Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    BANNED

Now that I've read three issues of Weirdworld. I must say that I am excited for the Black Knight series, since that would be the setting. Too bad the actual universe is far more interesting than Akron. The concept of Weirdworld sounds very Kirby-esque imo.

Hey, brothers and sisters! What did you think of the newest issue of Weirdworld?

My immediate thought upon finishing issue #4: YES!!!

(I loved it, in other words.)

Highlights:

1) I really loved the Swamp Witch's meta-commentary on the purpose of Weirdworld being where lost things go... to be found. This, in conjunction with the meta-commentary on her character's aimlessness and lack of purpose, I thought, was very smart.
    2) I loved seeing the different responses from Arkon and from Skull regarding the Swamp Witch's offer.
    3) I loved the subtle foreshadowing of Arkon seeing Polemachus upside down (due to being upside down underwater) leading to the final page showing the possible relationship between Weirdworld and Polemachus in terms of location.
    4) THAT ART IS JUST SO DAMN GOOD. I especially like the swirly eyes that Arkon gets when the Swamp Witch feeds him some psychedelic butterflies.

But what was most fun?

5) After so many years of waiting, we've all finally got the confirmation we've long sought: Yes, my friends - the Marvel Multiverse does indeed include the characters of Eric Carle!

-Pav, who is very hungry for the next issue...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

This was the first issue I wasn't enthralled with. It was still good, but perhaps because there wasn't as much crazy action, I didn't feel it as much as the first three. The art is still fantastic, but it felt slowed down to me with all that exposition. I'm usually cool with a heavy exposition issue, but for some reason, I didn't like it all that much this issue.

The new issue was boring, but I have faith it will redeem itself with a big climax. The art was still great. But these are the kind of issues that make trade waiting seem tempting. I would not have noticed this issue feeling like a lull if I was reading the whole series in one sitting.

#4: That cliffhanger! The one where his shiny home city is right under the cliff where he is ready to hari kiri lol?

Classic. Can't wait for issue #5.

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    5) After so many years of waiting, we've all finally got the confirmation we've long sought: Yes, my friends - the Marvel Multiverse does indeed include the characters of Eric Carle!
    haha I'd read a comic drawn by Eric Carle.

I liked this issue a lot. Thought it was an improvement over #3 (so far my least favorite of the series). The Del Mundo art was extra lush with all of those marshy greens.
    Dept. H, Manifest Destiny, Moon Knight, Nighthawk, Power Man and Iron Fist, Strange Fruit

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk_Guy View Post
    haha I'd read a comic drawn by Eric Carle.

I liked this issue a lot. Thought it was an improvement over #3 (so far my least favorite of the series). The Del Mundo art was extra lush with all of those marshy greens.
    This comic was worth it for those last two pages alone. You can really feel the depths of Arkon's despair, and suddenly its "SURPRISE!".

So I was looking over the Marvel comics being released today, and I saw that there's a trade reprinting something called "Greenberg the Vampire."

I know nothing about this comic, and I can't help but wonder if we'll see something from this comic in the next volume of Weirdworld. After all, Marvel released trades of the old Weirdworld and Skull the Slayer before the new Weirdworld came out.

Anybody know anything about this comic and/or heard anything about some upcoming use of Greenberg?

-Pav, who could be totally wrong...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    So I was looking over the Marvel comics being released today, and I saw that there's a trade reprinting something called "Greenberg the Vampire."

I know nothing about this comic, and I can't help but wonder if we'll see something from this comic in the next volume of Weirdworld. After all, Marvel released trades of the old Weirdworld and Skull the Slayer before the new Weirdworld came out.

Anybody know anything about this comic and/or heard anything about some upcoming use of Greenberg?

-Pav, who could be totally wrong...
    It's a DeMatteis comic about a vampire living in Greenwich Village. I don't really see the connection with anything we've seen in Weirdworld. Technically, it was a creator-owned book for DeMatteis, but it may have gotten tied in at Disney with the Abadazad stuff.

BANNED

i haven't been reading weirdworld but just...how is this land gonna be discovered by the uncanny avengers and how could black knight simply just end up there randomly?

The final issue of this dropped today. Again, cool art, but the story was lacking. The big crystal guy was predictable, and it just made me dislike the main character more for not having seen it coming from the get-go.

Didn't mind crystal guy but I would have preferred if this stayed stand-alone without hints to what was happening in Secret Wars and lead-in to upcoming ongoing that I don't care that much about due to new writer. This could have been A+, but its closer to B now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragdoll View Post
    The final issue of this dropped today. Again, cool art, but the story was lacking. The big crystal guy was predictable, and it just made me dislike the main character more for not having seen it coming from the get-go.
    Agreed. The art was fantastic, but the story felt truncated. I felt like there were about 20 issues of ideas squished into a five issue mini. That was kinda cool in the first three issues, but the last two have been lacking. Could have ben fleshed out a lot more.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysalis_Changling View Post
    i haven't been reading weirdworld but just...how is this land gonna be discovered by the uncanny avengers and how could black knight simply just end up there randomly?
    Magic. Just run with it.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysalis_Changling View Post
    Considering what just happened with the multiverse, anyone could "simply just end up there randomly."
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier