Page 209 of 243 FirstFirst ... 109159199205206207208209210211212213219 ... LastLast
Results 3,121 to 3,135 of 3638

Thread: In Memoriam

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    He was great on Route 66 (I became a fan of the show in the '80s), but as a kid during the '70s, I just knew of him on the game shows.

RIP
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Maharis was one of a few gay actors of his generation to not be directly affected by the AIDS crisis. He was arrested in 1967 on charges of "lewd conduct", and in 1974 on charges of “sex perversion” for using men's bathrooms as venues to cruise for sex. He insisted on doing full frontal when Playgirl made him "man of the month" in a nude photo spread. It's so amazing to see a gay icon of that age live into his 90s. May he rest in peace.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    Maharis was one of a few gay actors of his generation to not be directly affected by the AIDS crisis. He was arrested in 1967 on charges of "lewd conduct", and in 1974 on charges of “sex perversion” for using men's bathrooms as venues to cruise for sex. He insisted on doing full frontal when Playgirl made him "man of the month" in a nude photo spread. It's so amazing to see a gay icon of that age live into his 90s. May he rest in peace.
    Shame, the other principle of that show, Martin Milner, who was perhaps better known as Malloy in Adam-12, died about six or seven years ago, so AFAIK there's no one left alive from that show. Anyhow, RIP to this gentleman.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    I have no memory of the '74 arrest (I didn't even know what "gay" meant then except for being happy ), but I don't think it hurt him with TV roles. Did he even come out?

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Shame, the other principle of that show, Martin Milner, who was perhaps better known as Malloy in Adam-12, died about six or seven years ago, so AFAIK there's no one left alive from that show.
    And Glenn Corbett, who replaced Maharis on the show, died in 1993.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I didn't know Glenn Corbett was on Route 66. The only thing I remember seeing him in is an episode called Metamorphosis from TOS Star Trek where he played a character who created the warp drive called Zephram Cochran.

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    I have no memory of the '74 arrest (I didn't even know what "gay" meant then except for being happy )
    Same here !

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I didn't know Glenn Corbett was on Route 66. The only thing I remember seeing him in is an episode called Metamorphosis from TOS Star Trek where he played a character who created the warp drive called Zephram Cochran.
    That was the first time I saw him, too, though I recall seeing him in more non-game show offerings during the '70s for some reason than Maharis. I liked him a lot in a Gene Roddenberry production where he winds up on an alternate-universe Earth (the latter being a novelty then).

Same here !
    That's because we're the same age. I think 1977 might have been when I started hearing it a lot. Maybe that was when Anita Bryant was on her crusade (to derail her career, that is).

I didn't know Glenn Corbett was on Route 66.
    Offhand, I didn't, either. I just remember from somewhere in the past reading / hearing that Maharis left the series before it ended and had to look up who it was that replaced him.

Magic Castle co-founder Milt Larsen has passed away.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Yeah, but James Cromwell was more fun as Cochrane from Star Trek: First Contact!

Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Yeah, but James Cromwell was more fun as Cochrane from Star Trek: First Contact!

I agree. James Cromwell's superb acting was awesome.

The original Zefram Cochrane actor from the TOS episode Metamorphosis was, in my opinion, not very good actor. I watched the episode a long time ago. His performance was hardly memorable. Rest in peace, Glenn Corbett.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Offhand, I didn't, either. I just remember from somewhere in the past reading / hearing that Maharis left the series before it ended and had to look up who it was that replaced him.
    The funniest thing about Corbett's first episode was this: as a Vietnam vet (pre-Gulf of Tonkin), he comes back to the States as a civilian and has a tussle with a gang. Knowing martial arts, he wisely uses this ability against the gang and beats them badly. Now Milner's character hears about this and goes after Corbett, because everybody knew back then that the only way to fight was with your bare hands and not that dirty fighting stuff. It doesn't matter if it's you against a hundred men, you have to take your beating utilizing only your dukes. They have their own bout at the end and, of course, become friends.

As someone who grew up in the age of Bruce Lee, I'm glad people don't have this mindset anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    . . . The original Zefram Cochrane actor from the TOS episode Metamorphosis was, in my opinion, not very good actor. I watched the episode a long time ago. His performance was hardly memorable. Rest in peace, Glenn Corbett.
    Which he's hopefully been doing for the past thirty years or so?

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    I agree. James Cromwell's superb acting was awesome.

The original Zefram Cochrane actor from the TOS episode Metamorphosis was, in my opinion, not very good actor. I watched the episode a long time ago. His performance was hardly memorable. Rest in peace, Glenn Corbett.
    He was rather stiff. The woman playing the alien entity that fell in love with his character was Elinor Dohahue from Father Knows Best.

Glenn Corbett's Zephram Cochrane seemed almost alien to me. But that entire episode is an oddball. The Companion saved his life, and obviously is very protective Cochrane, but he flies into an unholy rage the moment he realizes that it loves him. Only to do a complete about face five minutes later when it possesses a lovely human woman.

Not to mention how everyone suddenly blows off the ultra-important peace-keeping mission at the end and, after an entire episode of trying to save her, suddenly care not a whit that Hedford is basically dead now. They just all figure that things will work out fine and fly off.

I give TNG a lot of grief and still prefer TOS, but man TOS has some real clinkers.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.