genius" and he was the brother of Macho Man Randy Savage.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Extraordinary Member

Spanish Fashion Designer Paco Rabanne Dies at Age 88.

I've used his colognes most of my life. His 1 Million cologne is still very popular.

https://people.com/style/fashion-des...ead-at-age-88/

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

Pervez Musharraf, Pakistan's former Prime Minister, died in exile.

Astonishing Member

Melinda Dillon, an actress whose over 50-year career specialized on women in emotional turmoil, died on January 9 at age 83, of undisclosed causes. Although she gained acclaim on Broadway in her early 20s by originating the role of the intimidated young wife "Honey" in the original run of Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?, the emotional demands of the role so traumatized her that she afterwards worked almost entirely on screen. People herein may remember her as Paul Newman's co-star in Slap Shot and in Absence of Malice, and they will almost certainly remember her as the mother of the young boy who is abducted by aliens in Close Encounters of the Third Kind (she meets Richard Dreyfus at Devil's Tower and retrieves her son from the mother ship) and especially as Ralphie's mother in A Christmas Story.

Melinda Dillon, an actress whose over 50-year career specialized on women in emotional turmoil, died on January 9 at age 83, of undisclosed causes. Although she gained acclaim on Broadway in her early 20s by originating the role of the intimidated young wife "Honey" in the original run of Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?, the emotional demands of the role so traumatized her that she afterwards worked almost entirely on screen. People herein may remember her as Paul Newman's co-star in Slap Shot and in Absence of Malice, and they will almost certainly remember her as the mother of the young boy who is abducted by aliens in Close Encounters of the Third Kind (she meets Richard Dreyfus at Devil's Tower and retrieves her son from the mother ship) and especially as Ralphie's mother in A Christmas Story.

I never knew she was the original Honey. The funny thing is, despite Sandy Dennis playing the role wonderfully in the movie and becoming a more popular film star than Melinda Dillon was, how many young people know who she was compared to Melinda? The latter-day success of A Christmas Story (I saw it in the theaters when it first came out, FWIW) is a good example of the vagaries of time.

RIP