Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Another bit on Wonder Woman: Earth One.

And the stories are all about them discovering what the real world is. There are a couple more to come, and maybe I’ll break the cycle...

--the big influence is the Wonder Woman: Earth One book I’ve been doing for the last couple of years with Yanick Paquette, and we’re almost finished. That changed the entire playing field for me. I wrote a book that wasn’t reliant on the structure of boys adventure fiction. It opened up a whole new way of looking at things. Beyond Wonder Woman, I think there may be some very different ways of thinking about things.
    -Grant Morrison

http://www.pastemagazine.com/article...n-unleash.html

That's the only bit on Wondy in the interview, but I think it's on point with Perez and Azzarello writing her. Even Johns of recent. That she somehow wins them over with something else/more than just being able to fly or bench pressing the earth.

I love it when writers seem to feel their writing revitalized by something they're currently penning. Perhaps in time Diana will become the go to character when it comes to writing "something else". Something I hope also shows when Scott Snyder will write her.

With that. I can't wait to read what Morrison makes of it. Also the meta on feminism that he'll most definitely will write into the story.

The thing Grant describes above is also quite similar to a thing called "girls comics" in England during the 70s. How writing such comics (that actually outsold boys comics) made the writers become better at writing comics. Stuff that made the likes of Judge Dredd possible. Pat Mills (creator of 2000AD) has written tons on the subject championing such books.
    Last edited by borntohula; 03-22-2015 at 12:35 AM.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I'm glad to hear that this is almost finished. I hope we see it solicited for Fall.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

I can't wait for this book to come out. I'm very curious to see how Morrison handles Wonder Woman and her feminist roots.
    Author of the Instant New York Times bestselling novel, The Prophets, from G.P. Putnman's Sons.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Man, I've never been excited about the coming of a new Morrison book in my life, but here I am!

I really hope this book is good, and I hope it helps to really revitalize interest in Diana. I hope that this book ends up being Diana's All-Star Superman.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Him calling it a mother and daughter story sounds promising.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

The Mother-Daughter bit is really refreshing, especially as the "Daughter of Zeus" stuff has been practically non-stop ever since the New 52 began. Even if this book is nothing more than the relationship between Diana and Hippolyta, I will be satisfied.

I'm hoping that some Morrison cliches don't creep into this book, but wouldn't be surprised if they do. Etta will probably look at the Amazon tech and fashion and be all "It's glam! It's retro post-modern hyper chic!" or some crap.

They LAUGHED at my theory SteveGus's Avatar

The utopianism that's the core of her concept and character needs to be put back somehow. Hopefully Morrison will show a way to do that.
    "At what point do we say, 'You're mucking with our myths'?" - Harlan Ellison

BANNED

Yeah the boys go on space adventures and the women stay home baking muffins in their little bathing suits. I don't like the sound of that but I'll reserve my judgment until I've read it.

BANNED

Well at least they are almost finishing it, they will probably release that next year.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    Man, I've never been excited about the coming of a new Morrison book in my life, but here I am!

I really hope this book is good, and I hope it helps to really revitalize interest in Diana. I hope that this book ends up being Diana's All-Star Superman.
    I think it'll not only be a quite different Wonder Woman book, but also a different Morrison story.

While I (as in hope) think he'll put one and another classic reference in (I'm hoping everything from husband hunting, mole people to space kangeroos) I don't think it'll come close to the stuff in either Allstar Superman or Action comics. But fingers crossed there'll be lots of cool WW stuff in it

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I'm hoping that some Morrison cliches don't creep into this book, but wouldn't be surprised if they do. Etta will probably look at the Amazon tech and fashion and be all "It's glam! It's retro post-modern hyper chic!" or some crap.
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveGus View Post
    The utopianism that's the core of her concept and character needs to be put back somehow. Hopefully Morrison will show a way to do that.
    http://www.theguardian.com/books/201...n-wonder-woman
    http://ifanboy.com/articles/grant-mo...woman-project/

According to these interview, the story will be quite sexy, big on feminism and also very meta. The story puts on trial as it's telling her origin (that seems to do without her being made out of clay.). This since she -according to Morrison- always is put on a trial as a character, on why she isn't selling enough and so on. I think it's a cool way of doing it.

I quite like the look on the art shown. It has a very european vibe to it. Sensual instead of sexy.

Quote Originally Posted by HoVistoLaMadonna View Post
    Yeah the boys go on space adventures and the women stay home baking muffins in their little bathing suits. I don't like the sound of that but I'll reserve my judgment until I've read it.
    I'm sorry, did you misread the bit about him writing: "--a book that wasn’t reliant on the structure of boys adventure fiction."

I can't wait. Glad that the Kangas are back because I think there is a pic of one. I do think people might think the Kanags will be to stupid for today's standards but I think it can work if there are other creatures on the Island. Glad that Diana might not be the only child on P.I anymore

BANNED

Can not wait for this book.
    I have a feeling this is going to completely blow superman/batman earth ones out of the water.
    Hopefully if so, DC will push full steam ahead with more of these and faster.

Quote Originally Posted by borntohula View Post
    According to these interview, the story will be quite sexy, big on feminism and also very meta. The story puts on trial as it's telling her origin (that seems to do without her being made out of clay.). This since she -according to Morrison- always is put on a trial as a character, on why she isn't selling enough and so on. I think it's a cool way of doing it.
    Could you point me to where Morrison indicates he's doing without the clay origin?
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Largo161 View Post
    Could you point me to where Morrison indicates he's doing without the clay origin?
    he said clay origin is creepy, but it would be a deviation from Marston if Morrison just don't do it

Spadassin Extraordinaire Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    he said clay origin is creepy, but it would be a deviation from Marston if Morrison just don't do it
    Just because he says he will take inspiration from Marston's run doesn't mean he will do every thing the exact same way.
    He has implied in an interview he had some cool new idea about Diana's birth, so apparently no clay this time
    Hold those chains, Clark Kent
    Bear the weight on your shoulders
    Stand firm. Take the pain.