Page 97 of 243 FirstFirst ... 478793949596979899100101107147197 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,455 of 3635

Thread: In Memoriam

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post

Robert Parker, who had been very popular on the "Northern Soul" scene in the UK, has passed away at 89. His big hit "Barefootin'" is included on many r&b compilations.

I never heard of him when I lived in NY before the '90s, but Barefootin' is a Beach Music staple here in the South.

RIP
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    They appeared on ABC at night after Dick Cavett back in the mid-'70s, IM, but I believe they were edited for content. I never saw the show until 1977 on WNET (I even remember the episode - "Hamlet" was on it). Between them and Benny Hill, British TV seemed so weird compared to what was on in the US. Of course, I watched them every time I could.

Nobody could do a funnier old English lady like he could. Nobody.

RIP
    They were all pretty hilarious as someone's wife or mother. But it seems Terry was always playing someone's mum if needed in a skit.

Oh, I don't remember them being on ABC. I was probably too young to stay up that late. In those days there was only one TV in the house. Every once in a while I would try and sneak back downstairs but if you got caught Mom or Dad would tell you to get back to bed!

I do remember that ABC seemed to get all the British imports and over the summer months they would play them instead of reruns. They had a comedy show the Marty Feldman Comedy Machine . That's also how I got to see the Avengers with Steed and Mrs Peel. The got the rights to the color episodes only because that was a big deal back then. I didn't see the B/W episodes until much later.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Oh, I don't remember them being on ABC. I was probably too young to stay up that late. In those days there was only one TV in the house. Every once in a while I would try and sneak back downstairs but if you got caught Mom or Dad would tell you to get back to bed!
    We're about the same age, IM, so I also had all the same problems you stated. In fact, that first Monty Python episode I saw only happened because my parents went to a party (leaving the TV to we kids ).

I do remember that ABC seemed to get all the British imports and over the summer months they would play them instead of reruns. They had a comedy show the Marty Feldman Comedy Machine . That's also how I got to see the Avengers with Steed and Mrs Peel. The got the rights to the color episodes only because that was a big deal back then. I didn't see the B/W episodes until much later.
    I never saw the Marty Fieldsman show, but I can recall having to go the my crib as The Avengers opening credits were rolling (circa '68). I had to wait a few years before I became a fan watching it in rerun form.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    We're about the same age, IM, so I also had all the same problems you stated. In fact, that first Monty Python episode I saw only happened because my parents went to a party (leaving the TV to we kids ).

I never saw the Marty Fieldsman show, but I can recall having to go the my crib as The Avengers opening credits were rolling (circa '68). I had to wait a few years before I became a fan watching it in rerun form.
    The Marty Feldman show was just a one time summer replacement I think. When I saw the title Avengers I thought it was going to be about the Marvel characters! But I was old enough to catch on to it's tongue in cheek style.

Was also reading how Terry Jones was very much a scholar and considered an authority on Chaucer. I barely remember reading the Canterbury Tales !
    !

Quote Originally Posted by 4saken1 View Post
    RIP. And in honor of his body of work: Can we have his liver then?

My phone just hit me with a push notification that Kobe Bryant just died in a helicopter crash.
    Dark does not mean deep.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    My phone just hit me with a push notification that Kobe Bryant just died in a helicopter crash.
    yep Kobe and 4 others died not even an hour ago .

cant believe it. he was the best to ever play the game. a childhood hero.

****. And I think his wife just had another baby, too.

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

Not Kobe Bryant.

For **** sake.

literally the day after Lebron passed him on the scoring list, this is freaking surreal

Just saw this pop up on my PC. How horrible!

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

just............damn.

Yep, just hear the Bryant news.

All four of his kids died too
    BB

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Batson View Post
    All four of his kids died too
    You might be right, but I hope not. That's just too much.

Kobe Bryant among 5 dead in helicopter crash in Southern California

Basketball legend Kobe Bryant is among five people who died in a helicopter crash in the wealthy Southern California residential neighborhood of Calabasas, ABC News has confirmed.

There were no survivors in the crash around 10 a.m. local time Sunday, fire officials said in a press conference. The Sikorsky S-76 helicopter crashed under unknown circumstances, a spokesperson from the National Transportation Safety Board told ABC News.
    It is unclear who the helicopter belonged to or where it originated from and was going to. Firefighters are working on containing the fire that resulted. None of the other victims have been identified.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.