Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default I'm not a mysogynist and I want my Thor back :)

I've read Wonder Woman for a quarter of a century, pausing only because of the latest changes.

I watched Avatar The Last Airbender with my 7 year old daughter and we loved it. Now we are watching Legend of Korra and think it is fantastic!

And I would like my Thor back please

Oh I can wait. It doesn't have to be right this second. After all, he is still in the book, even if he is sharing the spotlight with T.H.O.R. [The Hammer's Other Recipient].

But eventually, I will want Thor returned to his rightful place holding aloft Mjolnir. And that doesn't make me a mysogynist.

Well, at least I don't think so.

According to polls released this week, the current volume of Thor is outselling its immediate predecessor by quite a bit, and that's with the female co-lead. Yes, co-lead. Thor is still there, and a big part of the book is how he is dealing with his loss.

http://www.salon.com/2015/03/19/femi...han_dude_thor/

Okay, that's great. But make no mistake, as much as I love seeing women characters excel in books and be represented as more than eye-candy, I still want bearded Chris Hemsworth bodied Thor back in the lead spot. Even if it means sales drop again.

Why?

Well, Thor is the first book I ever collected, not just bought, way back in 1980. This was around the time of the Celestials Saga, and just before Walt Simonson's epic run. I love Thor. I have not always loved the direction the book has taken, and I have not collected it [pardon the pun] religiously. But the character itself has always been a favorite. It's actually painful to see him so reduced at the moment, though of course his innate nobility remains.

I admit it is also kind of annoying seeing him made to look rather doltish in comparison to T.H.O.R. You can blame Simonson, who showed as a Thunder God who was both articulate and intelligent, matching brains with Loki and outwitting Hela.

Now it needs to be said there is a kind of danger in saying that T.H.O.R. is a better selling character than Thor as a way of proving a point about feminism. Because while this might be based on evidence, it is not going to make a difference to me in regards to Thor. I will still want my Thor back, and frankly am going to be a bit miffed if a lot of people spend time asserting he is the second best Thunder God.

"See. We took away your favorite toy and showed you it was rubbish. Now love us for it." Hmmm...somehow I am not sure that will work in creating the kind of gender harmony feminism espouses.

But mostly my point here is this - if folks are not liking the current run, or are looking forward to the bearded Lord of the Living Lightning once again holding aloft might Mjolnir, it is not necessarily because we hate something, but possibly because we love something.

Now, everybody who wants to can continue enjoying the current run. I will certainly be there too, but right this second I am going to watch more Legend of Korra with Gwenny,

If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Okay, that's really unfair and I feel kind of bad, but that just came out like two days ago, and with that headline I couldn't resist. I really love that Thor too, he's one of my favorite characters, and we don't know much about this new one yet. But the way you're putting it makes you come across as if you don't really care about any factors other than Making It How It Used To Be (And Therefore When I Liked It Best Because That's When I Started Reading it), though lord knows that's a feeling I've had when it comes to a fair number of characters myself. And, just to clarify, I don't think you're acting or thinking misogynistically. But the idea of pushing aside a major new female character (even when she gets her own replacement hammer one day, that's her inevitable fate as much as it was Kyle Rayner's or pretty much any semi-permanent legacy character besides Kate Bishop) to put the most masculine dude in comics back on top, a character that's already come to mean quite a lot to people and is as noted selling well, just to make things like they were back in the past, and therefore 'correct'...it has implications from a symbolic and publishing standpoint, y'know? If not on the part of those wanting it or even doing it, in what it says about the industry as a whole and the direction it's moving in.

It's likely Odinson will be wielding Mjolnir again by the end of Aaron's mega-arc anyway, but the idea of her needing to be dropped like a hot potato as if she's damaging the brand by undermining the 'real' Thor--even though he's still a co-star in the comic, and is the one in pretty much every other Marvel media project going on right now (as in, the ones people actually pay attention to outside a couple hundred thousand die-hards) hefting the hammer--has some really concerning implications, to say the least.

If nothing else, if you really want to convince people of your pure intentions here, maybe don't go so hard on the defensive. I'm sure you're just trying to ease worries, but headlines like that really, really set off alarm bells.
    Buh-bye

Most people agree with you. Thor is Thor. And the new female Thor has been pushed in less than likable ways. She's really less of a character and more of an agenda which is a real shame.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Spectacular Member rhymeswithparc's Avatar

Obviously you're not a misogynist; you want to see a character in comics. It's ridiculous to suggest otherwise.

I've devoured every issue so far and I find her to be a delightful, developing character, the only agenda I'm getting is "awesome story".

In any case, despite her remarkable sales, the original Thor will be back eventually. The new Thor's incredible sales and critical reception likely means TPTB will find a role for her in the new world too. Everybody wins!

Lick on, sweet prince. Sea Hound's Avatar

I have mixed feelings about Jason Aaron as a writer in general, and as a Thor writer in particular.

The first 11 issues of his first run, (basically the extended Godbomb arc) illustrated by Ribic were magnificent comics. Then the quality of art and writing took a massive drop, (5 stars to 2 1/2) on the nine realms jaunt, and lifted a bit when Ribic came back for the Earth arc. I have to say I never particularly warmed to Roz Solomon as either a love interest or a character in general; and given that she is probably the new Thor, that doesn't help. (His other new characters: the three granddaughters, Grumpy Old Thor, and Feckless Young Thor are all miles more entertaining).

So the new run: we don't know for 100% sure who the new Thor is; so we don't know her history, connections, family or even what her face looks like. And Aaron hasn't spent much time letting us get to know her as a person. She's had a few fights, and otherwise he's given us very little to help us connect with her. In the meantime man-Thor and his interactions with his family have been much more interesting.

Perhaps this will improve, perhaps not.

Preferring the old Thor certainly doesn't automatically make anyone a misogynist. I'd call myself a feminist and so far I prefer the old Thor too. (Fan for years). It would be certainly be misogynist to complain about a woman being worthy to lift Mjolnir, given that several blokes, a horse-faced alien and a frog have already done it. Exploring the unworthy storyline, and what it means for Thor in itself I'm fine with. Some of the criticisms of the book and name change have come across as sexist, but it's a mistake to dismiss everyone's misgivings for that reason.

I'm still unconvinced that handing over his name has had a sufficient in story justification. Out of story, of course the adventures of Nu-female-Thor is obviously going to sell better and generate more headlines for Marvel than inventing a brand new character, and having her pick up the hammer under her own name. This must surely have been part of the reason for the story to go this way.

Best case scenario: when this storyline eventually ends, He-Thor becomes worthy again, picks up his hammer and name, and carries on; hopefully attracting getting some new fans in the process. We already know he becomes worthy again in the future, although he still loses an arm. (I'm sure some of those new readers will read some of the old stuff). In the meantime She-Thor is more interestingly written and acquires a hammer of her own, and goes on to her own book. I'd prefer her to do so under her own name, personally.

There's still a lot to like about this new volume: not least Dautermann's splendid art.
    "Self has no time for this."

BANNED

I was recently made aware of what it would mean if 616 Jane Foster turns out to be the secret identity of 616 Thordis.

Since 616 Jane Foster has cancer than by Odin's beard! YES, YES, YES
    let her continue to be The Hammer's Other Recipient!
    Last edited by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear; 03-20-2015 at 04:42 AM.

I think it's mindboggling that this volume of Thor still manages to sell this much. The writing is by far the worst I've ever seen Aaron wright. It is insulting, a very very weak "take that" to people who'd rather read about Thor.
    But still, there seems to be a group that considers this "good" or "acceptable" writing.

Maybe I'll just reread my JMS Thor, or Simonsen Thor.

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    Most people agree with you. Thor is Thor. And the new female Thor has been pushed in less than likable ways. She's really less of a character and more of an agenda which is a real shame.
    If the original Thor is still around, then what agenda is there other than making a story? <---that is a genuine question because I am not reading this currently.
    They could Wally West it and just make the original Thor *POOF!* and disappear for all the rest of ever. But, I don't think that has happened has it?
    "All it takes for sexism to prosper is for good men to see nothing."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    Probably not "most" people. Clearly this new Thor appeals to quite a few people.

Quote Originally Posted by Cinnamon View Post
    I think it's mindboggling that this volume of Thor still manages to sell this much. The writing is by far the worst I've ever seen Aaron wright. It is insulting, a very very weak "take that" to people who'd rather read about Thor.
    But still, there seems to be a group that considers this "good" or "acceptable" writing.

Maybe I'll just reread my JMS Thor, or Simonsen Thor.
    Not to be a grammar cop but it's too funny not to point out in a complaint about bad writing. Oh, sorry, "wrighting."

As for the new Thor, this volume has been great. I loved Aaron's run on THOR: GOT but this is every bit as good, if not better.

Yeah, don't be a grammar cop. Would you be as apt to be a grammar cop if you actually agreed with the other person's comment? After you play grammar cop in a reply, it kind of removes any merit in what you have to say.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Water View Post
    Yeah, don't be a grammar cop. Would you be as apt to be a grammar cop if you actually agreed with the other person's comment? After you play grammar cop in a reply, it kind of removes any merit in what you have to say.
    But it was funny, yo. Tell me you didn't smirk.

Also, how an argument is presented has nothing to do with its merits. Scientific papers aren't judged on narrative structure.
    I write about the intersection of science, comics and culture. Check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Dog View Post
    But it was funny, yo. Tell me you didn't smirk.

Also, how an argument is presented has nothing to do with its merits. Scientific papers aren't judged on narrative structure.
    Oh, sweetie, we're just not going to get into this. It's entirely too early.
    But, yes, I smiled. :P

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Water View Post
    If the original Thor is still around, then what agenda is there other than making a story? <---that is a genuine question because I am not reading this currently.
    To get progressive press to write nice things about Marvel. This does not happen if the make Atlas a female or other more obscure character.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Probably not "most" people. Clearly this new Thor appeals to quite a few people.
    Quite a few = most?