Page 65 of 240 FirstFirst ... 155561626364656667686975115165 ... LastLast

Thread: In Memoriam

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    I don't know whether this applies to Spade or Bourdain, but I wonder whether there's any correlation between suicide in later life and personalities that seek sensual gratification. Or whether that's even been studied. Maybe it sometimes ends up seeming like a treadmill pursuit as a person ages.
    Sensual in like a love or lust sense, or more broader where it covers like the senses (food, music, etc)? I presume more the former.

It's definitely an interesting question.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    Sensual in like a love or lust sense, or more broader where it covers like the senses (food, music, etc)? I presume more the former.

It's definitely an interesting question.
    Of course it may not apply to them, but in the case of Bourdain I meant the drugs and the food, and in the case of Spade I meant the visual and other gratifications that come with fashion.

These are distinctly modern phenomena. During the period when humans evolved, people ate to stay alive, not for pleasure, and they wore clothes to protect themselves, not to impress onlookers. There was no cornucopia of feel-good drugs on hand for early humans either.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

People also didn't live very long back then.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Pantera drummer and co-founder Vinnie Paul has died at just 54 years of age.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

For those who grew up listening to New York City radio back in the day,
    Dan Ingram, Irreverent Disc Jockey, Is Dead at 83
    By Richard Sandomir - June 25, 2018
    Dan Ingram, a popular disc jockey whose wisecracks and double entendres rippled through the air at rock ’n’ roll stations in New York City from the early 1960s to the early 21st century, died on Sunday at his home in Fort Lauderdale, Fla. He was 83.
    His son Christopher said he died after choking on a piece of steak. He had received a diagnosis of Parkinsonian syndrome in 2014.
    Mr. Ingram preceded the era of shock jocks, but he was a quick-thinking, somewhat bawdy jester who mocked songs, singers, sponsors and the weather at WABC-AM, a powerful Top 40 station that grew in the ’60s with the popularity of the Beatles, the Motown stable of artists and others.
    Later, at WCBS-FM, the groundbreaking oldies station, he continued his drollery while exhuming the music he had played decades earlier.
    “I like to have fun with my listeners,” Mr. Ingram told The New York Times in 1993 when he was at WCBS-FM. “I like them to use their minds. I like them to say, ‘I don’t believe he said that.’ But I don’t like to do sleaze.”
    His irreverence was usually heard in short bursts, often during musical introductions before a song was sung.
    In those exquisitely timed moments, called “talk-ups,” he might ridicule a song by Rosie and the Originals (“And now, ladies and gentlemen, the worst record ever recorded, ‘Angel Baby’ ”), tinker with the title of Elton John’s hit “Someone Saved My Life Tonight” (as “Someone Shaved My Wife Tonight”) and refer to Herb Alpert’s group, the Tijuana Brass, as “the Teeny Weeny Brass.”
    Once, giving the weather report, he said: “I love brief showers. They’re fun. Watch those briefs coming down!”
    You can read the rest of the article at: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/25/o...ead-at-83.html

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Harlan Ellison.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Surprised no one mentioned Joe Jackson, patriarch of the Jackson family.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    Harlan Ellison.
    A true giant, changed the nature of Science Fiction.

And wrote some cool comics.

He will be missed.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

never met Ellison, though I saw him when he spoke at a local convention, maybe in the 1980s. He worked the crowd really well, saying that everyone in our city was "bug***k*, which got great applause, though I'm sure he said the same damn thing anywhere else he spoke. He read his story "All the Lies That Were My Life," which I didn't care for, but his reading was riveting. I saw him a couple more times at San Diego Comicon, usually teamed with Peter David, with whom he had worked out a cute routine of pretend animosity.

DAVID: "I'm just being puckish."

ELLISON: "Well, puck you."

His sixties classic tales made a big impression on me, particularly "Deathbird" and "Repent, Harlequin." I was still writing occasional reviews for COMICS JOURNAL when he and Gary Groth were sued by Michael Fleischer because of remarks Ellison had made about Fleischer in a JOURNAL interview. Personally, I think Fleischer was less offended by what Ellison had said than by the fact that a JOURNAL reviewer had just torpedoed Fleischer's prose book CHASING HAIRY around the same time. I felt like I had a ringside seat as Groth and Ellison became deadly enemies after Fleischer's suit was dismissed. The feud was incredibly convoluted, involving other players like Peter David and Charles Platt, and the magazine GAUNTLET devoted a long, well-researched essay to the mutual bad behavior of both parties, though all that took place before Ellison sued Groth to block the publication of a book touching on their involvement.

I disagreed with a lot of what both Groth and Ellison wrote, though I sympathize with Ellison's love of popular fiction. He was also an unapologetic "comic book guy" at a time when his compeers in fantastic fiction would not dream of being associated with that tawdry medium.

I'm tempted to sum up his career with the words, "Not always deep, but never dull."

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Surprised no one mentioned Joe Jackson, patriarch of the Jackson family.
    Dude wasn't exactly Mr. Congeniality.

Quote Originally Posted by PapaShogun View Post
    According to the CDC, suicide rates in the USA have increased 25% since 1999.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn...cdc/index.html
    Prescription drug use went up an average of over 50 percent since 1999. Correlation alone?

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...1103134804.htm
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Dude wasn't exactly Mr. Congeniality.
    True enough but he was the stage father that pushed them into becoming an act. My Dad met him once years ago when he had a job servicing juke boxes in Gary and other parts of Lake County Indiana. Joe Jackson had some the Jackson Fives records when they were recording on Steel City records and asked my Dad if he would place them in his company's juke boxes. Back then, the plays recorded on the juke box meters were sent weekly to Billboard magazine IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Prescription drug use went up an average of over 50 percent since 1999. Correlation alone?

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...1103134804.htm
    It's a correlation until there is firm evidence of causation :P
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Quote Originally Posted by Zetsubou View Post
    He wrote the Star Trek episode "The City on the Edge of Forever" which I watched a long time ago. It was a great story
    There's a great story behind that too. I read a book by Herb Solow and Robert Justman about the behind the scenes stuff from Star Trek. Ellison's story was rewritten several times by Roddenberry and others. The original story had a rogue Enterprise officer dealing drugs. Solow and Justman both agreed that the script as written by Ellison needed rewrites and was too expensive to shoot in Ellison story. There's quite a lot out there about the backstory. There's some disagreement as to how much it would have cost to shoot. The part about an evil version of the Enterprise called the Condor sounds like something the later did in the season 2 episode Mirror, Mirror.

Acknowledged as the best single episode of Star Trek, “The City on the Edge of Forever” also was the show's most divisive. Written by the ferociously talented, mercurial Harlan Ellison, the original script follows a corrupt officer on the Enterprise named Beckwith who deals in drugs—literally, narcotics of sound. In trying to elude capture, Beckwith transports back to old Earth through a “time vortex” on an alien world and changes history. With the future altered—the Enterprise is now a predatory battleship called the Condor—Kirk and Spock, with the help of the ancient, monolithic Guardians of Forever, go back through time to stop Beckwith. On Earth circa 1930, they meet a WWI veteran named Trooper and a social visionary named Sister Edith Keeler. Keeler is the focal point in time. Intended to die, she will be saved from a fatal tra!c accident by none other than Beckwith, changing history...unless Kirk and Spock can stop him. But Kirk has fallen in love with Keeler. At the pivotal moment, Kirk freezes and it is Spock who intercepts Beckwith as Keeler is killed, hereby correcting the course of time.

Robert Justman, co-producer of Star Trek, loved the episode—but agreed with Roddenberry that it was too expensive to be filmed. Now starts the controversy. The amount of the potential cost overrun is disputed by Ellison. Roddenberry sends the script through several rewrites from several rewriters. Ellison is livid. (He shares his side of the story in his incendiary The City on the Edge of Forever: The Original Teleplay That Became a Classic Star Trek Episode.) A vastly revised script, directed by Joseph Pevney, is filmed at last with Joan Collins as Keeler. Beckwith is gone; in his place, Dr. McCoy accidentally injects himself with a powerful stimulant that causes intense paranoia. It is he who escapes into Earth's past and changes history. The Condor subplot is erased, as is Trooper. Still, the episode gets raves and ultimately wins a Hugo Award. Ellison, however, wins the Writer's Guild top screenplay award—for his original script.

In the years and decades that follow, Roddenberry publicly states, numerous times, that the revisions had to be made because Ellison “had Scotty dealing drugs” and because the original script's budget was, he says, tens of thousands of dollars too high. Among the people who dispute Roddenberry's version: Herb Solow, the Desilu executive in charge of Star Trek's production. In his book with Justman, Inside Star Trek, Solow details the trek of “City” from inception to filming to aftermath.
    There's also a copy of a memo from Justman to Roddenberry about the script problems and budget

R.I.P. Steve Ditko.

Steve Ditko, Spider-Man Co-Creator, Dies at Age 90
    By The Associated Press
    July 6, 2018
    NEW YORK — Police in New York say Steve Ditko, who co-created the Spider-Man and Doctor Strange characters for Marvel Comics, has died. He was 90.
    Lt. Paul Ng says Ditko was found on June 29 in his Manhattan apartment and was pronounced dead at the scene. No further details were immediately available.
    Ditko, along with Stan Lee, introduced the world to Peter Parker, and his alter-ego Spider-Man in 1962 in an issue of "Amazing Fantasy."
    A year later, Ditko introduced the world to surgeon-turned-metaphysical superhero Doctor Strange.
    The adventures of Spider-Man and Doctor Strange have been turned into blockbuster films.
    Ditko left Marvel in 1966, and returned the following decade. One of his later creations was Squirrel Girl, a cult favorite among comics fans.
    https://www.nytimes.com/aponline/201...eve-ditko.html