Page 212 of 243 FirstFirst ... 112162202208209210211212213214215216222 ... LastLast
Results 3,166 to 3,180 of 3638

Thread: In Memoriam

Olympic gold medalist Torie Bowie has passed away.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Yeah, I have driven them myself on tracks, but never in traffic for the reason you pointed out.

As for Treat, definitely one of the better actors of his generation, but I think the only movie of his that I saw in a theater was the zombie comedy Dead Heat (his last starring role, I believe). Prince of the City is the film he will most be remembered for, IMO.

RIP
    Well, at least judging from his last tweet, he had a fine last day. The way I'd want to go. And wow, his...place...is gorgeous!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    How sad! Here's Mr. Williams from Deep Rising, a cheesy late 90's monster movie I liked:

I liked that one too--I think most people who watched it seem to have. Though I had forgotten about it until this happened.

Famed author Cormac McCarthy, most commonly known for having written No Country For Old Men, has passed away at 88.

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

Legendary artist John Romita, who met the almost impossible task of following Steve Ditko on Spider-Man, has passed away at the age of 93 according to his son, John Romita Jr.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post
    Legendary artist John Romita, who met the almost impossible task of following Steve Ditko on Spider-Man, has passed away at the age of 93 according to his son, John Romita Jr.
    I don't know how true it is, but I remember reading a long time ago that at first John didn't think that he'd be know as the Spiderman guy. He had just accepted the Daredevil gig and he was only supposed to be filling in on Spidey until Stan got a permanent artist.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I don't know how true it is, but I remember reading a long time ago that at first John didn't think that he'd be know as the Spiderman guy. He had just accepted the Daredevil gig and he was only supposed to be filling in on Spidey until Stan got a permanent artist.
    Right, he's said that in many interviews over the years. For example, check out the interview in the excellent TwoMorrows book "John Romita...And All That Jazz." On page 48 Romita states that he assumed he was only doing Spider-Man as a temporary assignment, to help Stan out ("I felt he [Stan] was desperate")...and that he couldn't wait to get back to his Daredevil assignment!

RIP Mr. Romita

He not only redefined Spider-Man, and truthfully, his version is still the House style for the character (not to get into a Ditko-Romita debate), but as Art Director he set the template for covers and art for decades.
    And from all accounts, a genuinely nice man.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

My first Spidey comic had the contributions of John Romita (and Gil Kane) on the cover from almost 50 years ago:

Needless to say, he was an all-time great.

RIP
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Famed author Cormac McCarthy, most commonly known for having written No Country For Old Men, has passed away at 88.
    I have yet to have read any of his work, but I do love the movies adapted from them.

RIP

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

Winner of two Oscars and later Labour Party politician Glenda Jackson has died at the age of 87.

Winner of two Oscars and later Labour Party politician Glenda Jackson has died at the age of 87.

Really great actress who was at her most popular when I was a kid during the '70s. Though not a classic beauty, I thought she as pretty sexy when I was older.

RIP

Huge loss, Romita is the man. I think he was only asked to fill in because no one knew if his "romance style" artistry would be popular with a character such as Spider-Man. Well it was. ASM became Marvel's top seller.

The comics industry mourns the passing of John Romita Sr.:

https://gizmodo.com/john-romita-sr-r...man-1850539126

Interesting that Marvel Entertainment tweeted the wedding cover. Or maybe not interesting, since its so iconic.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Daniel Ellsberg, who leaked the Pentagon Papers, dies at 92

Daniel Ellsberg, who leaked the voluminous, top-secret history of the Vietnam War known as the Pentagon Papers, a disclosure that led to a landmark Supreme Court ruling on press freedoms and enraged the Nixon administration — serving as the catalyst for a series of White House-directed burglaries and “dirty tricks” that snowballed into the Watergate scandal — died June 16 at his home in Kensington, Calif. He was 92.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Check out the Steven Spielberg movie, The Post from a few years ago to see Ellsberg’s actions regarding the Papers.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!