Page 99 of 243 FirstFirst ... 49899596979899100101102103109149199 ... LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,485 of 3637

Thread: In Memoriam

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Speaking of something different, one of Silverman's most notable failures occurred in 1980 while at NBC when he greenlighted Pink Lady & Jeff, a six episode series that was voted one TV Guide's 50 all-time worse TV shows (in the magazine's 50th year, it placed 34th) and was said to have killed the long running variety show format. Pink Lady were Mitsuyo Nemoto and Keiko Masuda, an uber popular Japanese pop music duo who barely spoke passable English and Jeff Altman, a then (and now) little known stand-up comic, the show was a train wreck with dopey comedy skits, Pink Lady warbling songs and D-list guest stars like Greg Evigan, Red Buttons and Sherman Hemsley. Short and sweet, the show was a mess that's still talked about, and reviled to this day. And it was on Silverman's watch.
    I know of Pink Lady. Jeff Altman had a great look and he could act as well as being funny.

Silverman also nixed shows such as "The 7-Million Dollar Man", "The Bionic Boy" and "The Bionic Dog" just to name a few.............

Speaking of something different, one of Silverman's most notable failures occurred in 1980 while at NBC when he greenlighted Pink Lady & Jeff, a six episode series that was voted one TV Guide's 50 all-time worse TV shows (in the magazine's 50th year, it placed 34th) and was said to have killed the long running variety show format. Pink Lady were Mitsuyo Nemoto and Keiko Masuda, an uber popular Japanese pop music duo who barely spoke passable English and Jeff Altman, a then (and now) little known stand-up comic, the show was a train wreck with dopey comedy skits, Pink Lady warbling songs and D-list guest stars like Greg Evigan, Red Buttons and Sherman Hemsley. Short and sweet, the show was a mess that's still talked about, and reviled to this day. And it was on Silverman's watch.

Those were truly different times.

So glad they are over.

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelMan View Post

Those were truly different times.

So glad they are over.
    That was creepy, surreal and a tad misogynistic.

Par the course I suppose

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    That was creepy, surreal and a tad misogynistic.

Par the course I suppose
    Silverman made ABC #1 with what they called backed then jiggle or T&A television. so I guess he thought it was going to work with this train wreck (no, not Super Train - that was another train wreck ). Well (though dated themselves), Three's Company and Charlie's Angels it wasn't (I thought the ladies of Pink Lady were cuties, however).

Having said that, the guy left a considerable mark on television and deserves kudos just for bringing Lynda Carter to television for the boys of my generation.

RIP
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Two notable passings:

Mary Higgins Clark, the "Queen of Suspense" at 92

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation...dead-at-age-92

One of the greats, no doubt, and belongs on the All-Time Mystery Writers shortlist.

RIP

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gryphon View Post
    Just heard about it. To generations of moviegoers, he’ll always be....Spartacus!
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    One of the greats, no doubt, and belongs on the All-Time Mystery Writers shortlist.

RIP
    Definitely!

Quote Originally Posted by Gryphon View Post
    I know he was 103, but still hard to say good-bye!

Just heard about it. To generations of moviegoers, he’ll always be....Spartacus!
    The first time I ever heard his name was a commercial for that terrific film, but Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea was my first Kirk film. Been a fan now for almost 50 years.

RIP

My favorite western of all time The Posse was a movie I watched with my dad every week it seemed. he and I still watch it about once a month. It is the best Kirk Douglas movie in the world to me.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

One of my favorite movie scenes:

Where is Sparticus?

-all of them stand up and claim to be Sparticus-

A single tear rolls down Sparticus' cheek ...

Must see movie. RIP Kirk Douglas!
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 02-05-2020 at 05:27 PM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

So many great movies to choose from by the late Mr. Douglas, but I think I like Billy Wilder's Ace in the Hole the best. One of the most cynical films all-time. he plays the proverbial guy you love to hate.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

As a Navy man (retired), one of my favorite Kirk Douglas roles was from The Final Countdown, a rather hokey sci-fi flick (and guilty pleasure) from 1980 where he's the captain of the aircraft carrier Nimitz which gets sucked into a time warp and winds up in the Pacific in 1941 just before the Pearl Harbor attack (Spoiler alert: Nimitz doesn't intervene in the attack).

Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 02-06-2020 at 02:27 AM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Rest in peace Kirk Douglas. He lived a good life to the fullest. His film Spartacus (1960) was a very great film that I have liked.

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    The first time I ever heard his name was a commercial for that terrific film, but Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea was my first Kirk film. Been a fan now for almost 50 years.
    That was my first Kirk Douglas film too, such a good film. I think his performance in Paths of Glory (while not one of his three nominations for Best Actor) is his best performance on screen.
    #WeAreALLspartacus
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."