Page 3 of 240 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast

Thread: In Memoriam

BANNED

RIP Ziggy Stardust. The Thin White Duke to return no more.

Damn, man.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    RIP Natalie Cole, the woman who single-handedly made me shed my prejudices towards vocal standards when I first heard Unforgettable and opened me up to a whole new world.
    A beautiful voice that will be missed.
    Natalie Cole was one of the most under-rated singers of her era. An amazing voice who did fine justice to a musical legacy.

Quote Originally Posted by jeanvaljean View Post
    I thought his voices sounded weak on Black Star, but I had no idea how ill he was. Very sad about this.
    The video for Lazarus is sort of chilling knowing how ill he was and with the news today.

Edit: Just read the post about that video. I guess that was the intent. This all was such a blow, I've known it would happen for awhile but Bowie was one of my all time favorites. Absolutely brilliant.
    Last edited by KOSLOX; 01-11-2016 at 11:28 AM.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

David Bowie returned to us briefly to give us some new songs before leaving us permanently.
    The Gypsies had no home. The Doors had no bass.

Does our reality determine our fiction or does our fiction determine our reality?

Whenever the question comes up about who some mysterious person is or who is behind something the answer will always be Frank Stallone.

"This isn't a locking the barn doors after the horses ran way situation this is a burn the barn down after the horses ran away situation."

"There's a starman waiting in the sky, he'd like to come and meet us, but he thinks he'd blow our minds! There's a starman waiting in the sky...he told us not to blow it, 'cause he knows it's all worthwhile. He told me: "Let the children lose it, let the children use it, let all the children boogie!"."

May thee RIP, Ziggy.
    "Yes, I can do that!" - Ivan Lawrence Blieden

"The true is inimitable, the false untransformable." - Robert Bresson

"The boundaries which divide life from death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?" - Edgar Allan Poe

"Those who believe need no explanation." - Dionysos, The Bacchae by Euripides

Marvel Future Fight: InimitableMaven, Alliance: Fates Law / Yahtzee With Buddies: TheInimitableMaven

Thanks to share Maven... So much songs will sound so sad now...This news leave me wordless... He was so brilliant in everything : "Sound & Vision"....

Spectacular Member

Makes this quite poignant and moving.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

The Thin White Duke was certainly one of the greats, with Suffragette City being my favorite of his songs.

RIP
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

I've had Blackstar on a loop since the news. So haunting an appropriate.

The world is lesser because Bowie's not around anymore.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by mr_crisp View Post
    David Bowie returned to us briefly to give us some new songs before leaving us permanently.
    I like the thought of this. I guess we are fortunate he was able to still release some new songs for us before passing. I would say other musicians should take note, but of course Bowie was one of a kind.
    Last edited by Paper Monkey; 01-11-2016 at 06:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Abe View Post
    Thanks to share Maven... So much songs will sound so sad now...This news leave me wordless... He was so brilliant in everything : "Sound & Vision"....
    You're welcome Abe and indeed...Bowie was (ever since I was about ten or so, and very much thanks to the space/sci-fi themes of his Ziggy Stardust era output) and will always be one of my utmost 70's, 80's, and classic rock favorites. At one time in my early teens, Changesbowie was one of my most spun CDs...until I got the even better Bowie: The Singles Collection 2 CD set (which included "Starman", left off the CD edition of Changesbowie, dagnabit). Speaking of "Sound and Vision", no tribute to Bowie is complete without the following...not only one of THE BEST covers of Bowie, but really anything I've ever heard.

"Yes, I can do that!" - Ivan Lawrence Blieden

"The true is inimitable, the false untransformable." - Robert Bresson

"The boundaries which divide life from death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?" - Edgar Allan Poe

"Those who believe need no explanation." - Dionysos, The Bacchae by Euripides

Marvel Future Fight: InimitableMaven, Alliance: Fates Law / Yahtzee With Buddies: TheInimitableMaven

I thought losing Lemmy hurt, but losing Bowie just feels awful, that he worked that hard to put his final album out right before he passed is just heart wrenching

Quote Originally Posted by Maven View Post
    You're welcome Abe and indeed...Bowie was (ever since I was about ten or so, and very much thanks to the space/sci-fi themes of his Ziggy Stardust era output) and will always be one of my utmost 70's, 80's, and classic rock favorites. At one time in my early teens, Changesbowie was one of my most spun CDs...until I got the even better Bowie: The Singles Collection 2 CD set (which included "Starman", left off the CD edition of Changesbowie, dagnabit). Speaking of "Sound and Vision", no tribute to Bowie is complete without the following...not only one of THE BEST covers of Bowie, but really anything I've ever heard.
    I think I'm older than you, Maven - I'm 42 - and at the same age Bowie became one of my all time favorites - every category included - and the sci-fi themes are present in so much songs that I think it opened me to the better part of comics too (the one I actually purchase... I just bought The Kirby's Challenger of Unknown Omnibus yestersay and Saturday EC Weird Fantasy (1952 series) #13 which led to an agreement with Bradbury... I guess you will recognize things you love in those two...)... Too much things to say and to write about that. But it's needless now...

I will just share this wonderful song, unrelated for that subject but so beautiful - and sad - today... perhaps still tonight for you :

Quote Originally Posted by Michael P View Post
    "I'm dying? Better do one last album, then, and make it a good one."

That's some ... I'm not even sure there's a word for that. Good on him.

As I said on Facebook, thanks for coming to see us, Starman.
    Yes indeed - the stars look very different today. I feel very sad - even though I "only" know him through his music but he touched so many of us.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

This loss is going to linger for years. I don't think there's been so great a loss since Lennon.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier