Red face Your thoughts about writing John Stewart

Geoff Johns made Sinestro one of the most interesting villains in the DCU. Your writing on Sinestro seems to carry the same trend on what Geoff Johns has done to him. The Sinestro series is one of my favorite lantern titles thus far and having you be the writer for another lantern title starring John Stewart as one of the leading roles is an honor. I understand you're unable to speak with us new details in the Lost Army title. So I'll do my best to try to avoid any GL: Lost Army related questions.

1) Since the new creative team, there's been interviews from writers and stories that shows John Stewart having leadership potential. John Stewart making a guest appearance in your Sinestro book during the Godhead story arc shows John attempting to lead and motivating the lantern corps. What are your thoughts about the differences in leadership capabilities concerning John and Sinestro?

2) There's been minimal showings of John Stewart having any relationships with Sinestro in the past during post-crisis. During Godhead, there's been an interesting dynamic between the two characters in the Godhead crossovers. Is it possible that John's relationship with Sinestro can be explored differently from other lanterns?

3) How do you feel about John Stewart's character when you write him? What do you think are important attributes that define him, and what sets him apart from the other Earth Lanterns?

Thanks!

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    Geoff Johns made Sinestro one of the most interesting villains in the DCU. Your writing on Sinestro seems to carry the same trend on what Geoff Johns has done to him. The Sinestro series is one of my favorite lantern titles thus far and having you be the writer for another lantern title starring John Stewart as one of the leading roles is an honor. I understand you're unable to speak with us new details in the Lost Army title. So I'll do my best to try to avoid any GL: Lost Army related questions.

1) Since the new creative team, there's been interviews from writers and stories that shows John Stewart having leadership potential. John Stewart making a guest appearance in your Sinestro book during the Godhead story arc shows John attempting to lead and motivating the lantern corps. What are your thoughts about the differences in leadership capabilities concerning John and Sinestro?

2) There's been minimal showings of John Stewart having any relationships with Sinestro in the past during post-crisis. During Godhead, there's been an interesting dynamic between the two characters in the Godhead crossovers. Is it possible that John's relationship with Sinestro can be explored differently from other lanterns?

3) How do you feel about John Stewart's character when you write him? What do you think are important attributes that define him, and what sets him apart from the other Earth Lanterns?

Thanks!
    Hey there! I'm pretty excited about The Lost Army--and John Stewart is a big part of why. John's noble and just, but he is completely unafraid to take some extreme steps if his hand is forced. John as a leader... and how he sees leadership... is a HUGE part of the story from the very first panel. John has a vastly different style than Sinestro... but he might start to wonder if Sinestro's approach has value. One big difference between the two is that Sinestro is set in his ways while John is much more versatile.

Thanks you so much for the awesome response, Mr. Bunn. Having you being the writer and Jesus Saiz doing the art is going to be exciting. Christmas is going to be early for me this year

Yes, thanks for the insight. I'm happy to hear that you'll be continuing the leadership theme with John Stewart. I really look forward to seeing John and Arisia. I like it when they team up. The GLC issue of the "Godhead" crossover with them fighting Uggha and his soldiers together (GLC #35) is a good showing for the duo. I also hope you continue to build John's relationship with Sinestro. I really liked what you did with John and Sinestro in Sinestro #9.

I'm really looking forward to your book. Many John Stewart fans are watching and excited!

BANNED

Thank you for your reply, Mr. Bunn! I am very excited to see what you and Mr. Saiz have coming up!

There was a pretty good John/Sinestro story back in the "GLC" days,(the story that introduced Driq and Flodo Span - how fun were those guys?) but their characters now aren't quite what they were then.

That said, Mr. Bunn I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on how John's character has changed. My first impression of John was when he took over from Hal and took off the mask because he didn't believe in hiding. He was a much more easy-going, confident character then, and of course Kat was a big part of that. (we don't even know how much of that relationship exists in the New52 - do you?) Post "Cosmic Odyssey" and animated John Stewart, he's now a hardened Marine sniper who kills planets. Are they even the same person?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    There was a pretty good John/Sinestro story back in the "GLC" days,(the story that introduced Driq and Flodo Span - how fun were those guys?) but their characters now aren't quite what they were then.

That said, Mr. Bunn I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on how John's character has changed. My first impression of John was when he took over from Hal and took off the mask because he didn't believe in hiding. He was a much more easy-going, confident character then, and of course Kat was a big part of that. (we don't even know how much of that relationship exists in the New52 - do you?) Post "Cosmic Odyssey" and animated John Stewart, he's now a hardened Marine sniper who kills planets. Are they even the same person?
    I have not really researched how much of the relationship with Kat exists in the current continuity. I feel like John's current iteration is closer to the "hardened Marine sniper" than the more easygoing version. That said, I'd like to show some of the former shining through the latter. I think you'll see that as the story actually starts.

Hi Mr. Bunn,

I noticed that John isn't present on the #4 cover, but I assume that he's still the main character in this series?
    Last edited by Sodam Yat; 06-19-2015 at 06:39 AM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    Hi Mr. Bunn,

I noticed that John isn't present on the #4 cover, but I assume that he's still the main character in this series?
    I still see John as the *star* of the series (at least for the first arc) but we're giving other lanterns some cover time every now and then. It is Green Lantern Corps, after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Cullen Bunn View Post
    I still see John as the *star* of the series (at least for the first arc) but we're giving other lanterns some cover time every now and then. It is Green Lantern Corps, after all.
    Very true that it's the Green Lantern Corps. I was just worried that John was no longer going to be present or he'll be missing a lot of panel time throughout the series. I'm very excited to see other explorations with other new characters as well.

Glad to hear it!!!

Thanks!!!

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Hi Mr. Bunn (or Cullen).

I saw no one was talking about the first issue of your new Green Lantern series now that it has come out and just wanted to say I liked it. I had some problems with it, but overall it was good. My review here if you care.

Just wondering, are we going to be seeing some more alien landscapes and locations besides this one planet the characters are currently on?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    Hi Mr. Bunn (or Cullen).

I saw no one was talking about the first issue of your new Green Lantern series now that it has come out and just wanted to say I liked it. I had some problems with it, but overall it was good. My review here if you care.

Just wondering, are we going to be seeing some more alien landscapes and locations besides this one planet the characters are currently on?
    Lots of alien landscapes. They are in space as of page 1, issue 1.

Astonishing Member

Hi Cullen,
    I have always been a fan of John Stewart. The question that I want to ask is could his ring move a moon(Jupiter's moon Io) from one area unto to another, like Mars in preparation to make the planet into an Earthlike environment? It's gravitation could cause the planet core to be active once again, and result in a strong magnetic field that would allow it to hold on to its atmosphere that would result in Mars being warm enough for its oceans to rise once again. I am surprised that DC has never came up with the idea of having their stories be told on Mars.