Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Some great character moments, but the plot barely crept forward a millimeter or two here. I sure hope that tree has a greater role to play, and the whole thing wasn't just an exercise in futility.

Are we supposed to read anything into the fact that Deodato's Beyonders look nothing like Kev Walker's Beyonders, or is that just a consequence of the wildly inconsistent art team?

I think I've worked out the Beyonders' true identity though...

beyonders.jpg

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shai-Hulud View Post
    Nope. That Beyonder wasn't killed, he was transformed, possibly evolved.

In a Quasar run, where Wendell Vaughn encounters an other-universal Starbrand, we learn that Starbrands have power on a potentially multiversal scope.

The plot there was that the Deviant Ereshkigal got ahold of the Starbrand. Her plan was to remake the entire multiverse. The situation was so serious that the Living Tribunal got involved. It was said that the Tribunal could defeat the Starbrand, but the battle would lay waste to the multiverse itself. So when Hickman presents the Starbrand as being that potent, he's not just pulling it out of his hat. It's from the continuity.

Also, we don't know if that Beyonder has been killed. We saw him blown up or dispersed. Of course for humans, being blasted to atoms and being killed (or shall we say "permanently killed") are synonymous. But for cosmic beings?

Consider the case of Dormammu. He's been "killed" multiple times, including having his energies dispersed throughout infinite dimensions. But he always manages to pull himself back together. The same could apply to the Beyonder that Starbrand "killed."
    Here's an interesting thought - the White Event mixed with the energies of the Beyonder to create a new line of superhumans which Marvel will likely dub "Beyonders".

Quote Originally Posted by NunoTaborda View Post
    How you know this Thor is there? :S

I saw the cover and I don't see him there... There are characters that look alike, but now him...

He's right between Ultimate Thor and female Thor. You can tell it's him by the fact that he's the only Thor with both a similar beard to Ultimate and wears no shirt and only a cape. Aaron also dropped a hint of Thor being in it when Thor met King Thor and he asked if he had become a cop yet, something that is happening on Battleworld.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post

He's right between Ultimate Thor and female Thor. You can tell it's him by the fact that he's the only Thor with both a similar beard to Ultimate and wears no shirt and only a cape. Aaron also dropped a hint of Thor being in it when Thor met King Thor and he asked if he had become a cop yet, something that is happening on Battleworld.

Bro....I want Thor Odinson 616 to have survived this as much as the next guy, but that could be anyone. Maybe that hint from Aaron is legit. But look at SW#2 cover. If the list below is accurate, then Thor 616 could only be represented by Allfather Thor (if they're really even temporal aspects of the same person).

I hope Odinson stays gone for at least a little while. Having him come back soon would only cheapen the epic quality of this issue

http://www.newsarama.com/23327-help-...ars-thors.html

Fantastic Member

So, the last two panels were interesting. I thought the big flash of light was the last burst of power from Hyperion and Thor. However, if you look at the portal that the Beyonders came out of at the beginning of the issue, they look fairly identical, and for some reason all of the Beyonders and both the heros disappeared in the last panel. Then I thought about how their futile resistance intrigued a Beyonder. Teleported to Battleworld?

Quote Originally Posted by Biclopcicle View Post
    Bro....I want Thor Odinson 616 to have survived this as much as the next guy, but that could be anyone. Maybe that hint from Aaron is legit. But look at SW#2 cover. If the list below is accurate, then Thor 616 could only be represented by Allfather Thor (if they're really even temporal aspects of the same person).

I hope Odinson stays gone for at least a little while. Having him come back soon would only cheapen the epic quality of this issue

http://www.newsarama.com/23327-help-...ars-thors.html
    That was a list of the Thors that appear on that cover, not the Thors that are in the book. We have confirmation of Ultimate Thor being in it yet he's nowhere to be seen on that cover.

Quote Originally Posted by klefmung View Post
    So, the last two panels were interesting. I thought the big flash of light was the last burst of power from Hyperion and Thor. However, if you look at the portal that the Beyonders came out of at the beginning of the issue, they look fairly identical, and for some reason all of the Beyonders and both the heros disappeared in the last panel. Then I thought about how their futile resistance intrigued a Beyonder. Teleported to Battleworld?

A mapmaker said a similar thing in NA 13 or 14 (whenever they were just chillin lookin through the bridge for a couple of issues).
    That may be a theme going forward: the seemingly illogical nature of living sentient beings to place their principles and morals above self- preservation

Quote Originally Posted by DrTraveler View Post
    It's early in the FF run, like FF 4 or FF 5. Three of the Reed Richards come through the Bridge and decide on using Sol's Anvil as a way to get home. One of the Reeds references that they'd used Sol's Anvil to "crush that Beyonder" in one of the Universes they were watching over.
    beyonderip (2).jpg

FF #3 Good memory!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by blankmarlo; 03-25-2015 at 01:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    That was a list of the Thors that appear on that cover, not the Thors that are in the book. We have confirmation of Ultimate Thor being in it yet he's nowhere to be seen on that cover.

Ok, another bit of evidence in favor of odinson. Like I said, I hope to see him back at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Biclopcicle View Post
    Well Ultimate Thor isn't on that list, yet he is right there on the cover that Kurolegacy posted. I wouldn't read too much into the Alex Ross cover, I'm pretty sure it's just Ross drawing whatever he wants to draw for the most part.

shogun8

Quote Originally Posted by shgs View Post
    Some great character moments, but the plot barely crept forward a millimeter or two here. I sure hope that tree has a greater role to play, and the whole thing wasn't just an exercise in futility.

Are we supposed to read anything into the fact that Deodato's Beyonders look nothing like Kev Walker's Beyonders, or is that just a consequence of the wildly inconsistent art team?

I think I've worked out the Beyonders' true identity though...

beyonders.jpg

Sweet baby Nightmask, my thoughts exactly! On that note, Calvin would have been a much better Great Destroyer than Doom, but maybe that's just me.
    In all honesty though, it would be pretty devastating if the entire collapse of Marvel reality boiled down to a kid playing with blocks on some higher-than-multiversal plane .

I loved this issue, and feel I have to acknowledge that, in my eyes, this thread contains some of the best discussion/explanations I've seen on these forums yet. For the record, I absolutely agree that we fans tend to lend too much credit to the "Who Would Win in a Fight" mentality that comes with ranking power levels - but in comic books and in life, it's never that straightforward. I like the analogies to snakes/spiders, and also think of Rock-Paper-Scissors. Different characters match up to each other differently, based not only on relative strengths and weaknesses, but also on tactical/external variations (different battlefields, for example). One of the biggest themes throughout comic book history has been that any fight can be won, no matter how impossible the odds may seem. And how many times have we seen some variant of the Beyonders' "Why do you fight the hopeless fight?" speech? I think it's pretty amazing that this event - which, admittedly, has at times been chock-full of PIS, decompression, and over-exposition - has also been able to produce real moments of moral turmoil, total despair, and in this issue, a glimmer of hope.

One additional thought: I really wish our first introduction to the Beyonders had been with Deodato doing the artwork, and not the cartoony, underwhelming versions we first saw a few issues ago.

Quote Originally Posted by ROSA13 View Post

Everything about this issue. Just WOW. THIS though. Man, Hyperion and Thor are eternal beard bros and I love it. You know they aren't gone. I imagine we'll see them both on Battleworld, perhaps transported at the last moment.
    Marvel Pull - Fantastic Four, The Immortal Hulk
    DC Pull - The Green Lantern, Goddess Mode
    Indie Pull - The Wrong Earth, High Heaven

So still no explanation on why Thor is "unworthy", was it just an excuse to get it off him to give it to Female Thor?

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant God View Post
    So still no explanation on why Thor is "unworthy", was it just an excuse to get it off him to give it to Female Thor?
    Wrong book for that.

I wanna be your lover... emac1790's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant God View Post
    Wouldn't that be explained in the Thor comic instead of New Avengers?

Edit; shgs beat me to it.
    What U putting in your nose?
    Is that where all your money goes (Is that where your money goes)
    The river of addiction flows
    U think it's hot, but there won't be no water
    When the fire blows

First they came for the mutants, and I said nothing. Then they came for the chickens, and still I said nothing... -cyberhubbs