Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Does Spider-Man deserve to replace/succeed Captain America?

Given the fact if editorial at marvel decides to put the character on the shelf for a while. Even on a symbolic level given the opportunity does it make sense. It is clear that Peter is fundamentally a ideal core figure on a universal scale next to Steve and second to him in the main pillar of justice for any hero.

Being the mascot of the company is a bonus. A lot of people say he's meant to be misunderstood and frail but he's really not otherwise he'd would not be an avenger or something like Ben Reilly said a beacon of hope for other spidermen plus he's got more anti hero friends than any pure good hero in marvel, the second is daredevil.

Dude, you need to put down the comic books and experience the real world for a while . . . your question is too geeky even for the characters on The Big Bang Theory.

do you mean Succeed him as the Leader of the Avengers or Peter put on the Captain America Suit??

The Marvel Universe isn't supposed to see Peter Parker the way we do.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

A Green Unpleasant Man Rob London's Avatar

I could see Cap making the offer. I couldn't see Peter accepting it.

Can someone please clarify what we mean by replace or succeed
    Are we talking Luke Cage or Falcon because to be honest if Luke Cage can lead the avengers i don't see any reason why Peter couldn't i mean Sunspot can lead the avengers then basically anyone can
    I doubt think Spidey will ever be ok with carrying the shield so no.

So a)Luke Cage or B) Falcon
    Truth is the best policy

I don't think peter has the team skills or tactical mind necessary to act as the leader of the avengers. Peter's main thing about how he is has never really been a 'great' avenger is that he lacks the seriousness needed by an avengers leader and thus is not taken seriously and he is more of a lone gun who acts without thinking and just hopes for the best. The Avengers Leader, captain america for example needs to be like John 'hannibal' Smith and "Love it when a plan comes together". Spidey "loves it when he walks away alive" most of the time its because of luck.
    Pull List:
    DC: Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Action Comics, Detective Comics, Green Lanterns, The Flash, Aquaman, Titans, Justice League, HJATGL, Supergirl, Superwoman, DC Bombshells
    Marvel: CANCELLED (good luck with your seasonal approach and constant reboots... I'll miss the characters though)
    Zenescope: Grimm Fairy Tales

Peter's not supposed to be a full-time "professional" superhero.

It doesn't even make sense for him to be more than a reserve Avenger.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeMC005 View Post
    I don't think peter has the team skills or tactical mind necessary to act as the leader of the avengers. Peter's main thing about how he is has never really been a 'great' avenger is that he lacks the seriousness needed by an avengers leader and thus is not taken seriously and he is more of a lone gun who acts without thinking and just hopes for the best. The Avengers Leader, captain america for example needs to be like John 'hannibal' Smith and "Love it when a plan comes together". Spidey "loves it when he walks away alive" most of the time its because of luck.
    He has team skills and before SSM he proved that he was improving tactical skills. I can't really think of him as a lone gun since he has so many super powered friends and Peter can be serious when you need him to be Back in Black springs to mind but still i can't say what he deserves to do until i know for sure. I said i couldn't see a reason why he couldn't lead the anvegers not that i thought he would.
    Truth is the best policy

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    Peter's not supposed to be a full-time "professional" superhero.

It doesn't even make sense for him to be more than a reserve Avenger.
    But Kaine Parker might make for a good Captain America.

BANNED

This was an great idea for the Ultimate Universe but I'd think 616 Pete would sooner settle down and raise a family than become Cap

Brought to you by CarlsJr SickAlice's Avatar

Peter has too much baggage. If who think about it seniority-wise, who Avengers are apt to follow and who draws inspiration Odinson is prime for the position. But Odinson has too many outside ties that divide his time. Steve was right for the role because he's the man out of time. Bucky and Falcon are likewise indebted to lives as soldiers and won't come into much conflict with other chains of duty that would put them in a position to have to choose where to be and when. Peter has that in spades. Say Peter's leading a mission against AIM. He gets a call that Aunt May is being held captive by the Hobgoblin in NYC. His daily life has always been a crux like this for him, having to shirk one obligation in favor of the greater good that day. I'd say Luke Cage is even in this position though less so as a family man. He's been put in the lead sure but when they do that their sidestepping the responsibilities of being a father and allocating time for his kid first. Black Widow would honestly make a good Cap when I think about it like that. No ties or at least none she couldn't just as well put on hiatus, seniority and respected by the Avengers. She could commit to it is the basic point.
    I make love, you make me sick.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SickAlice View Post
    Peter has too much baggage. If who think about it seniority-wise, who Avengers are apt to follow and who draws inspiration Odinson is prime for the position. But Odinson has too many outside ties that divide his time. Steve was right for the role because he's the man out of time. Bucky and Falcon are likewise indebted to lives as soldiers and won't come into much conflict with other chains of duty that would put them in a position to have to choose where to be and when. Peter has that in spades. Say Peter's leading a mission against AIM. He gets a call that Aunt May is being held captive by the Hobgoblin in NYC. His daily life has always been a crux like this for him, having to shirk one obligation in favor of the greater good that day. I'd say Luke Cage is even in this position though less so as a family man. He's been put in the lead sure but when they do that their sidestepping the responsibilities of being a father and allocating time for his kid first. Black Widow would honestly make a good Cap when I think about it like that. No ties or at least none she couldn't just as well put on hiatus, seniority and respected by the Avengers. She could commit to it is the basic point.
    I could see Kaine Parker as Captain America than Peter Parker. It's also likely that the Black Widow and Spider-Man would make for an awesome and unique partnership. I do not think that the Black Widow has the desire to become a Captain America in her own right. But Kaine Parker does.

Brought to you by CarlsJr SickAlice's Avatar

Yeah I was totally just raising a hypothetical point (in other words: for example) to a hypothetical question and I'm still not interested in you Spider-man/Black Widow ship fanon.
    I make love, you make me sick.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SickAlice View Post
    Yeah I was totally just raising a hypothetical point (in other words: for example) to a hypothetical question and I'm still not interested in you Spider-man/Black Widow ship fanon.
    With regards to Spider-Man x Black Widow, I never said that I was going to write a fanon about them. Rather, if I ever got a chance to work at Marvel I would talk to the Editors about the characters and find a very good writer to pitch the idea to them. I only talk about the characters. Not the story because a good writer can make their team up adventure interesting. It's all about getting the writers to work on characters that they have yet to write about.