Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default "All-New, All-Different" Marvel Comics or "All-Derivative, All-Rehashed" Marvel Comics?

Full disclosure:

This comes from someone that went from cautiously optimistic with Marvel's future after Secret Wars to completely jaded with the first glimpse of the future after seeing the cover for the "All-New, All-Different Avengers" Free Comic Book Day book. I was planning to buy the whole saga and tie-ins, I was hoping to feel like the little kid that loved every issue of Secret Wars back then, but I came to the realization after the cover reveal that maybe Marvel Comics aren't for me anymore. Why I say that? Is it because I'm against change, diversity and I can't "share my toys" like my favorite writer would say? I don't think so, let me try to explain my point of view.

This is the cover of All-New, All-Different Avengers:

This is the cover of All-New, All-Different X-Men:

This is the cover of The Runaways HC First Series:

And this is the cover of Next Wave #01:

http://i.annihil.us/u/prod/marvel/i/...f29/detail.jpg

Am I alone or all the three old covers seem a lot more exciting than the one we are getting for All-New, All-Different Avengers? Maybe it's just me, but what is truly exciting in those comic covers - especially for me that was a big fan of all of them - it's that they were inventive, fun and original. They had a heart of their own and gave a fresh point of view for the Marvel Universe. New interesting corners, brand new characters that aren't really based on anything that came before, new concepts and such.

What is so wrong about the "All-New, All-Different Avengers" is that how much borderline cynically derivative it seems to me, from the X-Men tagline to the versions of Spider-Man, Nova, Ms. Marvel, Captain America, Iron Man and Thor. And I'm actual a FAN of Aaron's Thor and Willow's Ms. Marvel. Isolated, I think they are cool derivative concepts (in the case of Thor) and truly great different spins (Ms. Marvel), but am I the only one that is getting kind of tired of that? Yes, Marvel is pushing for diversity, yay. Maybe I have only myself to blame, but when I thought about Marvel after Secret Wars, I imagined the return of the House of the Ideas, I imagined Marvel going bold with new and original concepts, not only bringing back the Runaways, but searching for new concepts and ideas to populate a new and vibrant Marvel Universe.

What I'm saying is that whatever Marvel is doing to push diversity, I don't think it's the right way to go. The first time that the "All New, All Different" tagline was used, Marvel meant it: Nightcrawler, Colossus, Storm and Thunderbird were all brand new characters, Wolverine was virtually a Marvel novice back then. What I'm saying is that if this "All-New, All-Different Avengers", and "Welcome to the Inhumans - Hope you survive the experience" is what Marvel think as bold and fresh moving forward, maybe my expiration date is coming with the end of the 616 universe, maybe my readership will be yet another casualty of "the end of everything".

I just sincerely hoped for better. I was legitimately stoked for Marvel's future, but I wish Marvel would have more respect with their fans and their own characters. I'm in favor of diversity and I think that Marvel should push new and innovative books like Runaways and Next Wave, it's too bad that they think that in order to create this new and diverse Marvel Universe, they think it's worth to cannibalize their own characters and readership.

I'm just a jaded Marvel fanboy that read these comics for far too long anyway. I guess I'm maybe just finally growing out of Marvel Comics. I mean, if not even Mark Waid's writing can bring me to care about this, then I know this is probably not for me anyway. I just think that if Millar and Vaughan can create new concepts from each comic series they make, why is it so hard for Marvel just create something new, you know? Oh well, at least "Renew Your Vows" seems like a good jumping off point, written by my all time favorite Spider-Man writer.

Welcome, "all-new all-different" Marvel Comics. I genuinely "hope you survive the experience",
    Last edited by ijacksparrow; 03-26-2015 at 10:00 PM.