Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Time for a new Swordsman

With the universes possibly merging I think it's time for a new Swordsman more in line with the MCU/Ultimate line. He could be the SHIELD prodigy agent that taught MCU/Ultimate Hawkeye under his wing and taught him everything he knew. He could be like Marvel's Snake Eyes type. I'd love to see a crazy awesome swordsman on the Avengers. One who doesn't suck..... Thoughts???

Incredible Member

Even if Secret Wars wasn't happening we've been overdo for a new Swordsman for a while now, Marvel had a good chance to introduce a new one in Hawkeye when they brought in Jacques Duquesne's apprentice but they pretty much killed any chance of him taking over when Clint blinded him though I suppose a blind Swordsman is technically doable.

Honestly I think we have more than enough heroes working for SHIELD already but it’s still an interesting idea. Personally I’ve always felt that Swordsman should be someone with a collection of different swords accessible to him depending on the situation. Over the course of his run you could have him compensate for his weapons lacking any real gimmicks by having him accumulate a number of magical weapons for various purposes, possibly something like Gamora’s sword or a lightsaber to deal with cosmic level opponents or just carry around in his civilian identity as a concealed weapon.

Would likely move away from the longsword and rapier as his signature weapon to better separate him from the previous incarnations of the character and trade them out for an adamantium katana. What’s more give him a secondary weapon so that he’s not solely reliant on a single weapon, like a vibranium wakazashi and/or a concealed dagger housed in the hilt of his katana. I can see him carrying around a number of throwing knives to give him the option of short ranged combat, and a few carbondanium weapons on hand for purposes of dealing with opponents with healing factors.

As for his costume I’d say take a page out of Black Panther and Maverick by giving him Vibranium mesh-weave with adamantium greaves and bracers for better protection, the latter housing retractable a pair of retractable blades based off a katar for offensive purposes. Honestly I think I would model his helmet after Iron Fist mask a bit more than Jacques or Struckers.

Quote Originally Posted by R0NIN View Post
    With the universes possibly merging I think it's time for a new Swordsman more in line with the MCU/Ultimate line. He could be the SHIELD prodigy agent that taught MCU/Ultimate Hawkeye under his wing and taught him everything he knew. He could be like Marvel's Snake Eyes type. I'd love to see a crazy awesome swordsman on the Avengers. One who doesn't suck..... Thoughts???
    I actually really liked the Swordswoman from Avengers World.

Just judging from the cover of All-New Hawkeye #3, we are due for an appearance from Swordsman. Most likely Duquesne, but it never know.

They introduced a female Swordsman just a few months ago.

Anyone else remember the new Swordsman Fraction/Aja introduced early in their Hawkguy run-

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey616 View Post
    Anyone else remember the new Swordsman Fraction/Aja introduced early in their Hawkguy run-

Several of us have referenced him, thought he had potential. Wouldn't mind seeing him come back, even if it's as a blinded Swordsman.

the second Swordsman is still out there somewhere. always liked him back from the 90s bomber jacket days.

I was hoping we would see a Ultimate Swordsman after the Ultimates 2 series. A Super soldier-ish type character that would fit the mold of Ultimate Cap, Widow, Hawkeye.

I agree with Draegwolf, and would like to see a "suped-up" katana incorporated. A revamped modern costume/uniform. I didn't think the 616 Hawkeye would adapt the modern, ultimate, movie look. However, I prefer the original Swordsman costume to the Thunderbolts era design.

Espionage, tactical, Shield Operative themed Swordsman would be cool.... Snake Eye's, but the bravado of Swordsman.

Master assassin, Hand trained Swordsman turned good guy. I always thought Swordsman was the most interesting when interacting with the Avengers cast....and Black Knight too for that matter.

BANNED

I really liked Andreas to be honest. The way Osborn handled him was poor in my opinion and I would like to see him return in some fashion.

BANNED

I don't know....I never really saw the appeal in the Swordsman. There seems to be several sword type characters, that aren't used as often, that I find it hard to find one character better than the other.

Sorta would prefer a character like Blade, Black Knight, or Psylocke get more of a push since they have more to them than being a master swords men.

Just my 2 cents though.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darthkostis View Post
    I really liked Andreas to be honest. The way Osborn handled him was poor in my opinion and I would like to see him return in some fashion.
    I do gotta agree here, out of all the Swordsman Andreas was really the only one I cared for out of the characters that officially assumed the mantle. If we can't have a new Swordsman then him coming back would be the next best thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Trident View Post
    I don't know....I never really saw the appeal in the Swordsman. There seems to be several sword type characters, that aren't used as often, that I find it hard to find one character better than the other.

Sorta would prefer a character like Blade, Black Knight, or Psylocke get more of a push since they have more to them than being a master swords men.
    It generally comes down to how characters are handled and more often than not outside of a few characters (Psylocke, Zemo) Marvel typically doesn't utilize swordsmen as well as they could. It's kinda like how a lot of people talk crap about Hawkeye being an avenger because he's just an archer, yet Clint has been shown to be more than the sum of his parts on multiple occasions. In a world of super powers, technology, and guns archaic weapons like swords and archery are portrayed as being outdated, yet we still have an overflowing abundance of ninja's and mystic characters running around as major contenders. Handled right Swordsman could make for an interesting character befitting a modern day swordsmen in a world of superheroes and villains. If you want to make for a real interesting twist, have him hail from Latveria and be dedicated to seeing Doom removed from power.

Psylocke actually gets a lot of exposure since more often than not she's typically a main character in one or more of the X-series, out of the characters mentioned she's really the only one that is regularly used at all.

Black Knight is another character that has been sidelined and more or less forgotten, yes he makes the occasional appearance here and there but even then he's usually playing second fiddle to Pete Wisdom and/or Captain Britain. In the grand scheme of things he really doesn't do much these days which is a real pity because we're talking about a character that went full on 180 from being another technologically driven character like Iron Man to a full on mystical character with some really powerful magic items. It's always annoyed me that he's never been part of Excalibur or used as a mainstay member of the Defenders (lets face it, that team really needs to be developed into something other than a a team of cast off Avengers), he has the potential for some interesting story arcs just going off his possession of the Ebony Blade alone. That's not including any problems he could end up inheriting from his late uncle Nathan Garret aka the original Black Knight, Marvel just needs to decide what they want to do with him and then focus on seeing it through.

BANNED

I see what your saying but I don't think Hawkeye is a good comparison. Yeah, his "thing" is only archery but the appeal of Clint, to me at least, has always been his personality, ingenuity, and the wild card factor. Those things are what makes the character stand out and pushes him to superhero instead of being a guy with a bow. So far I can't say any of that about any of the previous Swordsman characters.

But hey if Marvel can figure out away to make a good character themed around that item go for it. But I have yet to find the appeal to that characters theme/handle/mantel.

Yeah but she's just one of dozens of sword chicks. Magic, Elektra, Gamora, Kitty, Angela, Colleen Wing etc.etc. There are so many females swordsman it's just another drop in the bucket. Whereas actual male swordsman HEROES are quite rare. I specify heroes because there are plenty of anti heroes, villains, former villains, crazy you don't know what they are mercenary types swordsmen out there as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Trident View Post

Just my 2 cents though.
    I feel the opposite. I'd want a guy who gets by purely on his skills. Like Shang Chi or Temugin but with swords.
    Last edited by R0NIN; 03-24-2015 at 08:50 AM.