Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    "Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Default Batwing and Birds of Prey Both Cancelled

http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2014/05...august-2014#47

Same with All-Star Western (artwork by Dawyrn Cooke though, so at least it is going out with a bang). It's a shame that Batwing is heading since I have really enjoyed it, but not so much with Birds of Prey. The book that had no one we cared about, was run into the ground by editorial, and just merely existed for the past year.

Any thoughts from you guys?

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2014/05...august-2014#47

Same with All-Star Western (artwork by Dawyrn Cooke though, so at least it is going out with a bang). It's a shame that Batwing is heading since I have really enjoyed it, but not so much with Birds of Prey. The book that had no one we cared about, was run into the ground by editorial, and just merely existed for the past year.

Any thoughts from you guys?

Can't say I'm surprised, especially in Batwing's case. Fortunately, he's part of Batman Eternal. His fans still get to see him.

Birds of Prey was a long time coming considering the quality of the book, surprised it took this long. I was expecting it to be axed along with Teen Titans and Suicide Squad. Hopefully the realunch for this will look better than those, but I'd like a Black Canary ongoing to take its place instead.

I remain indifferent towards Batwing.

After the changing of the mantle, I'm indifferent on what happened to Batwing. And Birds of Prey just didn't click for me.

It is a shame that all of DC's titles that are led by minorities beyond white women (WW, Batwoman, Harley, etc.) can't seem to survive. However, this should tell DC that if they are going to push for diversity, they need the book to be above and beyond the rest. And they need to shove the book down people's throats via advertising/hype.

But they only save that type of push for two characters: Batman and Superman.
    Last edited by Double 0; 05-19-2014 at 01:08 PM.

I could care less about Batwing once it dumped David, and I never cared about BoP in the reboot, but neither title is a surprise. I was surprised they sicked around as long as they have.

Astonishing Member

Thank God for Birds of Prey. The book should never have been launched given the disconnect between editorial and the creators

Always Rakzo

I don't think anyone will ever miss the current incarnation of Birds of Prey.

Relaunch please.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Batwing's cancellation is truly sad because Luke is on the verge of getting a lot of mainstream attention via Eternal.

Maybe they will release a new team book and Batwing can be on it.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Double 0 View Post
    After the changing of the mantle, I'm indifferent on what happened to Batwing. And Birds of Prey just didn't click for me.

It is a shame that looks like all of DC's titles that are led by minorities beyond white women (WW, Batwoman, Harley, etc.) can't seem to survive. However, this should tell DC that if they are going to push for diversity, they need the book to be above and beyond the rest. And they need to shove the book down people's throats via advertising/hype.

But they only save that type of push for two characters: Batman and Superman.
    To be fair, Batwoman is both Jewish and a lesbian. So that's pretty unusual in comics.

Writer At Comic Watch Dylan Davison's Avatar

Birds of Prey started out great, then editors made problems, then it lost control and went down since then. Its sad, I really like Birds of Prey. They should have let the writers (Duane) do what they wanted from the start. Maybe then it would have been around.
    Pulls:
    Coffin: La Muerta, Lady Death, Hellwitch. Valiant: Shadowman. DC: Poison Ivy.
    Check Out My Comic Reviews And More At Comic Watch!

Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Double 0 View Post
    It is a shame that all of DC's titles that are led by minorities beyond white women (WW, Batwoman, Harley, etc.) can't seem to survive. However, this should tell DC that if they are going to push for diversity, they need the book to be above and beyond the rest. And they need to shove the book down people's throats via advertising/hype.
    Now let's be fair, DC put a LOT of effort on Batwing. Batwing's numbers would mean cancellation on the first waves and yet they keep the book going, even retooling it and bringing some really good writers to save it. Heck, it can even be argued that they DID shove the book down the people's throats at every chance. The book failing isn't DC's fault.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Tzitzimine View Post
    Now let's be fair, DC put a LOT of effort on Batwing. Batwing's numbers would mean cancellation on the first waves and yet they keep the book going, even retooling it and bringing some really good writers to save it. Heck, it can even be argued that they DID shove the book down the people's throats at every chance. The book failing isn't DC's fault.
    They should have just renumbered Batwing when Luke took over the mantle. It would have made a larger splash. Most people are still unaware that there is a different person under the armored-cowl.

BoP relaunch with Helena B please.

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by NewMutant View Post
    BoP relaunch with Helena B please.
    Yes please!

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Tzitzimine View Post
    Seriously, I don't even know how Batwing was able to survive for so long with its abysmal numbers, DC really wanted this title to last.