Super Moderator

Default REVIEW: Silk, #2

Robbie Thompson and Stacey Lee's "Silk" #2 continues to delve into Cindy Moon's past and present as she tries to find her place in the city.

Full review here.

All-New Member

I'm sorry but this did not deserve nearly half of stars you gave it . did I like the story yes except for one major thing they spent six pages retelling of what happen in issue one. they also did this issue one . isn't that what the first page is for ? if you must remind us the story don't be so obvious about it . it make it seem like the writer thinks the readers are idiots. comicbooks are expensive enough with out padding and fillers . the art was beautiful but the story in the issue should occupy all twenty two pages not just 18. good day
    Last edited by Philip A Moore; 03-23-2015 at 04:13 PM.

I thoroughly enjoyed this issue. From the story to the artwork, this was probably my favorite buy this month from a comic perspective.

First props due is to the artwork. In issue #1 I felt there was an inconsistency of style, as if in some panels Cindy didn't quite look the same as in others ... almost as if the artists were still "getting used" to how she's structured, what colors to use, weight of the lines, etc. In #2 it was all solid. Everything looked both fantastic and more importantly: consistent. It was a joy to read and the panels flowed nicely in an easy to follow manner. Might just be me, but when this is missing it pulls me out of a story quickly ... and when there's only 20 pages it can sometimes make it too hard to ever enter a story.

Character wise Cindy continues to show layers, which is wonderful. One one hand the conversation like tone of her inner dialog flows well and "feels" human. But more interesting are those darker tones the comic seems to play with. In issue 1 many readers speculated if Cindy might be a bit mentally unstable in the way she returned to her bunker ... something that could easily have been fans "Reading too much into a simple action". In issue #2 that interpretive door is opened again in a single panel when she literally bears her claws. The style of her eyes and face change dramatically to something a bit more dark/aggressive. Am I reading too much into it again? That's two issues in a row where the writers seem content to let us think that there may be a very dark side to Cindy ... while a very friendly and charming girl dominates the rest of the issue. Again: it adds depth in just a few pages, further pushing things forward.

The main story is moving very slowly ... just a little hint once again on whats going on behind the scenes. This is pretty par-the-course for comic reading but it's being executed well so I can't complain. But the story does still move forward, and when combined with the other elements of this issue I again say: this a great issue.