Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by AdamFTF View Post
    That's more or less why I'm moving in that direction myself. I find that between work and some other hobbies and responsibilities, I find it hard to find time to get down to the comic book shop. Sometimes I find myself only getting there once a month at best. Then, when I read a particular comic and find I've read only 1/6 of a story, I find it doesn't really feel worth it.

One thing I'll add is that I don't plan on selling off my back issues and I personally plan on using the library more for TPBs/GNs. Public library graphic novel collections are growing. Also, the library is a service that we're already paying for through taxes, so it's silly not to use it when it's available.
    That's the issue I had, when I did manage to get to the local comic shop it had been so long I had at least 3-4 issues out for the six in a normal arc. So I'd let them pile up till I had a full arc and then read them, trades just became an easier way to read and store them.

The only single issues I sued to buy were ones where I thought the title needed support, but now I can do that digitally.

Quote Originally Posted by Taral-DLOS View Post
    While I see the appeal of this, comics in general are designed as a serial medium. Designed to be consumed bit by bit, one month at a time. Maybe not as much nowadays, but in general each issue has its own beginning, middle, and end. Good comics can be consumed equally well serially or in batches, and I tend to read mine twice anyway (the week they're out, and again once the arc is done). But I love my floppies.
    When I was on holiday I found a few single issues at the airport, and it was fun picking them up and reading them as an individual part of the story, but it really felt like holiday reading, as in something light that I didn't want to invest in.

As for the serial nature, my episodes are just a bit bigger, for example I read the 24 issue Walking Dead trades as soon as I can, it is still a serial consumption of the story, just not single issues.

Though for some, I won't even do that, with Locke and Key I bought the first 4 hardcovers a couple of years ago, waited till the series was complete, waited some more and then read the whole lot in one sitting.

I just decided to do this! My collection will be lucky to fetch £100 never mind $7800 but I am kind of looking forward to it going forward. I enjoy reading in either format but I never re-read my issues! For example, the recent mention of the Court of Owls in Batman made me think "maybe I'll re-read that stuff" but the thought of taking 14 or so issues out of their bags and boards and skipping all the ads etc when I could have it in 2 trades just made me really think about what's more important.

As it is I'm going to continue with Batman and Saga in issues and all the others I'm switching to trades, and as and when the new volumes come out I'm picking up the whole series so far in that format if that makes sense.

Any advice on selling the issues? I guess the only real option is eBay? I don't think there's much point keeping many, if any, as "collectable" comics seem to be a thing of the past...

Yeah, I am 100% TPBs and HCs now and I love it. Sure, you wait a little longer for your books, but you get larger chunks of the story at once which makes it easier to absorb the storyline for me and you save a ton of money year over year. Plus, as others have said, TPBs and HCs looks much, much better on a bookshelf than white cardboard boxes.
    Epic things: "TOPANGA" (GHA), Jaxson & Zefferson (PRO), Lucas (SHEL)