Page 230 of 243 FirstFirst ... 130180220226227228229230231232233234240 ... LastLast
Results 3,436 to 3,450 of 3644

Thread: In Memoriam

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Of all of the Kroft shows, H.R. Pufnstuf was my favorite (though Land of the Lost was very close - I thought Holly was cute ).

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    One big hit, but a real big one.

RIP to both.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Extraordinary Member

Frances Sternhagen, probably best known as Cliff Clavin's mother on Cheers, has died.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Just got an alert that Henry Kissinger passed away today at 100.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Wrong thread, sorry
    Last edited by Tami; 11-30-2023 at 02:45 PM.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Just got an alert that Henry Kissinger passed away today at 100.
    11C86788-9996-4223-A098-D32DDD89BF88.jpg
    /10char

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Of all of the Kroft shows, H.R. Pufnstuf was my favorite (though Land of the Lost was very close - I thought Holly was cute ).
    Marty and his brother Sid (who I think is still with us) brought---though most would say foisted---one of their all time greatest failures, Pink Lady & Jeff on the American populace back in 1980. It was a short lived, six episode comedy-variety show starring Pink Lady, an uber-popular Japanese song and dance duo and then (and now) unknown stand-up comic Jeff Altman. The show was an absolute train wreck as the Ladies barely spoke passable English while Altman was about as funny as a crutch along with a kooky list of guest stars like Larry Hagman, Sid Caesar, Jerry Lewis, Hugh Hefner, Sherman Hemsley, Bert Parks and Red Buttons. TV historians said PL&J was so bad, it killed the long running comedy-variety show format dead. If you want to learn more about PL&J, check this out:

http://www.pinkladyamerica.com/pink-primetime.html

Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 11-30-2023 at 01:53 AM.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Marty and his brother Sid (who I think is still with us) brought---though most would say foisted---one of their all time greatest failures, Pink Lady & Jeff on the American populace back in 1980. It was a short lived, six episode comedy-variety show starring Pink Lady, an uber-popular Japanese song and dance duo and then (and now) unknown stand-up comic Jeff Altman. The show was an absolute train wreck as the Ladies barely spoke passable English while Altman was about as funny as a crutch along with a kooky list of guest stars like Larry Hagman, Sid Caesar, Jerry Lewis, Hugh Hefner, Sherman Hemsley, Bert Parks and Red Buttons. TV historians said PL&J was so bad, it killed the long running comedy-variety show format dead. If you want to learn more about PL&J, check this out:

Yeah, I remember that and it was really bad, but I do recall thinking the girls were nice to look at. As for Jeff Altman, I actually thought he was fine as a standup, but he was as funny as cancer on that show. As for variety shows, it didn't kill them off (multiple TV sets in the house did that), but Pink Lady and Jeff expedited the process.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

Shane MacGowan died aged 65, lead singer of the Pogues.

He was a good one, but he led a life where 65 is a surprising age to have reached. RIP.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post
    Shane MacGowan died aged 65, lead singer of the Pogues.

He was a good one, but he led a life where 65 is a surprising age to have reached. RIP.
    Nobody would line up to insure his life. (Really enjoyed his music)

My brother and I have had this discussion about how "Musician..." years can be like "Dog..." years.

Lemmy being an obvious instance. That guy making it to seventy was practically a miracle.

Shane is the same sort of a thing. Hopefully, the guy had some time just being able to put it into neutral and coast at some short stretch during these last few years.

Invincible Member

Comic Book and Hollywood writer and Jack Kirby biographer Mark Evanier, wrote for Pink Lady.

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Yeah, I remember that and it was really bad, but I do recall thinking the girls were nice to look at. As for Jeff Altman, I actually thought he was fine as a standup, but he was as funny as cancer on that show. As for variety shows, it didn't kill them off (multiple TV sets in the house did that), but Pink Lady and Jeff expedited the process.
    Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Comic Book and Hollywood writer and Jack Kirby biographer Mark Evanier, wrote for Pink Lady.
    Quite right on both counts! Not to toot my horn, but the info I provided came from my Pink Lady website:

http://www.pinkladyamerica.com/

Oh, and here's an interview with Mr. Evanier about the show:

http://www.pinkladyamerica.com/pink-insider.html
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 12-01-2023 at 03:59 AM.

Extraordinary Member

RIP to Sandra Day O'Connor at 93. I actually thought she was already dead.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    RIP to Sandra Day O'Connor at 93. I actually thought she was already dead.
    So did I. RIP.

RIP Sandra Day. A true depiction of what a Supreme Court justice should be.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.