Page 8 of 240 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858108 ... LastLast

Thread: In Memoriam

rip gary shandling

larry sanders show was top shelf

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

James Noble, Governor Eugene Gatling on the sitcom Benson passed away yesterday at 94. What very few folks here might know is that Mr. Noble had a role based on a comic book character in his long acting career. He played a haughty and sinister Hiram Lodge in the little known or remembered 1990 NBC telemovie, Archie: To Riverdale and Back Again. In the film, Lodge was bankrolling Reggie in a scheme to tear down Pop Tate's to expand a health club Mantle ran, bringing him into conflict with Veronica who joined the very adult (early 30's) Archie and company, back in town for a class reunion to stop him, which they do. The film was goofy as hell, but enjoyable on its own merits. Anyone here remember the movie, or, better yet, seen it like I had?
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 03-29-2016 at 10:05 AM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Just got this sad alert on my phone: Patty Duke passed away at 69.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Just got this sad alert on my phone: Patty Duke passed away at 69.
    Yeah, just heard that. Though I can recall watching reruns of The Patty Duke Show when I was still sleeping in a crib, The Miracle Worker is easily the best work she ever did. If you haven't seen it, do it now. Great film and performances.

RIP
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Yeah, just heard that. Though I can recall watching reruns of The Patty Duke Show when I was still sleeping in a crib, The Miracle Worker is easily the best work she ever did. If you haven't seen it, do it now. Great film and performances.

RIP
    That was a great transition from stage to screen. Thank goodness director Penn was able to use both Anne Bancroft and Patty from the stage production so we could see how their performances worked on the stage. One of the truly moving endings to a film.

She grew to accept it's cult following but if I ever come across Valley of the Dolls I will watch that one too. I think it kind of killed her movie career but she did a lot of TV work and her role in SAG. She really overcame some big issues with her bipolar disorder and became an advocate to help remove the stigma.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 03-29-2016 at 10:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    She grew to accept it's cult following but if I ever come across Valley of the Dolls I will watch that one too.
    It isn't very good (probably her worst performance, too, though it's Patty at her sexiest), but the film is fun (and Sharon Tate is just out-of-this-world gorgeous).

First James Noble, now Patty Duke. Sadly, celebrity deaths often happen in threes. To quote Bill Goldberg, who's next?

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    It isn't very good (probably her worst performance, too, though it's Patty at her sexiest), but the film is fun (and Sharon Tate is just out-of-this-world gorgeous).
    Yeah, and it makes you feel chills about her tragic fate and how her character in the movie wanted a baby.

My favorite in the film is Susan Hayward as the Broadway veteran who gets her wig flushed down the toilet by Patty Duke's Neely O'Hara.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    My favorite in the film is Susan Hayward as the Broadway veteran who gets her wig flushed down the toilet by Patty Duke's Neely O'Hara.
    Agreed. She nailed that part.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    First James Noble, now Patty Duke. Sadly, celebrity deaths often happen in threes. To quote Bill Goldberg, who's next?
    No, the don't. People wait for the third death over an undetermined timeframe, then start counting again. There also isn't a clear definition of who is a celebrity. It's a false myth.

Merle Haggard, country music legend, dies at 79

(CNN)Merle Haggard, the grizzled country music legend whose songs such as "Okie from Muskogee" and "Fightin' Side of Me" made him a voice for the workingman and the outsider, has died. He was 79.

Haggard died Wednesday, his birthday, of complications from pneumonia at his home in Northern California, his agent Lance Roberts told CNN.
    Country Music Legend. RIP
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    The Hag has been my favorite county singer since the mid-'70s. As a songwriter, he was just as outstanding. To say he was one of the greats is an understatement.

RIP

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Ah, man. That's terrible.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

BANNED

RIP music producer, reality show contestant and gay divorcé David Gest.

Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.