Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    BANNED

I don't think there's ever been a single generation where some "older" fans didn't complain about being left behind just because they don't like something.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zauri View Post
    Batman is popular because he IS Batman. And by that I mean that he is consistent, Bruce Wayne is Batman. Other than Jean Paul Valley and Dick Grayson short stints, that's always the case, and that's why Snyder's book is so consistent. And same goes for Wonder Woman book.

In the Marvel's side, now Captain America is a) Steve Rogers b) Sam Wilson c) Bucky Barnes. Spider-Men everywhere, Red and Green Hulk, and the list goes on. It's weakening the brand, and that's what I believe it's turning people off.
    People are buyng Spider Gwen, Silk, Thor, etc. That's what they want to do. Captain America isn't three people it's Sam. It is selling too. How does selling comic books weaken the brand? It's the point of having the brand.

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    they haven't really used it since.
    They don't use it in titles very often, but you do see it in solicitations and promotional materials. I'm pretty sure Scott Lobdell's Alpha Flight used it, once or twice. So did Matt Fraction's Defenders.

I think this team should be called the "All-Legacy Avengers."

Quote Originally Posted by teamhawkeyes View Post
    The superhero titles may be the same, but the actual CHARACTERS themselves are not. Miles is not Peter. Sam is not Steve. New Thor is not Odinson. Kamala is not Carol. We don't even know who is in the Iron Man suit. These are new characters to the Avengers. Same superhero name, but different characters.
    At least until Steve, Odinson, and possibly Tony reclaim their legacies (AGAIN).

Quote Originally Posted by Zauri View Post
    In the Marvel's side, now Captain America is a) Steve Rogers b) Sam Wilson c) Bucky Barnes.
    And don't forget that
    (d.) William Naslund (former Spirit of '76)
    (e.) Jeffrey Mace (former Patriot)
    (f.) William Burnside (former wacko)
    (g.) John Walker (former Super-Patriot / later U.S. Agent)
    are also among those who replaced Steve Rogers as Captain America.

As much as I have complained about one title, I still like a lot of things that Marvel is doing. I think with Waid on it will be really food. Yes it would have been nice if it didn't have mostly legacy characters. I say this lineup coming with the exception of Vision and Ironman. With Waid on it I plan to get it.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    And don't forget that
    (d.) William Naslund (former Spirit of '76)
    (e.) Jeffrey Mace (former Patriot)
    (f.) William Burnside (former wacko)
    (g.) John Walker (former Super-Patriot / later U.S. Agent)
    are also among those who replaced Steve Rogers as Captain America.
    James Rhodes and Happy Hogan have both been Iron Man.

Erik Masterson has been Thor (so has Red Norville).

Legacies aren't anything new in the Marvel Universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Expletive Deleted View Post
    They don't use it in titles very often, but you do see it in solicitations and promotional materials. I'm pretty sure Scott Lobdell's Alpha Flight used it, once or twice. So did Matt Fraction's Defenders.
    yes they used it for alpha flight, and once or twice again in the other main x-men books. but alpha flight is technically under the x-men umbrella of titles.

if it was ever used in fraction's defenders i cannot find the reference.

I'm just annoyed that Marvel Comics seems to be borrowing entirely too much from the X-Men.

"All-New, All Different", "Welcome to Inhumans...", as well as taking characters like Wolverine and Rogue over to these books like Uncanny Avengers, etc. Seems like Marvel knows that the X-Men are cooler than any of the characters they own and refuse to try and make the other characters anything but awesome on their own.

I guess I want the stuff that the X-Men made famous to remain strictly X-Men. Marvel Comics can do better. Way better.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

I have a similar problem with Battleworld in that it is in itself a new concept but most of the separate sectors are gonna be based on old Marvel alternate Universe stories, right. But we've read these stories. I don't want to read about Apocalypse ruling the World again.

That said, I sort of find that All-New Avengers cover somehow exciting and I would be even more interested in reading these characters if Tony and Vision were not there. It reminds me of the All-New X-Men they've had since last year. It's new versions of classic characters, new dynamics. They could have a new title later on where it's the classic guys maybe a new version of Shield lead by a rejuvenated Steve Rogers.

That Avengers lineup is awful.

And seriously, "all new, all different"...? Lol they're really going with that tag-line?

Looks like I'll be down to Hawkeye, Ant-Man and maybe Uncanny Avengers if Remender can get back to pre-AXIS quality.

Contrast that to where I was just two years ago when I had about 9 or 10 comics on my pull list.

Why is Marvel not creating new characters with their own identity and not using Thor, Captain America, Spider-man, or any other legacy characters? If they sold then Marvel would publish those titles. Why not Blue Marvel, Spectrum, Scarlet Witch, Luke Cage Misty Knight, 3-D man and War machine, another book most people didn't buy? How about Sif but people ignored her book also. I bought it. I personally do not care if they diversify the books that Marvel or Dc publish. I don't look at the previews with some racial quota. I just want to read books with the characters that I like. Mark Waid is writing this so I plan to give it a try. And the only characters that I like on the team are Falcon and Vision, everybody else I do not care about. Creating diversity is smart for the long run.
    Last edited by nnelg; 03-27-2015 at 11:32 PM.

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

nnelg, Marvel has created new characters, and when they do people don't want to buy them because they are New and not connected to a legacy. It's the same problem with Video games right now. A good percentage of people in comments and press say they want new and different sort of games, but when those come out they don't sell, or they sell at a low amount.

Example: Mario brothers games.jpg This is a chart of the SuperMario brother's games sold by title. The pattern there is pretty simple. The Highest selling ones are the ones where they are the same as the first game, where as the others that have change in them Galexy and Sunshine are the lower selling ones.

Comic readers are the same way, they say they want new and exciting, and when a new character comes along, like say Gravity, they don't sell well because it's not someone that readers already know. So this ballyhooing about wanting new stories and new ideas isn't really as honest as some people are claiming. Sure a number of people really do want interesting stories, but the sales numbers are showing a different thing.

Batman sells so well because there's this weird idea that he's this uber perfect can't do any wrong character. A percentage of readers don't care about Bruce Wanye and prefer him in the suit at all times.

This is where the problem lies. You can't say "I want new and different characters" but then go "But they have to be connected to Spider-man, but they can't be spider-man, because then I won't read them." Do people that say this have any idea how hard it is to write a comic in the first place? Book writing is easy compared to comic writing.