Super Moderator

Default Shelf Life: Mistaking Researching for Writing

How much research is too much for your writing? How much is too little? Ron Marz brings his years of writing experience to bear on the question.

Full article here.

John stewart sucks DevilsGambit's Avatar

Well considering that the recent critiques of comics have done little research. I think I would rather have someone knowing almost everything about a character. As opposed to very little.

Mighty Member America / Bucky / Russia's Avatar

I think a lot of research is alright so long as the writer possesses the capability to not do an imitation, but to creatively approach it. Even with superheroes I would rather have new villains than an old villain given a sequel. Because after a while the old villains end up being placed in the same stories rather than an original situation.
    Films blog / Books blog / Comics blog / Tumblr / Twitter / Flickr / Photobucket / Dailymotion / YouTube
    My BFI Film Academy short film Hold-Out
    Review column on Doctor Who fansite kasterborous.com
    CBR's LGBT Community

I like to write a preliminary story first, then research details and correct any possible errors before it's a final copy. I do this way because I also have gotten in situation where I'm doing too much research to point where I have nothing written as far as story goes.

Amazing Member

On the one hand, I see his point about how it's more important to focus on the story you want to tell than it is to memorize a character's entire continuity (especially since that can be as much as 75 years of material if we're talking just comics). On the other hand, I can't help but feel that the "know the high points" attitude has lead to us getting at least six stories in the last thirty years where Hank Pym dealt with his guilt over striking Jan and/or creating Ultron.

I agree with you, Kit Walker.

Agree pretty much. While there are no industry standards in this regard, it's obvious to fans when the writer hasn't properly researched the character they're writing. I always loved that Marz seemed throughly acquainted with the characters he wrote.