Page 46 of 243 FirstFirst ... 364243444546474849505696146 ... LastLast

Thread: In Memoriam

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    He was a complex person, not easy to love, or even like in person. But made millions laugh and was an innovative film maker.

I did love his movies as a kid.
    Yes, and he had a strange dislike of, and refusal to wear socks more than one time. He would throw them away. Dispite all his money, this was a waste, especially with so many people in the world needing clothing.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

I just heard about Jerry Lewis having passed. How sad.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Jerry Lewis is one of those love 'em or hate 'em kind of performers. I think he got bitter about the break up with Dean Martin, who arguably benefited from the split more than Jerry did. Before you know it, he's doing movies with big stars of the day like John Wayne (liked their pairing in "Rio Bravo) and then Martin had a big hit on NBC with his variety show. I remember watching that with my parents. Jerry Lewis could be an interesting talk show guest when he was in a serious mood and as others mentioned, he raised zillions of dollars with those telethons. He rarely slept during those.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Jerry Lewis is one of those love 'em or hate 'em kind of performers. I think he got bitter about the break up with Dean Martin, who arguably benefited from the split more than Jerry did. Before you know it, he's doing movies with big stars of the day like John Wayne (liked their pairing in "Rio Bravo) and then Martin had a big hit on NBC with his variety show. I remember watching that with my parents. Jerry Lewis could be an interesting talk show guest when he was in a serious mood and as others mentioned, he raised zillions of dollars with those telethons. He rarely slept during those.
    Jerry did very well after the break up. He was the auteur of his own movies. Writting, directing and starring. He was a very innovative film maker.
    But he always had a volatile personality.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    and then Martin had a big hit on NBC with his variety show. I remember watching that with my parents.
    The Dean Martin Show was too late for me too watch back then. I had to be in bed by 8 on school days at that age and no later than 9 on the others. I did watch the show in rerun form during the '80s, however.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

And yesterday the sky darkened for Jerry Lewis' passing.
    The Gypsies had no home. The Doors had no bass.

Does our reality determine our fiction or does our fiction determine our reality?

Whenever the question comes up about who some mysterious person is or who is behind something the answer will always be Frank Stallone.

"This isn't a locking the barn doors after the horses ran way situation this is a burn the barn down after the horses ran away situation."

Sitcom legend Jay Thomas passes away at the age of 69

The New York Daily News was the first to report the news of his passing, saying that his wife and two sons were by his side at the time of his death. Thomas was best known for roles in “Murphy Brown,” “Cheers,” “Mork & Mindy” and, most recently, “Ray Donovan” over his decades-long career.
    I remember him in many roles. RIP
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    I liked him and thought he was a pretty good actor (Mork & Mindy was the first show I saw him on, FWIW).

RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Yes, and he had a strange dislike of, and refusal to wear socks more than one time. He would throw them away. Dispite all his money, this was a waste, especially with so many people in the world needing clothing.
    I believe he gave them to charity.

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

Enjoy listening to the MARTIN & LEWIS radio show.
    Jerry could be annoying to listen too at times but also funny.
    Dean singing was excellent.

Martin and Lewis also had their own DC COMIC book series.

https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=330191

Rest In Peace!

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    I also remember him being on Letterman on lot. They had that strange Christmas tradition of knocking a meatball (supplied by Rupert's Deli) off the top of the Chrsitmas Tree.

He made his last appearance with Letterman in December 2014 where he tells his famous Clayton "Lone Ranger" Moore story.

The Christmas Tree toss tradition went back to 1998 and Jay easily held the record over Letterman, 12 - 3

Tobe Hooper, ‘Texas Chain Saw Massacre’ and ‘Poltergeist’ Director, Dies at 74

While not as prolific as many directors, his works certainly made their mark on American cinema.
    Pull List: Barbaric,DC Black Label,Dept. of Truth,Fire Power,Hellboy,Saga,Something is Killing the Children,Terryverse,Usagi Yojimbo.

Quote Originally Posted by 4saken1 View Post

While not as prolific as many directors, his works certainly made their mark on American cinema.
    I have only seen The Texas Chainsaw Massacre within the past ten years and while it certainly deserves it's spot on horror lists, I love Salem's Lot and Poltergeist even more so.

RIP

Quote Originally Posted by 4saken1 View Post

Poltergeist is one of the greatest movies ever made.