Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Marvel/DC Fan View Post
    I read the New Thor, but I passed on All-New Captain America. The 3 main reasons from my perspective are:

1. I like Sam Wilson, but Remender had him come off to me as kind of an a-hole when he was introduced as Captain America and the way he was written in Axis.

2. Steve Rogers just came back as Cap not too long ago. I thought they re-hashed someone taking over the mantle too soon.

3. Part of the appeal of Captain America for me has always been the man out of time idea. You take that away and you just have somebody in a red, white and blue costume with a shield.

My thought is that after the Winter Soldier movie, Marvel wanted to up interest of the Falcon. Feeling he couldn't carry his own title, they had to attach the Captain America mantle to him. Really, with a good writer, I think the Falcon could have his own limited or solo series. One of my favorite limited series from the 80's was the falcon solo.
    Sam was inverted which is why he was acting strangely.

Quote Originally Posted by Panfoot View Post
    "That said, the story reads like Sam Wilson continues to fail, time and time again"

That's what really put me off after picking up the first 2 issues.
    You nailed it.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Sam was inverted which is why he was acting strangely.
    I was actually talking about before the inversion.

Amazing Member

The new Thor book is a continuation of TGOT and Thor Odinson still has an active role in the book, some of his fans are still reading the book, but perhaps the "who is she bait plot" makes all the difference.
    Last edited by Bjorn; 03-23-2015 at 06:58 PM.

Anyone know how well Remender's prior volume of Captain America was selling? 50k copies isn't anything to sneeze at in this market, even if it's not what the new Thor is doing.

Yeah, though, I do think a lot of the difference in sales is he writers. Aaron has been killing it on Thor (though for budget reasons I'm reading it months later on Marvel Unlimited), while Remender's Captain America has gotten mixed reviews (to the point I haven't made it a priority to read it). I was intrigued by the relaunch with Sam, but not enough, I guess. :/

All-New Member

When will these "female Thor outsells male Thor" articles finally outline that the reason the first issue had those numbers is because it had 10 to 13 variants/exclusive covers. And the second issue only had 2-4. Of course there was a drop off, but not in readership as the article states. But in issues that retailers purchased - especially if they were chasing variants. Retailers like DCBS and Mile High and Midtown Comics alone can inflate numbers with how many comics they orders. Readers haven't even SEEN the first issue when the orders for #2 are placed. There's been far too many sales discussions for this ignorance of sales figures to keep going. The dropoff wasn't readers who left. If anything, the numbers for #2 are far closer to the actual sell through numbers than the numbers for #1. The same can be said of issues 3 and 4. There are many that argue that the true readership of new titles isn't reflected in the sales numbers until around issue 5 or 6. And even then, retailers have plenty of issues on the stands.

Spouting opinions without facts weakens the cause.
    Last edited by Mikael; 03-23-2015 at 05:41 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    Does anyone really not know who the female Thor is by now? It's that female SHIELD agent, clearly.

I suspect a lot of fans figure that Steve will be back eventually and don't really want to give Sam a chance? Heck the new Hail Hydra series is about his adopted son rather than Sam, and with Secret Wars we have umpteen alternate versions of Steve Rogers but as far as I can tell just one alternate Sam in Civil War.
    The series All New Captain America: Fear Him was basically about Ian as well. RR seems to be wanting to firmly establish Ian and possibly Jet to the Captain America franchise for reasons I would largely imagine have to do with Steve Rogers popularity. So it really seems Sam is getting screwed out of his big moment currently.

As to female Thor....I think some more time is needed to determine if it has long term stability. Remember how the New 52 started out? People bought the first arch of several books to see how things were going to turn out but then we began to see bug drops after the six to seventh issues of several series. Hopefully, the book will still do well and real Thor will still have major relevance to the MU as well. Even though I never been that interested in that franchise/property.
    Last edited by Trident; 03-23-2015 at 05:58 PM.

I was actually talking about before the inversion.
    But Sam didn't become Captain America until after Axis. And he didn't exhibit any bad behavior in All New Cap, only in Captain America & The Mighty Avengers.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    But Sam didn't become Captain America until after Axis. And he didn't exhibit any bad behavior in All New Cap, only in Captain America & The Mighty Avengers.
    Sam was Captain America in the Axis title and he was pretty much portrayed a @#@&^()#.

Which really bothered me since the first major even Sam is actually featured in had him displayed as a completely unlikable character.

BANNED

Aaron's Thor has a little more going for it, I suppose. Spinning out of Axis probably didn't help Sam's book, and it might be that Falcon just isn't the draw that Bucky was for some readers. Some stuff succeeds, some stuff doesn't. Way of the world.

Fantastic Member

I dropped both comics recently. It was hard to believe Aaron wrote both the previous Thor series and this one; the previous one was far, far superior. I don't find an artificially created mystery (who is the new Thor? Well, gee... we're in her head for like 75% of each issue. Thank goodness she never ever thinks about who she is!) compelling, and I'm not sure why Odin is being written as a woman-hating buffoon, other than to give Freya an easy boost.

As for Captain America... well, I was hoping Remender writing Sam would catch my interest in ways that Remender writing Steve (or the mess of people in Uncanny Avengers) hadn't but... no dice.

Ultimate Member

My thought is that after the Winter Soldier movie, Marvel wanted to up interest of the Falcon. Feeling he couldn't carry his own title, they had to attach the Captain America mantle to him. Really, with a good writer, I think the Falcon could have his own limited or solo series. One of my favorite limited series from the 80's was the falcon solo.
    I've been reading All New Cap, but I had the same feeling. That Marvel thought they'd repeat the success of Bucky by having Sam be temporary Cap for awhile. Having said that, I'm thirsty for a kick ass comic with Sam as the Falcon.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

The one solid we can give Remender for All-New Captain America is that he did away with the farce that was "Snap Wilson." That's the selling ticket, I think, to anybody interested in All-New Captain America with Falcon as the titular character. Didn't like how a socially conscientious character who wanted to do right by his community and the world around him and was probably up there with Steve Rogers in terms of pure goodness was downgraded into a thugging and pimping racist stereotype cosmically rewritten to be used as a pawn against Rogers by the living remnant of Nazism that is the Red Skull? Read All-New Captain America #3 --- the original origin of Sam Wilson is fully restored, and that racist caricature Steve Englehart came up with as his "actual" origin is exposed in-universe for the schlock that it is and done away with.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Comparing the current volume of Thor sales to the God of Thunder run isn't exactly a fair comparison. The latter was simply a relaunch with a new creative team while the former received a pretty significant mainstream media advertising push. It also helped that Aaron's run on God of Thunder was both a critical and commercial (relatively in today's market) success, so the current relaunch remained under his pen.

John stewart sucks DevilsGambit's Avatar

The numbers for thor are still dropping. Also they want to get new readers, but if its still the same readers have they really failed? Pissed off a piece of the audience sure. Failed? I don't really think so. This was to be expected though. Shock factor putters out pretty quickly. The New 52 launch was huge. As it went on the numbers dropped to what they are now. I'm just tired of the shock factor BS that editors try to piss off their audiences with. That being said any true fan know that this isn't the first person to wield mjilnor(?).