Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by stillanerd View Post
    Oh, of course you can have more than one version of Spider-Man running around. That's what we have now. Not to mention more than one Spider-Woman. However, there are a couple of things we have to take into consideration.

Miles being front and center on this cover is a huge statement by Marvel. It not only suggests that elements of the Ultimate Universe will remain and be part of the new Marvel Universe post-Secret Wars, but that Miles, not Peter, will be the Spider-Man of the new Marvel Universe. After all, notice which Spider-Man is being predominately featured in all the Secret Wars promos? It's Miles. Whose the most popular character from the Ultimate Comics line who also has a fanbase of his own? Miles again. Who is a closer fit Marvel's vision that Spider-Man should be about youth? Again, it's Miles. And we're getting an Amazing Spider-Man story during Secret Wars showing us a married Peter Parker and Mary Jane with a kid, in which Dan Slott has said will be a "monkey paw" scenario in which "No matter who or what or how Spider-Man comics will be made in the future—elements from this story will go on into the next incarnation.” Also, within the past four years, Marvel has had two successful Spider-Man comics in which Peter wasn't the lead. First with Miles after the "Death of Spider-Man" event in the Ultimate Comics, then with Doc Ock taking over Peter's body in Superior Spider-Man. Wouldn't surprise me in the least that what Marvel took from this and the response towards both--each which received mainstream media attention--is that Spider-Man does not have to be Peter Parker to be successful.

Thus, we potentially have a situation in which Marvel can have their cake and eat it too--that they restore the marriage (and throw Peter having a kid for good measure) that thus retcons the still controversial One More Day, while also getting back a younger, teenage Spider-Man via Miles which, as an added bonus, is more reflective of contemporary youth culture. And, under this scenario, Peter would still be around, just not active as Spider-Man, mentoring Miles and also supplying him with web-fluid and other gadgets.
    Just because he isn't on the Avengers don't make him retired. Miles and Peter will be the main Spidermen. But I doubt parker is married, just retconed into having a child. Single father comics.

Marvel wants all their big properties and diverse property's on the new post sw earth, rest will stay behind on Battleworld.

Ultimate Member

All that Miles being on this cover "represents" is that he's a main character in THIS BOOK! Nothing more, nothing less.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    The real Spider-Island?

nuc.jpg

Rachel turned into Ahab's baby momma by Marvel. Disgusting.

So, what about the rest of UU?

Will Ultimate Jessica Drew, Bombshell, and Kitty stay too?

What about the Ultimate X-Men?

Ultimate Sue Storm, Iron Man, Thing, or the such?

Kind of hoping the rest of the UU joins Thor and Galactus in the Negative Zone. I'll be happy to throw the lever on Reed Richards dohicky to make it happen!

Though I have to admit it would be cool if, at the moment they all got sucked in, Ultimate Thor came flying out only to remark "where did everyone go?"

BANNED

Cmon guys, Peter is not stepping down as Spider-Man for Miles, he's their(Marvel) icon for crying out loud. He's (on a meta level) the main protagonist of Marvel comics. This is not going to be Parkers last web slinging adventure and he's not going to stay a family man for all the achievements he's done, and basically he's a full time professional humanitarian worker so he's by default is a superhero 24/7. He's not letting go of his promise to Ben and stop fighting ever.

Can't help but wonder if Miles destined to be the new Spider-Man in the MCU movies. Maybe that's why he's getting a big push.
    Last edited by Wonderllama; 03-26-2015 at 09:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderllama View Post
    Can't help but wonder if Miles to destined to be the new Spider-Man in the MCU movies. Maybe that's why he's getting a big push.
    I told you guys the Andrew Garfield films were toxic to the Spider-Man franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by stillanerd View Post
    Oh, of course you can have more than one version of Spider-Man running around. That's what we have now. Not to mention more than one Spider-Woman. However, there are a couple of things we have to take into consideration.

Miles being front and center on this cover is a huge statement by Marvel. It not only suggests that elements of the Ultimate Universe will remain and be part of the new Marvel Universe post-Secret Wars, but that Miles, not Peter, will be the Spider-Man of the new Marvel Universe. After all, notice which Spider-Man is being predominately featured in all the Secret Wars promos? It's Miles. Whose the most popular character from the Ultimate Comics line who also has a fanbase of his own? Miles again. Who is a closer fit Marvel's vision that Spider-Man should be about youth? Again, it's Miles. And we're getting an Amazing Spider-Man story during Secret Wars showing us a married Peter Parker and Mary Jane with a kid, in which Dan Slott has said will be a "monkey paw" scenario in which "No matter who or what or how Spider-Man comics will be made in the future—elements from this story will go on into the next incarnation.” Also, within the past four years, Marvel has had two successful Spider-Man comics in which Peter wasn't the lead. First with Miles after the "Death of Spider-Man" event in the Ultimate Comics, then with Doc Ock taking over Peter's body in Superior Spider-Man. Wouldn't surprise me in the least that what Marvel took from this and the response towards both--each which received mainstream media attention--is that Spider-Man does not have to be Peter Parker to be successful.

Thus, we potentially have a situation in which Marvel can have their cake and eat it too--that they restore the marriage (and throw Peter having a kid for good measure) that thus retcons the still controversial One More Day, while also getting back a younger, teenage Spider-Man via Miles which, as an added bonus, is more reflective of contemporary youth culture. And, under this scenario, Peter would still be around, just not active as Spider-Man, mentoring Miles and also supplying him with web-fluid and other gadgets.
    I'll say this: if Marvel is going to take the spotlight away from Peter Parker again, I'm quitting. I went from cautiously excited with Secret Wars to complete dreading the series. I was planning to buy the whole saga, but I won't be doing that anymore.

Why Marvel can't let Peter Parker be Spider-Man? Why Marvel can't get someone inventive like Mark Millar and Brian K. Vaughan to create them new and ORIGINAL ideas? Seriously Marvel, it's not cute anymore, and I'm very open to different spins. I'm (was) buying Thor, Ms. Marvel and Superior Iron Man, along with Slott's Surfer and Slott's Spider-Man. When the 616 ends, I'm going with it. Not because I wouldn't like to go on, but Marvel is making it too hard for me to care.

I'm sure Marvel will be fine without me, but seriously I expected better from them. Truly disappointed, if not even Mark Waid's writing can bring me to care about this, then I know this "new Marvel" is probably not for me anyway.

Thank you for the best Spider-Man run that any fan could ever wish for, mister Dan Slott, if you ever come across to this post.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Zauri View Post
    I'll say this: if Marvel is going to take the spotlight away from Peter Parker again, I'm quitting. I went from cautiously excited with Secret Wars to complete dreading the series. I was planning to buy the whole saga, but I won't be doing that anymore.

Why Marvel can't let Peter Parker be Spider-Man? Why Marvel can't get someone inventive like Mark Millar and Brian K. Vaughan to create them new and ORIGINAL ideas? Seriously Marvel, it's not cute anymore, and I'm very open to different spins. I'm (was) buying Thor, Ms. Marvel and Superior Iron Man, along with Slott's Surfer and Slott's Spider-Man. When the 616 ends, I'm going with it. Not because I wouldn't like to go on, but Marvel is making it too hard for me to care.

I'm sure Marvel will be fine without me, but seriously I expected better from them. Truly disappointed, if not even Mark Waid's writing can bring me to care about this, then I know this "new Marvel" is probably not for me anyway.

Thank you for the best Spider-Man run that any fan could ever wish for, mister Dan Slott, if you ever come across to this post.
    Ditto, but I know this is illogical and unrealistic, because Spider-Man is Peter like Batman is Bruce Wayne and Superman is Clark Kent, and Aquaman is Arthur Curry and so on and so forth. Spider-Man is a myth creation like the greek heroes of old and he's always been Peter " Puny" Parker who is the constant element of the franchise which is successful.

Plus Third party companies got cocky with Spider-Man's brand using Sony's take on the character in the movie thinking it would match Marvel's sales, they were bankrupt because of it and now forced to be business partners with Marvel Studios for their foolishness.

Making Miles Morales a constant figure over a 68 year old million dollar property is stupid, it won't stick. Miles lacks about all of Peter's charm and uniqueness, and is more timid than Peter. It's not a good marketing strategy to use a re usable idea with a ethnic based character with basically no personality quirks to call his own.
    Last edited by jimishim12; 03-26-2015 at 08:11 PM.

The last GREAT original idea that Marvel turned into a book was Runaways, and that was back in July, 2003. I love Aaron's Thor, either Odinson or the new one, but HOW LONG can Marvel keep going doing basically putting these derivative characters in the spotlight? Yes creating new concepts and ideas IS hard, but it's not impossible, Vaughan and Millar keep creating new and interesting concepts with every other book they get out, why is it so hard for either Marvel and DC just DROP these gimmicks and start simply telling good stories with the classic characters and at the same time introduce new ones and new concepts?

Where is Next Wave? Where is things that are exciting because they are fresh and truly all new? Marvel, let me remind you of something: the "All New, All Different" tag was used first with the X-Men, and back the, you meant it. That book was full of new characters and ideas for the X-Men, what this new book isn't. Color me truly appalled if that's the best you could do for Free Comic Book Day.

Spectacular Member

[QUOTE=jimishim12;1055438]Ditto, but I know this is illogical and unrealistic, because Spider-Man is Peter like Batman is Bruce Wayne and Superman is Clark Kent, and Aquaman is Arthur Curry and so on and so forth. Spider-Man is a myth creation like the greek heroes of old and he's always been Peter " Puny" Parker who is the constant element of the franchise which is successful
    I have talked about the socio-economic and political concept behind Miles ( throw in Sam Wilson) and it plays a huge part in this. But the reality is the family aspect of comics is not the target market that comics are shooting for. The Fantastic Four ending is another example. To be honest. Seeing Pete end up with exactly the woman he belongs with ( MJ) plus Mayday instead of Felicia, Carly, rebooting him back to Betty or Gwen or worst of all Cindy Moon is the best we can hope for. I am sure I will miss Pete.and MJ ( it is another part of my childhood gone). All I will have left will be my Yankees, Islanders, Nittany Lions and of course, Steelers. It is sad that I am resigned to this being the optimal realistic scenario for me. At least ending OMD can allow me to leave comics happy.
    Last edited by Steeler53; 03-26-2015 at 08:47 PM.

I'm not going to jump the gun maybe this isn’t the flagship or maybe its meant to be but wont be, as far as i have heard we have no idea about what Peter will be up to post battleworld for all we know miles is the new scarlet spider or something while Peter is Spider-Man, but i would be disappointed if Peter was replaced as spider-man after coming back just last year (for me it’s only been three months) so i'm going to do something that i can't believe and that is be optimistic
    Truth is the best policy

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by VolcanikTiger86 View Post
    I'm not going to jump the gun maybe this isn’t the flagship or maybe its meant to be but wont be, as far as i have heard we have no idea about what Peter will be up to post battleworld for all we know miles is the new scarlet spider or something while Peter is Spider-Man, but i would be disappointed if Peter was replaced as spider-man after coming back just last year (for me it’s only been three months) so i'm going to do something that i can't believe and that is be optimistic
    I hope you are correct, but terms like "The Last Spider-Man Story" ( although that can refer to Dan Slott writing his "Last Spider-Man Story."), and "Monkey's Paw" ( which refers to a 1902 short story where 3 wishes are granted to the owner of a monkey's paw, and it ends in death). This can be easily interpreted by "Marriage Fans" ( like me), as will get our wish but it will lead to death. While I concede it could be MJ dying, it could be easily be viewed as the death the 'Amazing Spider-Man as a comic ( at least as far as Pete as 'Spider-Man' is concerned). Especially when coupled with the quote of DS "Father, Husband, and Hero in that order." and the fact that 'Superior' was a hit even without Peté. Which I think is most important of all. If Otto can be sold as Spider-Man, why not Miles? Of course, they key is a good writer. If the stories suck then people are not buying ( see TASM 2), but if hey are, good, then it does not matter who is Spider-Man. I am one who would care, but based on Superior Sales, I am in the minority. Does that mean Peté as Spidy is gone forever? No see Barry Allen. But I think they are going to give Miles a long leash before yanking it ( especially as Marvel tries for younger and more minority readers).

miles feels out of place on this part of the forum. i only see him as an ultimate character