Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Aquaman #40 discussion

Spoilers:

Some backstory, our friends scientists discovered that Karaku was the reason why Atlanteans abandonded this island in the first place.
    Remember Karaqan from the opening arc? He was raised specifically for beating the crap out of Karaku, which he did, but now Karaku is strong enough to start a new fight and Karaqan is kinda dead so who is going to stop it?
    Big brawl is happening and Daniel dies Aquaman rushes to his aid and gets punched by Karaku.
    Mera builds a huge water construct, basically Karaqan made out of water. She punches out Karaku, but isn't able to keep the construct for long.
    Since Karaku is out... Atlanna wants to kill Arthur and Mera, as she originally intended.
    She doesn't believe that Arthur is her son, to prove it he summons entire sea life located near them saying that only son of Atlanna could do that.
    That seams convincing enough for Atlanna. Aquaman explains thats its enough for him to know that she is alive and he or Atlantis won't bother her anymore. She teleports them out of the Pacifica.
    Atlaanna also drops him a signet and a shell of sounds... like the one Mera was given by her mother in Secret Origins issue.
    Anyway signet contains her essence and Atlantis should now recognize Arthur as the top dog that he is. She also asks Arthur not to inform Orm that she is still alive. She wants to tell that herself, once she is ready.

Strong arc, strong finish. Liked some extra details that connected whole run and made it whole. I also liked how Aquaman got most of the emotional stuff in this issue while Mera got the "powerhouse" moments.

Now, cautiosly awaiting previews of Bunn's work

Astonishing Member

I thought it was way too rushed since they pretty much tried to conclude Parker's entire run in one issue while trying to resolve the Atlanna sub-plot. A mistake was dragging out the whole part where she refused to believe he was her son.

I really enjoyed the action beats in the issue, but the emotional ones felt rushed, as has been mentioned. The ending was so... 'fight's over, bye, hurray, EMOTION!' If this issue taught us (well, more reaffirmed) anything, it's that Mera is an absolute beast and needs her own book, stat.

Astonishing Member

I thought it was a good wrap, regardless of having to get there pretty fast. Pelletier was on point. Great high adventure. Good world building. Good way to put Atlanna down but have her able to be picked up again.

I need a Mera book where she teams with like ... Wonder Woman and Batwoman.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Now, cautiosly awaiting previews of Bunn's work
    I wonder how Aquaman goes from finally being the rightful ruler of Atlantis to
    Aquaman is on the run from Atlantis! The kingdom he once saved now wants him dead – and nothing will ever be the same again!
    Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    I thought it was a good wrap, regardless of having to get there pretty fast. Pelletier was on point. Great high adventure. Good world building. Good way to put Atlanna down but have her able to be picked up again.
    Yeah, I am going to miss Pelletier on this. I'd also a book wrap up fast instead of dragging things out too long. Point made, it was fun, and time to move on.

Fantastic Member

I actually think that despite being wrapped up in one issue, the ending was pretty good. I am happy that Atlanna didn't die somehow, though I'm somewhat upset another Aquaman supporting character did. It was nice to see the Fire Trolls are subservient to a volcano god and year mention of the Karaqan again.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

I was a little cautious when Pelletier took over. I love his work beyond question, but I wasn't sure he would be a good fit for the title...he more than proved me wrong so much so that I am really going to miss his work on the series. Same with Pak. I wasn't as familiar with his work, but he really wowed me on this series. I am going to miss both of the a great deal.
    The story might have been a little rushed, but that probably can't be laid at the creative team's desk entirely. Personally they hit all the story beats for me and more. The only thing I had somewhat hoped for was that Atlanna was actually in Skartaris....

It was a fantastic story arc and I agree, I'm definitely going to miss Pelletier on this title. I've come to absolutely love him on this book and I don't want to see him go. However, all good things must end right? I agree with you guys about how now Aquaman is now the rightful ruler of Atlantis, only to have him on the run (again) when Bunn takes over. I'm cautious about his story, still excited though since I've liked Bunn's other works but nothing about the solicit really peaked my interest. I'm hoping to be proven wrong.

It is kinda jarring considering that big part of Parker's run was Aquaman winning over support and respect of his people. Now, surprise plot twist, they want him dead... AGAIN.

Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

I like Bunn's work (his Sinestro has been fantastic if you haven't picked it up), but I'm a little surprised we are going on the Atlantis wants Arthur dead ride again. I would think there could be some time to have him return to Atlantis, maybe have Atlantis face some outside threats, etc...before re-treading that ground again. Oh well, I like Bunn so I'll see where it goes

Always Rakzo

This was a quite appropriate ending for this run and it bears to repeat: It's a shame that Parker is leaving when his work was finally getting good.

Even worse is the fact that Bunn is taking over since I consider his DC work "okay" at best.

Astonishing Member

^Blame Convergence. I think the pacing of this issue really shows that they only gave him one issue to wrap everything up when they told him he was off the book.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderLuthor View Post
    I like Bunn's work (his Sinestro has been fantastic if you haven't picked it up), but I'm a little surprised we are going on the Atlantis wants Arthur dead ride again. I would think there could be some time to have him return to Atlantis, maybe have Atlantis face some outside threats, etc...before re-treading that ground again. Oh well, I like Bunn so I'll see where it goes
    Bunn is fantastic writing anti-heroes and villains. He is however a terrible choice for writing regular heroes like Aquaman or Superman.
    Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 03-26-2015 at 10:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    Bunn is fantastic writing anti-heroes and villains. He is however a terrible choice for writing regular heroes like Aquaman or Superman.
    Why my eyes read Cullen Bunn but my brain reads Geoff Johns?

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post

I need a Mera book where she teams with like ... Wonder Woman and Batwoman.
    I agree on all points. Everything wasn't all wrapped up in a tight little bow, with Arthur and his momma kissing and making up. Yes, she gave him presents and isn't out for his blood but there's still a nice separation between the two (emotionally) that can be addressed some day down the line. And some good foreshadowing re: a future Atlanna/Orm reunion was tossed in to boot--not to mention we see Mera portrayed as a major powerhouse, which is always a treat.

Always Rakzo

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that Pelletier is a HUGE loss. He had a quite strong, detailed and widescreen style that helped the adventure tone of the title.

Don't know how the new artist will be able to compete with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    ^Blame Convergence. I think the pacing of this issue really shows that they only gave him one issue to wrap everything up when they told him he was off the book.
    ... Why should I blame Convergence if I said that the latter half of Parker's run was better than the beginning?