Page 48 of 243 FirstFirst ... 384445464748495051525898148 ... LastLast

Thread: In Memoriam

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

The first time I saw Mr. Stanton was in Alien. Condolences to his family.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

BANNED

Sometimes, i dont feel sadfor somebody who passed away when they have reach an age of 90 and over. That's a really long life.

Every death is sad for the close ones, family and friends...

For us the sadness is different : perhaps something bitter-sweet (I'm not sure the word is really appropriate) when it concerns a great artist who leaves us at such a respectable age. Time to think about the gifts he shared with us. Time to thank for them too. It brings back memories also and reminds us of the course of time and of our own condition... of the ones we lost too...

Harry Dean Stanton was such a wonderful actor. In Paris Texas he was so touching, so fragile. His appearances in the last season of Twin Peaks were all perfect. That moment especially - so emotional because it's precisely about nostalgia and the passing of time :

All condolences to his family and friends. RIP
    Last edited by Abe; 09-16-2017 at 11:32 PM.

RIP Bobby Heenan

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gryphon View Post
    RIP Bobby Heenan
    Man, that's another wresting legend from my childhood gone this year.

RIP Brain
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Bobby "the Brain"Heenan takes me back to my childhood, the only time I really watched wrestling besides the G.L.O.W which was also pretty hilarious to me. There was Black Jack Lanza, Verne Gagne, frequent tag team partners the Crusher and the Bruiser, Baron Von Rashke. Fun times. RIP Bobby Heenan.

Quote Originally Posted by Gryphon View Post
    RIP Bobby Heenan
    Seriously? Aww, how sad!

Penny Chenery Tweedy, the First Lady of Racing and owner of the legendary Triple Crown winner Secretariat, passed away Saturday Sept 16th at the age of 95.

From her obituary in the Blood Horse magazine:

Following Secretariat's retirement from racing, Chenery became an ambassador for Thoroughbred racing and remained so, even after the champion's death in 1989. She served as the first female president of the Thoroughbred Owners and Breeders Association and president of the Grayson-Jockey Club Research Foundation.She became one of the first women admitted to The Jockey Club, helped found the Thoroughbred Retirement Foundation, and created the Secretariat Vox Populi Award, annually honoring racing's most popular horse, as well as the Secretariat Foundation, which assists and supports various charities within the racing community. Chenery received the 2006 Eclipse Award of Merit for lifetime contributions to the Thoroughbred industry, and in recent years, she advocated for laminitis research and care advancement as well as efforts to ban the use of performance-enhancing drugs in racing.

Secretariat's Triple Crown campaign and Chenery's meteoric rise in the sport were featured in the 2010 Disney Studios film Secretariat, in which she was portrayed by Diane Lane.

"Whether as the owner of Secretariat, the brilliant Triple Crown champion she campaigned nearly a half-century ago, or as a leader and ambassador for the sport she loved, Penny Chenery led an extraordinary life that touched Thoroughbred racing fans and others in a unique and personal way," said Alex Waldrop, president and CEO of the National Thoroughbred Racing Association. "Thankfully, her legacy will live on for many generations to come."
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 09-17-2017 at 04:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Seriously? Aww, how sad!
    He was in bad shape for quite a while. You seriously don't want to see photos of him in recent years. Sad is right, WPP.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Penny Chenery Tweedy, the First Lady of Racing and owner of the legendary Triple Crown winner Secretariat, passed away Saturday Sept 16th at the age of 95.

From her obituary in the Blood Horse magazine:
    I was around back then, but I don't really recall Secretariat's amazing year of '72 (unlike a few years later with Seattle Slew, Affirmed, and the tragic Ruffian). Still, in the pantheon of great horses that includes Man O' War and Seabiscuit, Secretariat may be #1. Kudos to Ms. Chenery (who happened to be my age now back in '72 ) for a fine career.

RIP

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    He was in bad shape for quite a while. You seriously don't want to see photos of him in recent years. Sad is right, WPP.
    I haven't watched or followed wrestling in years, so I didn't know.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I haven't watched or followed wrestling in years, so I didn't know.
    I haven't really followed it myself since the '80s as a spectator, but I would read wrestling news every now and then.

If there was a Mount Rushmore of wrestling managers, I'd put Mr. Heenan on it along with Capt. Lou, Freddie Blassie and Jim Cornette.

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    I was around back then, but I don't really recall Secretariat's amazing year of '72 (unlike a few years later with Seattle Slew, Affirmed, and the tragic Ruffian). Still, in the pantheon of great horses that includes Man O' War and Seabiscuit, Secretariat may be #1. Kudos to Ms. Chenery (who happened to be my age now back in '72 ) for a fine career.

RIP
    I did get to see Secretariat run at the old Arlington Park outside of Chicago (the clubhouse and grandstand burned down some years later). My sister and I went and it was standing room only. I recall watching Seattle Slew and Affirmed Triple Crown and the match race Ruffian had against Foolish Pleasure. Nice to meet an old racing fan here. I don't follow the races as much as I used to though.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I did get to see Secretariat run at the old Arlington Park outside of Chicago (the clubhouse and grandstand burned down some years later). My sister and I went and it was standing room only. I recall watching Seattle Slew and Affirmed Triple Crown and the match race Ruffian had against Foolish Pleasure. Nice to meet an old racing fan here. I don't follow the races as much as I used to though.
    I don't follow it like I used to myself, IM, but I still enjoy it when I can.