Page 61 of 243 FirstFirst ... 115157585960616263646571111161 ... LastLast

Thread: In Memoriam

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Got an alert that Tom Benson, longtime owner of the New Orleans Saints passed away at 90.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Got an alert that Tom Benson, longtime owner of the New Orleans Saints passed away at 90.
    A true hero for keeping the Saints in New Orleans. RIP Mr Benson

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

Former JONAH HEX writer Michael Fleisher dies.

https://www.cbr.com/michael-fleisher...e-passed-away/

Also wrote "The Wrath of the Spectre" stories in Adventure Comics.
    And he wrote the 2-part Crime Doctor-Sterling Silversmith story in DETECTIVE #494-495. Those two issues were the 1st dollar size comics I ever bought.

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Detective_Comics_Vol_1_494

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by signalman112 View Post
    Former JONAH HEX writer Michael Fleisher dies.

https://www.cbr.com/michael-fleisher...e-passed-away/

Also wrote "The Wrath of the Spectre" stories in Adventure Comics.
    And he wrote the 2-part Crime Doctor-Sterling Silversmith story in DETECTIVE #494-495. Those two issues were the 1st dollar size comics I ever bought.

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Detective_Comics_Vol_1_494
    His Spectre work with Jim Aparo during the mid-'70s was my introduction to his writing. It easily ranks with the best of the Bronze Age, too. The one problem I had with him, though, was that he may have been the most sexist writer of that time. Still, he could impress.

RIP
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by Zetsubou View Post
    Charles P Lazarus, founder of Toys R Us dead at 94. Rest in Peace. It is sad that he had to see his business closed shortly before his death. Toys R Us did not outlive him.
    I suppose it could be argued that Mr. Lazarus died of a broken heart after his business went under.

I suppose it could be argued that Mr. Lazarus died of a broken heart after his business went under.
    Technically it wasn't "his" business any more; the company had gone public in the 1970s, and he retired as the CEO in '94.

But he was still the founder, and was still involved after leaving his CEO position.

I'm having flashbacks to the day the last original Peanuts strip was published being the day Charles Schultz died

He was somebody that made TV shows people actually wanted to watch. Well, there was COP ROCK, but other than that, great stuff. NYPD Blue and Hill Street Blues were much watch for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    He was somebody that made TV shows people actually wanted to watch. Well, there was COP ROCK, but other than that, great stuff. NYPD Blue and Hill Street Blues were much watch for me.
    L.A. Law may have been one of Bochco's lesser lights (depending on one's point of view), but I loved that show.

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

L.A. Law may have been one of Bochco's lesser lights (depending on one's point of view), but I loved that show.
    Me too.

And the regular cast featured several strong female characters, a black guy, a Latino, a Jewish couple, a differently abled couple ... Today, right winger twitter would scream "political correctness run amok!"
    It's been so long, was there any kind of LGBTQ* representation? Probably a few years too early for that.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    Me too.

And the regular cast featured several strong female characters, a black guy, a Latino, a Jewish couple, a differently abled couple ... Today, right winger twitter would scream "political correctness run amok!"
    It's been so long, was there any kind of LGBTQ* representation? Probably a few years too early for that.
    Well, it was aired during a time when conservatives had no problem protesting things in the media they didn't like whether it was Married With Children, Playboy, or Ozzy Osburne...off the top of my head I don't remember them having major issues with LA LAW.

Having said that, I agree if that show debuted this year with the same plots, there'd be alt right guys screaming about SJW propaganda.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    He was really good at those ensemble shows. Using those two shows you mentioned, he really made Dennis Franz a TV star. I remember first seeing him on the local PBS channel out of Chicago where they did a filmed performance of the play "Bleacher Bums" about a group of fans at Wrigley Field.

Winnie Mandela is gone.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Academy Award winning director Milos Forman passed away.

Hillary was right!