Fantastic Member Bslythegamerguy's Avatar

Default The Shadow: Midnight in Moscow official discussion thread!

Okay, so I just finished this first issue and while it was a bit slow I highly enjoyed it. We got to see some of The Shadow in action at the beginning of the book and then things cooled down as we're treated some some nice (and important) dialogue while Lamont and company enjoy a nice posh dinner, before seeing the crew enjoy a nice night out on the town. All in all the book was a bit slow but you can tell it's building toward something big and I felt Chaykin did a wonderful job on the story and interiors.

I believe this hits Wednesday and I'd love to know what you all felt about it!

Everyone should be picking this up today, it's Chaykin at his best and it's one of the best first issues of anything related to The Shadow since they've been publishing him. This is the best I've seen the Shadow since the whole Light -vs- Shadow storyline in The Shadow's ongoing series last year, I'm super excited for issue #2 and I'm hoping that the low orders don't discourage DE from doing more with The Shadow. It was their mistake for putting the solicit out there a year in advance, but man......this is good stuff.

Enjoy!

I'll be picking this up at the weekend. I'm always up for some Chaykin comics, and I loved his last Shadow story, so there's no way I won't be on board for the whole thing.

Astonishing Member

It was OK. Chaykin really underwhelmed with the art. I also think it would have been better in black and white like Satellite Sam.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    It was OK. Chaykin really underwhelmed with the art. I also think it would have been better in black and white like Satellite Sam.
    Or they could have used flat colors, which also suit Chaykin's style.

I re-read this issue last night and enjoyed it even more on the second read. While I agree that Chaykin's art style here isn't particularly amazing, it's still strong and gives the impression of old school comics meet New York and I really kind of enjoyed it, I don't think it was sloppy or cartoony or anything like that. The story was fun and we were treated to some classic Shadow action at the beginning followed by some classic Lamont Cranston, all in all it was pretty darn good and my ONLY major complaint is the way the word bubbles were drawn and how there was no point toward the characters who were speaking and how the bubbles kind of flattened out.

This just arrived today! Like the story, for once in a Dynamite Shadow there seem to be no Far Eastern mystics on the way, so a different story seems on the cards, which is refreshing. Artwork is a very individual style, not sure everyone in post-war New York was so well fed - but way better than the other Dynamite Shadows have been. Looking forward to #2. If its as good as Shadow Year One which is about to end then it will be darn good as BSly says.

and I love the cheeky inclusion of Tarzan, lets hope though that a team-up is NOT on the cards!

All-New Member

Issue one was killer, if you like The Shadow at all you should give this a try! Chaykin knows this character well and I trust that he's going to finely craft a story here that really will knock out socks off, so far the first issue had a lot of class and some vintage Shadow action and I really liked it a lot. The art jumped from not bad to very good here and there, but as a package this series has it all and I'm sure will be remembered fondly by Shadow fans.

Issue #2 should be out later this month, can't wait! I'm hoping issue #2 has more of The Shadow going stuff that The Shadow does and less Lamont in his normal day to day. From the blurb in Previews I'd say we will see some serious action here!