Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

"Same Concept, Different Delivery" wasn't marketable enough.

I think you are being a little over critical IN MY OPINION. Of course you are entitled to your own opinion but in this group we have potentially 3 women, if that's pepper in the iron man suit, in very strongly male dominated character positions and 2 young guns with miles and nova and then we have captain falcon and the vision. I think this team is very diverse and is a different play on the classic avengers line-up. Yes the character titles "Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, Spider-Man" but that's just a name and not their personality. I think this group will be good.
    Pull List:
    DC: Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Action Comics, Detective Comics, Green Lanterns, The Flash, Aquaman, Titans, Justice League, HJATGL, Supergirl, Superwoman, DC Bombshells
    Marvel: CANCELLED (good luck with your seasonal approach and constant reboots... I'll miss the characters though)
    Zenescope: Grimm Fairy Tales

Spectacular Member

Just call them Miles,Falcon, She Thor,and Kamela you will be fine.

It's just a tagline Marvel occasionally uses when they debut a new line-up. I doubt it's meant to be taken quite so literally.

I felt that changing up the comics to make things match the movies to make things easier for new readers was a little insulting to said readers intelligence. It wouldn't take them long to figure out that the comics and the movies aren't exactly the same. If the comics and the movies are exactly the same, then why pay $4 every month for a comic book when I can pay $7-$10 for a movie every year. Archie's sonic the hedgehog isn't exactly like the games, and it's been around for 20 years.

I can get that feeling too, of not being into the changes that are being made, got nothing to do with race, gender, or sexuality, It's great that marvel is becoming more diverse, but I don't get excited about a lot of new marvel stuff anymore. The only marvel book I'm following regularly is Guardians 3000. It's a mystery in space that has fun in it, but it's not goofy like the other space books marvel has. Nothing wrong with goofy every now and then, but it would be nice to have a little more variety. Shame it's being cancelled, but Abnett is writing Korvac Saga, so I might check that out.

I used to think that there was something wrong with me, that I wasn't being socially minded enough, or a sexist, for not being into some of these new books. I had forgotten to take taste into account. I'm getting older, and my tastes are changing. In the new year, I decided to read more indie books. I read a lot more from IDW, Image, Valiant, and Archie than I do from the big two, and I have to say that I am a lot happier.

I think it takes a lot of strength to let go of the things we loved when we were children, and find something new to enjoy. Nostalgia is a cruel, seductive mistress.

Quote Originally Posted by Zauri View Post
    I haven't bought a DC title in almost two decades. Marvel's new initiative might be the final push I needed for that, Snyder's Batman looks great.
    I think maybe you should venture outside the superhero genre, maybe. Marvel or DC or any other superhero comic is going to seem pretty derivative to you at this point, except for truly exceptional runs like the ones you pointed out.

If you're not excited by this team of Avengers, then skip it. I mean, as different as it may be, it's still the Avengers.

But buying Justice League instead of Avengers doesn't seem like a solution.

Invincible Member

You don't see DC giving the Superman's, Wonder Woman's or Batman's identity to every other character every other year. You don't see DC creating new content either, but that's why I feel Marvel need actual talent to give them new sandboxes, instead of making every character an Avengers filled with Thors, Spider-Men and Caps.
    DC has done stories where Supes/Bats/WW have been replaced. They create occasional new characters that don't get much push. They use legacy heroes, some catch on and some don't. Marvel and DC are similar in this regard.

. . . there's room for growth in the MCU, especially since they are taking the mutants away . . .
    AGAIN? That trick NEVER works!

Quote Originally Posted by Cinnamon View Post
    Or maybe you could take a look at other publishers, like Image.
    Woah, hold up! Let's not go crazy.

I swear..

If this cover was Steve Rogers, Stark, Odinson, Vision, Carol Danvers, Richard Rider, and Peter Parker, none of this "weird-ish" complaints would exist.

Instead of focusing on the fact that, "DIVERSITY OMG," you could focus on the fact they are takign some established avengers (Vision, Falcon, maybe Stark) and for some reason mixing them with some VERY VERY new and/or young heros like new Nova, Lady Thor, new Ms. Marvel, and Miles.

Hell, not only is Miles a young character... he is also going to be stuck in an entirely different universe where "spider-man" means something different.

Why not get excited about that aspect and that mixture of characters? Why is everyone so focused on the diversity aspect when they are moaning and complaining?
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

BANNED

If you think the others covers you posted are somehow more exciting than the new ANADA, fine. It's completely subjective. I find nothing particularly better or worse about any of them and, of course, they're just covers. They're not the stories inside. If something doesn't appeal to you, it doesn't appeal to you. Whatever Marvel's doing right now, it appeals to me and as a reader that's all I care about. When they stop publishing books I don't like, I'll either cut back or walk away altogether, as I have at different points in the past. But complaining that "The House of Ideas has run out of ideas!" in the same manner that disgruntled fans have been lodging their complaints against Marvel since, oh, FOREVER (if you go by reader complaints, every era of Marvel has been The End of Marvel)...that'd be a waste of time.

I have a strong feeling, though, that Mark Waid has a very good Avengers book in him. To expect anything else makes little sense.
    Last edited by Joe Acro; 03-30-2015 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Snark filter

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    I swear..

If this cover was Steve Rogers, Stark, Odinson, Vision, Carol Danvers, Richard Rider, and Peter Parker, none of this "weird-ish" complaints would exist.

Instead of focusing on the fact that, "DIVERSITY OMG," you could focus on the fact they are takign some established avengers (Vision, Falcon, maybe Stark) and for some reason mixing them with some VERY VERY new and/or young heros like new Nova, Lady Thor, new Ms. Marvel, and Miles.

Hell, not only is Miles a young character... he is also going to be stuck in an entirely different universe where "spider-man" means something different.

Why not get excited about that aspect and that mixture of characters? Why is everyone so focused on the diversity aspect when they are moaning and complaining?
    I don't think he was complaining about the diversity. Actually, I think his point was that this book isn't really all that different from any other Avengers book. I think he was saying he wants something that is truly different, and he cited those other books as examples.

And I can understand that, to an extent. Wanting something original from Marvel is a request or expectation I can agree with. However, seeing a new Avenger book and being let down because it's not that different from other Avengers books....that just seems off. Why would it really be that different?

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    If you think the others covers you posted are somehow more exciting than the new ANADA, fine. It's completely subjective. I find nothing particularly better or worse about any of them and, of course, they're just covers. They're not the stories inside. If something doesn't appeal to you, it doesn't appeal to you. Whatever Marvel's doing right now, it appeals to me and as a reader that's all I care about. When they stop publishing books I don't like, I'll either cut back or walk away altogether, as I have at different points in the past. But complaining that "The House of Ideas has run out of ideas!" in the same manner that disgruntled fans have been lodging their complaints against Marvel since, oh, FOREVER (if you go by reader complaints, every era of Marvel has been The End of Marvel)...that'd be a waste of time.

I have a strong feeling, though, that Mark Waid has a very good Avengers book in him. To expect anything else makes little sense.
    I agree. I only read a handful of Marvel titles at this point. Not because I don't dig the characters, but more because I've been reading long enough that most stories seem derivative to some extent. I don't think that makes me jaded. I suppose if I continued to read the books and then complained about how they weren't different, kind of how the OP did, then that label might make more sense.

I think there comes a time for most fans where they have to decide to start being more picky with what they follow.

It's obviously not about the covers itself that I'm talking about, but feel free to completely miss my point.

Amazing Member

Slott's Spidey is great because the writer is great and actually cares about writing great Spider-Man stories, and it seems that the same goes for Snyder's Batman. I know that things don't look good on the other side with all this Convergence non sense either, but if Marvel is going to keep pushing me versions of their characters from here to infinity, I think I'd rather read something else more focused on quality than gimmicks.
    But Slott just got done with a whole new Spidey with Superior. And when he was done with that we got Parker back. So basically what you're acknowledging is that sometimes new takes can inject fresh life into an old character and make even jaded old folks rave about what a great job the writer is doing with the classic character? I'm not a cap fan so I don't have anything to say about that, I don't want to read Falcon but then I didn't want to read Rogers either, but I've got no doubts that Thor is going entertaining places.