Page 66 of 243 FirstFirst ... 165662636465666768697076116166 ... LastLast

Thread: In Memoriam

A Legend, a strange man, but a singular talent.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Zetsubou View Post
    RIP, Steve Ditko. We shall miss you.

When I read some of his works on "The Question", "Captain Atom" and "The Hawk and the Dove", I was under impression that Mr. Ditko is a conservative. He also pencilled "Chuck Norris and Karate Commandos" comic book based on a cartoon. Chuck Norris is a Republican who voted for Trump.
    Ditko was a Libertarian deeply devoted to the philosophy or Ayn Rand.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

That's one of the things that's made Ditko a mixed bag for me.

I love so much of his marvel work, but then I read some of the stuff he put into Mr. A down the line and it's just...

Yikes, my dude. Yikes.

There's no doubting his impact on comics, regardless, and we all owe him a great debt.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Ditko was a Libertarian deeply devoted to the philosophy or Ayn Rand.
    Which is odd considering Spiderman and Dr Strange both began as exercising their talents largely for their own self-interests before being humbled into altruistic heroism.

Then again I'm not sure how a libertarian superhero would even work.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    That's one of the things that's made Ditko a mixed bag for me.

I love so much of his marvel work, but then I read some of the stuff he put into Mr. A down the line and it's just...

Yikes, my dude. Yikes.
    Yeah, same with some of Frank Miller and Mike Baron's later works.
    Pull List: Barbaric,DC Black Label,Dept. of Truth,Fire Power,Hellboy,Saga,Something is Killing the Children,Terryverse,Usagi Yojimbo.

Quote Originally Posted by wjowski View Post
    Which is odd considering Spiderman and Dr Strange both began as exercising their talents largely for their own self-interests before being humbled into altruistic heroism.

Then again I'm not sure how a libertarian superhero would even work.
    Because even though Ditko was co-creating the stories, Stan, a liberal democrat, was writing the script.

"With great power" was all Lee.

I knew that it was coming, though I thought he might actually outlive Stan.

Along with William Marston, Ditko can lay claim to being one of the first creators to engage with philosophical issues in the medium. Whether one likes or dislikes his philosophical stance is irrelevant.

I wonder what the super-Marxist critics will have to say about his legacy.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

One of the greatest comic book artists ever. Right up there with Kirby and the others. Prayers of peace for his family and friends.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by ouroboros View Post
    I knew that it was coming, though I thought he might actually outlive Stan.

Along with William Marston, Ditko can lay claim to being one of the first creators to engage with philosophical issues in the medium. Whether one likes or dislikes his philosophical stance is irrelevant.

I wonder what the super-Marxist critics will have to say about his legacy.
    As someone very far to the left, I have nothing but positive things to say about his legacy. Spider-Man changed the game. I would be willing to bet that none of us would be here if it weren't for Spider-Man. Regardless if you're a fan of the character or not, his creation changed what people expected from comics. Fantastic Four was small, welcome alteration from what was happening at the time, while Spider-Man was a radical shift. If he just created Spider-Man his legacy would be secure, but then he decided to create Doctor Strange too. While not as commercially successful, I would say, one of the true masterpieces of the silver age. Then he spent time creating characters that would be the template and muses for possibly the greatest and most successful comic book story of all time (Watchmen). Not only was he a strong creator, he was an influence that is nearly unparalleled.

Had we met, we would have vehemently disagreed on politics. But, I wouldn't have missed the opportunity to shake the man who may helped save my life as a teenager.

So now you don't have to wonder anymore.

Did he have a family? I thought he was single and had no children?
    The one thing we can say for certain about Ditko is that he was private enough for us to have no idea. /To the best of our knowledge/, he has no living relatives.

Being private means he also had no friends either. If there is no family or friends, then his funeral will be a lonely one, unless fans will come to attend his funeral.
    I don't think Ditko has to worry about an empty funeral if he didn't explicitly want one. I'm sure his remains will be disposed in a manner in accordance with his will, presuming he set one up.

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

Tab Hunter passes away.
    I just recently watched his guest appearance on "McMillan & Wife".

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...was-86-1057871

Jon Schnepp passed away at the age of 51.

He lived 90 years. He had time to set up a will.
    "had time to" doesn't always mean that he actually did it.
    He may not have bothered to do anything about it, especially if there wasn't anybody he was planning to leave anything to.

He lived 90 years. He had time to set up a will.

Has Stan Lee and other colleagues of Mr. Ditko attended Ditko's funeral, I wonder?
    But if it's true that there's been no funeral, why would anyone attend?