Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BANNED

He's a Spider-Man. Seems to fit the theme of this particular board.

Quote Originally Posted by Sardorim View Post
    So, what about the rest of UU?

Will Ultimate Jessica Drew, Bombshell, and Kitty stay too?

What about the Ultimate X-Men?

Ultimate Sue Storm, Iron Man, Thing, or the such?
    I'm guessing Reed/Maker will come over because he has a lot of potential as a villain. Bombshell doesn't have a 616 counterpart as far as I know, so I guess maybe on her. I'd also like to know (don't need further stories) that Ultimate Peter, MJ, Gwen, and Aunt May survived.

Quote Originally Posted by Zauri View Post
    Why Marvel can't get someone inventive like Mark Millar and Brian K. Vaughan to create them new and ORIGINAL ideas?
    I don't want Millar anywhere near Spider-Man. I actually did like his MK run, but his stories tend too often to get into places I don't like mainstream superhero comics to go. Even in the MK story, he threw some Bilderberger nonsense in. And why is Mac Gargan still mad at anyone? Guy mostly seems like he's still a supervillain because it's the line of work he fell into or something.

Incredible Member Highland Chicken's Avatar

I highly doubt that Peter won't be the definitive Spider-man after secret wars. If he isn't he'll be back by the MCU Spider film or possibly Civil war.

The cover to Ultimate End #4.

Interestingly those seem to be 616 heroes defeated.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    I'm guessing Reed/Maker will come over because he has a lot of potential as a villain. Bombshell doesn't have a 616 counterpart as far as I know, so I guess maybe on her. I'd also like to know (don't need further stories) that Ultimate Peter, MJ, Gwen, and Aunt May survived.

I don't want Millar anywhere near Spider-Man. I actually did like his MK run, but his stories tend too often to get into places I don't like mainstream superhero comics to go. Even in the MK story, he threw some Bilderberger nonsense in. And why is Mac Gargan still mad at anyone? Guy mostly seems like he's still a supervillain because it's the line of work he fell into or something.
    I thought that part made sense for the kind of world that the Marvel Universe is, namely that even among such wonders and miracles as the superheroes are and produce, human evil, human weakness, and human flaws will still manage to cause more misery and hardship than the worst super-villain could dream of. Also, there's the matter of a lot of villains created in the beginnings of the modern Marvel Universe being sourced from or themed around the Cold War and the struggle between superpowers. If you account for the sliding timescale and that the modern MU "officially" began 10-13 years prior to the current stories, the Cold War would've been over for roughly a decade by the time the first modern superheroes and super-villains started to make themselves known, and writing all the Cold War-era villains in that context as all angry castoffs of the Soviet Union would get old pretty fast, given how outdated it'd be. Corporate perfidy being responsible for the rise of early super-villains was a perfectly sensible updated meta-origin to me and one there was plenty of precedent for in previous comics, given corporate villains like Justin Hammer, Sunset Bain, Roxxon and offshoots like Brand, and so forth who secretly bankrolled the empowerment or enhancement of super-villains for their own ends.

As for Miles being one of the lead members (judging by the cover) of the All-New, All-Different Avengers, well, that's a twist I wasn't expecting, but it could be good, depending on where Peter is in the post-Secret Wars Marvel Universe, especially if it gives Miles a chance to grow as a character (something the hyper-decompression of his creator's more recent comics hasn't given him that much of a chance to do).
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Corporate perfidy being responsible for the rise of early super-villains was a perfectly sensible updated meta-origin to me and one there was plenty of precedent for in previous comics, given corporate villains like Justin Hammer, Sunset Bain, Roxxon and offshoots like Brand, and so forth who secretly bankrolled the empowerment or enhancement of super-villains for their own ends.
    It wasn't written as corporate interests per se, just a general "people who really run the world".

That level of conspiracy thrown into the 616 universe introduces a futility and hopelessness I don't want in mainstream superhero stories. Some great stories can be had from the "you can't win, but you should try anyway" worldview, but that's not what I'm looking for in superhero comics.

Fantastic Member

It may not mean much... and it's probably Alonso just messing around... but in one of those weekly deals he does with CBR, he was hinting it may not be Miles under the mask that Avengers cover. Like I said, probably just Alonso screwing around with fans, but ya never know.

Quote Originally Posted by t-spider View Post
    It may not mean much... and it's probably Alonso just messing around... but in one of those weekly deals he does with CBR, he was hinting it may not be Miles under the mask that Avengers cover. Like I said, probably just Alonso screwing around with fans, but ya never know.
    I think it's safe to assume that Alonso knows that we know it's Miles. But perhaps the reason he's being coy about is because the obvious question people would ask (and are asking) is: "If Miles is the Spider-Man for the post-Secret Wars Avengers line-up, then how come he's on the team and not Peter?"
    --Mike McNulty, a.k.a. Stillanerd. Contributor for Bam Smack Pow! and Viral Hare
    Previous Articles for Whatever A Spider Can.
    Previous Articles for Spider-Man Crawlspace.

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

It wasn't written as corporate interests per se, just a general "people who really run the world".

That level of conspiracy thrown into the 616 universe introduces a futility and hopelessness I don't want in mainstream superhero stories. Some great stories can be had from the "you can't win, but you should try anyway" worldview, but that's not what I'm looking for in superhero comics.
    From what I recall, it was a joint conspiracy between corrupt corporate executives and corrupt politicians. All the same, I brought up the classic examples of corrupt corporations secretly bankrolling the creation or augmentation of super-villains for their own profit in the earlier comics because I thought what Millar did was just take that basic idea a step or two further. Maybe a step or two too far, judging by your consternation, but I thought it was a decent way to update a lot of villains whose Cold War origins made them obsolete in a world where the Cold War was long since over. Makes me wonder about his approach to Civil War, given the whole "secret cabal of corporate/political actors pulling the strings behind world leaders and events" that he introduced in MK Spider-Man; maybe it was really those guys pushing for registration and Tony was trying to undermine them from within while pretending to collaborate with them and from his point of view, Steve was going to wreck the whole thing by leading a half-cocked superhero revolt.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler53 View Post
    I am certainly elated that Pete is not going to be in The Avengers. What does it LIKELY mean? The end ( for now), of Peté as Spider-Man ( in 616). It does make sense, because Marvel is stressing "Diversity" in their comics, and the minority kids of today ( the ones who can relate to Miles more than Pete), will be the collectors of tomorrow. But on a non-Socio perspective, Pete basically disappeared for a year (' Superior'), and sales did not tank, and to be honest, Pete is an extremely reluctant hero, and can survive without being Spider-Man. Last but certainly not least, for the MJ fans ( and OMD Haters), like me, we can be happy seeing Pete transition towards a different life: where "With Great Power Comes Great Responsibîlity" becomes Parker Industries, MJ, Mayday, and mentoring Miles.One more point, I also wonder if Norm giving up being Green Goblin and being even more evil, will be an even more dangerous enemy of Pete in Boardrooms than the street ( where Pete ( as a corporate newbie), will have to fight battles on Osborn's turf). Basically a chess match where we see Osborn as a JR Ewing/ Lex Luthor type behind the scenes and Pete having to counter moves would be interesting.
    I'd love that as JR Ewing is one of my favorite villains of all time. Norman would make a great, full time evil driven businessman with a deep hatred for his new Wall Street rival Peter Parker.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberhubbs View Post
    Ah yes. Cutting each other off at the corporate pass with legal loopholes and restraining orders. Exciting stuff.
    Knowing Norman he'd do more than that. As JR Ewing once said -

"My friends are easy to find they are in the state capital. My enemies are also easy to find, they are in the graveyards."

Using such a character model Norman and maybe later on Kingsley, could both provide interesting foils to Peter's new lifestyle.

BANNED

Mark Millar would make a killer Scarlet Spider though. And I like some darkness in the Spider-Man world in general, bittersweetness is the usual ingredient in Spider-Man plot, I want to see a a darker than Kraven's last Hunt story.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberhubbs View Post
    With all due respect to GoT, and I do like the books and the show, I'm gonna say it's more about the bloody spectacle than the political intrigue. But if one of them starts lining up severed heads on pikes outside their office building, then I'll agree to the comparison.
    Hey, the Osborns are basically House Lannister now with Norman/Liz/Normie being the Tywin/Cersei/Joffrey equivalents respectively. Heads on pikes doesn't seem so far-fetched.

I'm sorry but to keep superhero comics from getting staid and/or infantile, they have to reflect the real world in either literal or metaphorical ways. Since the serial nature of comics is one permanent "you can't win, but you should try anyway" running gag anyway, might as well make the stories more interesting and dynamic.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    I'm sorry but to keep superhero comics from getting staid and/or infantile, they have to reflect the real world in either literal or metaphorical ways. Since the serial nature of comics is one permanent "you can't win, but you should try anyway" running gag anyway, might as well make the stories more interesting and dynamic.
    The whole point of Watchmen was to show superheroes in a more real world setting . . . and how it doesn't really work.

I also reject the idea that Bilderberg/Illuminati/FreeMason/LizardPeople conspiracies are part of the real world. They're generally as silly as anything in a Silver Age comic book.
    Last edited by Tuck; 03-28-2015 at 07:09 AM.