Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kuro View Post
    OTOH, Barry ROUTINELY struggles against regular people with the Freeze ray.
    Yup. Standard. Feats that are outlier high-end for normal people and feats that are way low-end for Barry.

So do the cops despite the fact they would be a complete an utter joke to real life cops.
    Exactly, Cody. I hate it when stuff is written so stupidly that they have to dumb it down to the point that real life people of the same profession would walk through a situation that the people in the story can't deal with at all. Any group of real life cops would have solved the problems of Captain Cold and Heatwave permanently right there.

Zoom can't time travel, it's why he's still in the past.
    In the show, I think they are saying it's more than speed. The second time around, Barry hit a speed that exceeded the speed he was at when he time traveled but, this time, he didn't time travel.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by moonknight11 View Post
    I think people are overrating the scene from DOFP. Its fast yeah but at most you're talking about a guy being like 5 times faster than bullets. Quicky covered like 5 times the distance bullets covered in the same time. He'd be around mach 6/7. I think Professor Zoom beats that. Reaching back and grabbing a bullet before it travels a few centimeters is in that range of speed. It's not like the sound could warn Barry since bullets travel faster than sound so he had to go by feel.
    Well, let think about this for a second here. He doesn't actually start moving until the bullet leaves the gun. The size of the room doesn't matter as we are talking ratios here. So lets say the closest person to the mutants is about half way across the room (the closer they are the faster Quicksilver is moving). If you look at the clip it looks like the lead guy is probably closer, but we will call it half way. We know 2rpi=C. This means roughly that every time Quicksilver is running around the room, he is covering roughly six times the distance between the nearest gun to the x characters.

We can see that he is circles the room twice which means he is conservatively 12 times the speed of the bullets if the bullets had reached the wall behind the X-characters. However we can see from the clip that by the time he is on his second lap, the bullets were only a few feet from the guns and no where near the other side of the room. I am sure there are other mathematicians out there that could measure his speed better than I. So let's just say he is 12 times the speed of the bullets.

Now all we need is the muzzle velocity of those bullets and we will have a conservative estimate of his total speed. It is hard to tell what kind of guns they are using because I am assuming they are plastic or some other material that magneto cannot affect. Some hand guns have a muzzle velocity above and some below the speed of sound. I say we split the difference and say the muzzle velocity is the speed of sound.

So conservatively, Quicksilver is moving 12 times the speed of sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Acecool View Post
    Well, let think about this for a second here. He doesn't actually start moving until the bullet leaves the gun. The size of the room doesn't matter as we are talking ratios here. So lets say the closest person to the mutants is about half way across the room (the closer they are the faster Quicksilver is moving). If you look at the clip it looks like the lead guy is probably closer, but we will call it half way. We know 2rpi=C. This means roughly that every time Quicksilver is running around the room, he is covering roughly six times the distance between the nearest gun to the x characters.

We can see that he is circles the room twice which means he is conservatively 12 times the speed of the bullets if the bullets had reached the wall behind the X-characters. However we can see from the clip that by the time he is on his second lap, the bullets were only a few feet from the guns and no where near the other side of the room. I am sure there are other mathematicians out there that could measure his speed better than I. So let's just say he is 12 times the speed of the bullets.

Now all we need is the muzzle velocity of those bullets and we will have a conservative estimate of his total speed. It is hard to tell what kind of guns they are using because I am assuming they are plastic or some other material that magneto cannot affect. Some hand guns have a muzzle velocity above and some below the speed of sound. I say we split the difference and say the muzzle velocity is the speed of sound.

That sounds about right. Yeah I was underestimating it. My mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazard View Post
    Not really. He grabbed it from the storm outside and shot it. There is no reason to doubt the speed is the same.
    There is when it took less time to get from the sky to his hand then from his hand to a guy 15 feet away. It traveled a much larger distance in less time. West was a statue as the other lightning bolt struck the car so it couldn't have been as slow as the police station one either.

Quote Originally Posted by moonknight11 View Post
    There is when it took less time to get from the sky to his hand then from his hand to a guy 15 feet away. It traveled a much larger distance in less time. West was a statue as the other lightning bolt struck the car so it couldn't have been as slow as the police station one either.
    West was a statue because it was only inches away from him as opposed to 15 feet.
    Hazard's Playhouse - Episodic anime reviews and other things. Current Post: Houshin Engi: What was Skipped
    My Fanfiction.Net Profile

Now you see; that makes much more sense than "StuffKnower" saying he was 6000-1200x faster than the speed of sound.
    Saint Seiya Online:
    https://reborngn.com/?page=register&ref=408192
    ^-my referral

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Thing is, about DofP: Quicksilver wasn't desperately trying to deal with this stuff. He was going for a casual stroll, running multiple times around the room, eating and drinking, and then, most impressive, moving at hyper-blur speed even compared to the already ridiculous speed he's moving at, a couple of times. 12 times as fast as the bullets is ridiculously understating his speed - it's at least 40-50x. It's not 1000x or anything, at least, he doesn't prove any such thing, but it's way, way faster than 12x.

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    Thing is, about DofP: Quicksilver wasn't desperately trying to deal with this stuff. He was going for a casual stroll, running multiple times around the room, eating and drinking, and then, most impressive, moving at hyper-blur speed even compared to the already ridiculous speed he's moving at, a couple of times. 12 times as fast as the bullets is ridiculously understating his speed - it's at least 40-50x. It's not 1000x or anything, at least, he doesn't prove any such thing, but it's way, way faster than 12x.
    Tbh, after seeing all the posts in this thread I can tell that QS would win. I am sure Zoom will perform feats that will put him on the same, if not on a higher level than QS eventually. Just not right now. So I agree with you. If Barry is moving at around mach 4.7-14.2 in the scene posted several posts above, then Zoom's max is *at least* around the Mach 20-30 range. As evident by him casually blitzing Barry and appearing as a blur even to him. Meaning QS could be anywhere from mach 40-50 like you said.

With the feats we have so far, it seems that Quicksilver would be to Zoom, what Zoom is to Barry atm. A blur.

For now that is.
    Saint Seiya Online:
    ^-my referral

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    But Wells has the feat of showing he can move so fast as to appear to be in two places at once in two different sets of clothes carrying on a conversation with himself. I can't remember. Was Barry there when he did that? That would be serious P.I.S. if Barry couldn't tell.
    That didn't happen. Wells set up a taped image of himself as the reverse flash in the chamber, that's why he only spoke to wells.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Holacik View Post
    That didn't happen. Wells set up a taped image of himself as the reverse flash in the chamber, that's why he only spoke to wells.
    Wells did the afterimage thing twice, actually:

Once, to beat himself up, and the second, showing off to Cisco.

He did NOT use the afterimage trick when he was inside the trap - that was a recording he put in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Holacik View Post
    That's only true for the conversation. The speed mirage happened once RF started beating up Wells, and sending Wells flying at one point, while RF was still visible... I won't try to think too hard about it. Also, Wells had to punch himself hard without anyone noticing, and convincingly enough to not let Caitlin suspect anything, and until proved otherwise, I find it complicated for Wells to throw a punch as RF, change clothes, and get back to receive the punch.

As for Quicksilver, first estimation is an average mach 40 speed, topping at close to mach 100 when he goes "oh sh!t, the bullets are almost there". Family calls, so I won't post the details until later today.

Quote Originally Posted by FrenchGemini View Post
    That's only true for the conversation. The speed mirage happened once RF started beating up Wells, and sending Wells flying at one point, while RF was still visible... I won't try to think too hard about it. Also, Wells had to punch himself hard without anyone noticing, and convincingly enough to not let Caitlin suspect anything, and until proved otherwise, I find it complicated for Wells to throw a punch as RF, change clothes, and get back to receive the punch.

As for Quicksilver, first estimation is an average mach 40 speed, topping at close to mach 100 when he goes "oh sh!t, the bullets are almost there". Family calls, so I won't post the details until later today.
    The math has already been done. At best he is moving at around mach 12 during that scene. Casually. We estimated his max being somewhere around mach 40-50.
    Saint Seiya Online:
    ^-my referral

That's being unrealistically generous to the extreme, they're almost certainly entirely plastic unless Scotty went back in time to the 70s to give them Transparent aluminum, and that includes the bullets. When there was a lot of hub bub going on about 3d printer guns(which would be the closest analogue I can think of, even glocks use a lot of metal for their internal components) made completely of plastic most estimates of their muzzle velocity were extremely low to the point that their bullets had significantly less kick than a .22(and the rounds for these were still normal metal). If anything the muzzle velocity is likely between a low end sub sonic round and an airsoft gun.
    Last edited by Hiromi; 03-28-2015 at 09:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    That's being unrealistically generous to the extreme, they're almost certainly entirely plastic unless Scotty went back in time to the 70s to give them Transparent aluminum, and that includes the bullets. When there was a lot of hub bub going on about 3d printer guns(which would be the closest analogue I can think of, even glocks use a lot of metal for their internal components) made completely of plastic most estimates of their muzzle velocity were extremely low to the point that their bullets had significantly less kick than a .22(and the rounds for these were still normal metal). If anything the muzzle velocity is likely between a low end sub sonic round and an airsoft gun.
    How fast do you think QS was going then?
    Saint Seiya Online:
    ^-my referral

Still probably some high multiple of super sonic, I also find him moving 12 times the speed of the bullets to be lowballing it pretty hard

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    Still probably some high multiple of super sonic, I also find him moving 12 times the speed of the bullets to be lowballing it pretty hard
    Well the calcs that were made were based off the bullets going the speed of sound. So him moving 12x the speed of sound while the bullets were sub-sonic seems about right for his casual speed.
    Saint Seiya Online:
    ^-my referral