Default Value of Claremont/Lee X-Men?

I recently picked up all four covers from Chris Claremont and Jim Lee's relaunched X-Men #1 from 1991 at a comic convention for $20. Should I be psyched, since that SEEMS like a steal to me (I'm still a bit of a noob when it comes to collecting), or did I get ripped off? I understand that since they're from the 90's they haven't had a lot of time to accumulate value, but will they one day be worth something?

Either way, I'm happy to have them! It's a cool gatefold!

Thanks for the help!

Unfortunately, you have been ripped off.

There is actually an excess supply of X-Men #1 on the market so it's value has heavily diminished over the years to the point it's not worth anything at all. In near mint condition, a copy is probably worth maybe $2.

For what it's worth, I loved that issue. You should get the 2nd and 3rd issues of that series to complete Claremont's last X-men storyline.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

Rats! Thanks for the help though! I'll start looking around for those 2nd and 3rd issues, if they're as good as you say. I guess it will take me a little more experience before I get really good at this collecting game!

Quote Originally Posted by weezer17 View Post
    Rats! Thanks for the help though! I'll start looking around for those 2nd and 3rd issues, if they're as good as you say. I guess it will take me a little more experience before I get really good at this collecting game!
    I would recommend checking prices for any issues you are interested in buying across several websites online so you can get a general idea of what it's worth. The site below is a really good place to buy comics if you are new to them and want to test them out without spending too much.

https://www.mycomicshop.com/
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by !Pharozonk! View Post
    I would recommend checking prices for any issues you are interested in buying across several websites online so you can get a general idea of what it's worth. The site below is a really good place to buy comics if you are new to them and want to test them out without spending too much.

https://www.mycomicshop.com/
    Plus, you can use their want list to check out what they would pay for a issue, and those prices are always very accurate.
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Thanks for all the help, guys! That website is pretty great, I'll start my research there.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

You may not have been ripped off quite as badly as some might think. Collected sets of variants actually sell for more than individual issues in these days. Since you have all four covers in one package, $20 for the set doesn't seem all that egregious.

(Unless you meant $20 per issue. Then you were fleeced big time.)

Quote Originally Posted by weezer17 View Post
    I recently picked up all four covers from Chris Claremont and Jim Lee's relaunched X-Men #1 from 1991 at a comic convention for $20. Should I be psyched, since that SEEMS like a steal to me (I'm still a bit of a noob when it comes to collecting), or did I get ripped off? I understand that since they're from the 90's they haven't had a lot of time to accumulate value, but will they one day be worth something?

Either way, I'm happy to have them! It's a cool gatefold!

Thanks for the help!
    There were actually five covers. Four individual covers, then a deluxe gatefold edition which had the entire image.