Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    Agreed. The art was fantastic, but the story felt truncated. I felt like there were about 20 issues of ideas squished into a five issue mini. That was kinda cool in the first three issues, but the last two have been lacking. Could have ben fleshed out a lot more.
    I really loved this series, but I agree that the brevity of the series did do harm to the overall effect. Arkon's despair would've been that much morpowerful if we followed his journey for, say, twenty issues. Still, this run was great and the final issue was no different. The ending was particularly interesting in that Aaron simultaneously reset his own story and looked forward to the next run. We know, despite seeing a shift in protagonist, that Arkon is still out there trying to find his way home, utterly lost - but at least he has a dragon now!

While the army by Arkon's side was a little too neatly put together, it did provide our eyes with the stimulus of all these fantastic characters who, in their time, may get some exploration. I'm especially interested in seeing what comes next for the Crystal Warriors. Will the presence Ogeode in the new volume mean more screen time for Warbow and Crystar? Personally, I'd like to see the side characters reemerge from out of the blue while still allowing for the continual use of new weird characters. (More Skull the Slayer too, for example!) BTW, I loved the implication that it was Crystar who the Swamp Witch needed, and that Arkon's role was necessary but a supporting role nonetheless: it allows us the realization that the the spotlight is never on "the center" of Weirdworld because it has no center.

Really looking forward to more.

-Pav, who (in explanation of his late review) has been incredibly busy...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Pav, I appreciated your reviews throughout this series, thank you kindly.
    Dept. H, Manifest Destiny, Moon Knight, Nighthawk, Power Man and Iron Fist, Strange Fruit

Whoops! Double post.

-Pav, who makes mistakes sometimes...
    Last edited by Pav; 11-09-2015 at 02:59 PM.
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.

--------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk_Guy View Post
    Pav, I appreciated your reviews throughout this series, thank you kindly.
    Hey, Hawk_Guy! Thanks so much for the kind words. I tend to let others start up the review threads, but I was really stoked about this title and figured I'd take on the responsibility this time. haha

I only wish I could've posted my thoughts on the final issue of the mini in more detail and in a more timely manner, but I'm busier right now than I probably ever have been in my adult life; I didn't even do a second read-through of the final issue until yesterday!

Y'know, it's funny that decompression tends to get a bad rap, but it seems like the majority of us would've liked to see this mini move much more slowly. I mean, the pace really harkened back to the original days of Marvel where ever issue presented a new story and/or villain, and it would've been great to had more time with the settings and characters we were introduced to.

Also, it'll be really interesting to see what the new volume is like under Humphries rather than Aaron. I'm a little bummed that Arkon is no longer our protagonist, but only because I was just getting to know the guy! Truthfully, though, as long as Mike del Mundo is on art chores and the tone corresponds to the title, I'm buying this book.

-Pav, who still wants to see the Kith show up...

--------------------

BANNED

Happy Birthday Douglas Moench!!!

http://hassleinbooks.blogspot.nl/2013/03/guest-blog-marvel-premiere-38.html

BANNED

This black and white magazine features the comic adaptation of The Mirrors of Thuzun Thune by Robert E. Howard.

King Kull has become bored and depressed as his reign has been unchallenged. Even the occasional assassination attempt cannot lift his depression. Then a mysterious servant girl suggest he visit Tuzun Thune, an ancient wizard who knows the secrets of life. Excellent story and illustrations. Written by Doug Moench. Artwork by John Bolton.

Apparently Issue #4 for WeirdWorls is coming out March 2nd but it's not on the soliciations for next week?
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

BANNED

Watch that first step, pal! This realy, really was a to me stupendous way of bringing back Arkon The Imperion to the forefront! Miss this character

I'm so sad this series is over. There's so much story left to tell! The fun, clever and emotional writing! The gorgeous art! I want more!

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    I'm so sad this series is over. There's so much story left to tell! The fun, clever and emotional writing! The gorgeous art! I want more!
    Me too! More Black Knight also!

Why does Ogeode in issue 1 of volume 2 not look anything at all like he does in the old Crystar comics????

What a bittersweet ending! I had so many thoughts to post about the final issues and the series in general, but I've just been too busy to spend much time on here.

I will say that I liked how the ending of this volume mirrored the ending of Aaron's volume in certain ways. Perhaps every volume of Weirdworld will end by not really ending!

But honestly, I don't expect to see this title given another chance anytime soon. We did get 11 awesome issues though, and I will treasure them! Hopefully we do get a continuation of Weirdworld in some shape or fashion - especially if it means more Mike del Mundo!

Quote Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post
    Why does Ogeode in issue 1 of volume 2 not look anything at all like he does in the old Crystar comics????
    I wondered about that, too, and hoped we'd get an explanation at some point.

My fan theory is that it has something to do with Ogeode having access to multiple bodies.

-Pav, who DIDN'T like Becca being made a Wilder Man...

--------------------

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post
    He was trying to get his human form back.
    Last edited by MyriVerse; 06-09-2016 at 10:45 AM.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

BANNED

I agree with the art being gorgeous.

BANNED

To me, Crystar was really awesome looking Kinda like an illuminated Colossus!