Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mighty Member

Default Another bit on Wonder Woman: Earth One.

And the stories are all about them discovering what the real world is. There are a couple more to come, and maybe I’ll break the cycle...

--the big influence is the Wonder Woman: Earth One book I’ve been doing for the last couple of years with Yanick Paquette, and we’re almost finished. That changed the entire playing field for me. I wrote a book that wasn’t reliant on the structure of boys adventure fiction. It opened up a whole new way of looking at things. Beyond Wonder Woman, I think there may be some very different ways of thinking about things.
    -Grant Morrison

http://www.pastemagazine.com/article...n-unleash.html

That's the only bit on Wondy in the interview, but I think it's on point with Perez and Azzarello writing her. Even Johns of recent. That she somehow wins them over with something else/more than just being able to fly or bench pressing the earth.

I love it when writers seem to feel their writing revitalized by something they're currently penning. Perhaps in time Diana will become the go to character when it comes to writing "something else". Something I hope also shows when Scott Snyder will write her.

With that. I can't wait to read what Morrison makes of it. Also the meta on feminism that he'll most definitely will write into the story.

The thing Grant describes above is also quite similar to a thing called "girls comics" in England during the 70s. How writing such comics (that actually outsold boys comics) made the writers become better at writing comics. Stuff that made the likes of Judge Dredd possible. Pat Mills (creator of 2000AD) has written tons on the subject championing such books.
    Last edited by borntohula; 03-22-2015 at 12:35 AM.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I'm glad to hear that this is almost finished. I hope we see it solicited for Fall.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Absolute Power, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Birds of Prey, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Justice Society of America, Shazam, Titans, & Wonder Woman.

I can't wait for this book to come out. I'm very curious to see how Morrison handles Wonder Woman and her feminist roots.
    Author of the Instant New York Times bestselling novel, The Prophets, from G.P. Putnman's Sons.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Man, I've never been excited about the coming of a new Morrison book in my life, but here I am!

I really hope this book is good, and I hope it helps to really revitalize interest in Diana. I hope that this book ends up being Diana's All-Star Superman.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Him calling it a mother and daughter story sounds promising.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

The Mother-Daughter bit is really refreshing, especially as the "Daughter of Zeus" stuff has been practically non-stop ever since the New 52 began. Even if this book is nothing more than the relationship between Diana and Hippolyta, I will be satisfied.

I'm hoping that some Morrison cliches don't creep into this book, but wouldn't be surprised if they do. Etta will probably look at the Amazon tech and fashion and be all "It's glam! It's retro post-modern hyper chic!" or some crap.

They LAUGHED at my theory SteveGus's Avatar

The utopianism that's the core of her concept and character needs to be put back somehow. Hopefully Morrison will show a way to do that.
    "At what point do we say, 'You're mucking with our myths'?" - Harlan Ellison

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfBaldwin View Post
    I can't wait for this book to come out. I'm very curious to see how Morrison handles Wonder Woman and her feminist roots.
    +1

10char
    #MagnetoWasRight

I kinda of wonder what books they will release for her 75 anniversary. I don't think they did anything for her 50 anniversary. What should we do if they don't do anything for her 75 anniversary. For all wondering officially Oct 25 1941 is when she came out. GA comic always came out earlier than the cover dates.
    Last edited by Javier Velasco; 04-04-2015 at 12:44 AM. Reason: Profanity

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    I don't think they did anything for her 50 anniversary.
    I believe "War of the Gods" was intended to celebrate WW's 50th. True, it turned into a mess, but I think that was supposed to be the 50th celebration piece.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Oh God, it feels so good to see real Etta again.

Quote Originally Posted by borntohula View Post
    -Grant Morrison

http://www.pastemagazine.com/article...n-unleash.html

That's the only bit on Wondy in the interview, but I think it's on point with Perez and Azzarello writing her. Even Johns of recent. That she somehow wins them over with something else/more than just being able to fly or bench pressing the earth.

I love it when writers seem to feel their writing revitalized by something they're currently penning. Perhaps in time Diana will become the go to character when it comes to writing "something else". Something I hope also shows when Scott Snyder will write her.

With that. I can't wait to read what Morrison makes of it. Also the meta on feminism that he'll most definitely will write into the story.

The thing Grant describes above is also quite similar to a thing called "girls comics" in England during the 70s. How writing such comics (that actually outsold boys comics) made the writers become better at writing comics. Stuff that made the likes of Judge Dredd possible. Pat Mills (creator of 2000AD) has written tons on the subject championing such books.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Him calling it a mother and daughter story sounds promising.
    Even if you dont like his stories, Grant Morrison just gets the essense of these characters and what they're about. A mother and daughter story... that's actually wonderful.

I thought that Azzarello would explore that what with Diana leaving her mother and island and all but noooooope. Blah, blah, blah Conan on steroids is threatening the world, blah, blah. It seems Morrison's WW does leave the island with Steve and is then tried for it, and like i always say, confict is interesting. Being a child messiah who is chosen out of 3000 year old veteran soldiers to become an ambassador because.... reasons.... doesnt make the story any interesting. It's actually as bad as all these latest Hollywood movies about some "chosen" kid that is supposed to save the universe, and old war veterans like Harrison Ford are waiting for him to appear. (Ender's Game anyone?)

Anyway.... I'm just hoping that Morrison finds the angle to WW and that the other writers take notes. Because even if you look at WW's best stories, come on, Morrison is right, all of them are constructed based on this formula for male readers. At best she's just self righteous and preachy about stuff, at her worst she's just Xena.