Page 927 of 1010 FirstFirst ... 427827877917923924925926927928929930931937977 ... LastLast
Results 13,891 to 13,905 of 15150
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by G-Potion View Post
    I just read a tumblr post on King, how HiC is handled and that disregarding a character's character is also a thing in his other books (Vision included). Looks like more and more people are seeing the pattern and getting fed up. I'm staying away from HiC until I know the conclusion.
    Except Vision was a good series. Of Course tumblr, seems to hate most of Kings stuff for some dumb reason or the other. While I dunno about how HIC will turn out. I hate killing heroes it always seems dumb or cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Alycat View Post
    Except Vision was a good series. Of Course tumblr, seems to hate most of Kings stuff for some dumb reason or the other. While I dunno about how HIC will turn out. I hate killing heroes it always seems dumb or cheap.
    I don't read Vision so can't comment on it. But I do think that you can have a quality story and still do a disservice to a character. King is imo more of a 'molding characters to fit his theme' than the other way around after all.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Also, if a person's reason for reading or liking a character is a particular trait of the character, changing it means erasing the reason they like it, even if the story's good. The best they can say will be "the story is good, but this is the wrong character to do it"

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    If Cheshire can show up, I don’t see why Jason couldn’t make it.
    He probably doesn't know yet. Or doesn't want to risk being caught by Bruce. Or cannot deal with the pain of being there. Could be any of these.

I just read a tumblr post on King, how HiC is handled and that disregarding a character's character is also a thing in his other books (Vision included). Looks like more and more people are seeing the pattern and getting fed up. I'm staying away from HiC until I know the conclusion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alycat View Post
    I like The Vision, the book he wrote. I like it a lot, it's a really good book. As far as I know, Vision wasn't very out of character, but apparently King didn't take some parts of his development as a character over the years into consideration (I'm not familiar enough with the character to know in depth). Same happened for Wanda, and that one I definitely can vouch for. But it wasn't something realy drastic either. I think people usually complain more about Kyle in Omega Men, but I don't know him well enough to know for sure. In any case, neither are as deep of a spin in characterization as is his Mister Miracle, and people say that book is turning a bit of a letdown (I decided to wait for the whole story to end after issue 3). It's going to hurt King credit, probably, if it's not hurting him already. I think it's sad, because I really, really like Scott and Barda, they're lovely and have a lot of potential for stories; it could've been a good chance to give them some good exposire, and despite all the stuff that was... off, I liked what I was reading, as a mystery story, if not as a accurate depiction of the characters.
    Last edited by Zaresh; 10-01-2018 at 08:53 PM. Reason: Caught, damn it

Astonishing Member TooFlyToFail's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Tzitzimine View Post
    Just read HIC#1

Roy deserved better.

And yes, the whole thing is a mess.
    I don't mind. Partially because the characters aren't up to much, imo.

I liked the interview parts, and Harley/Gold. Wonder why Bruce never forced Jason to go to Sanctuary, or at least got him there for one session. Maybe he did, but he's too poor a parent to give the benefit of the doubt.

Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

Here's the alleged tumblr post

https://spiralcass.tumblr.com/post/1...more-effective

The author isn't saying that Vision was a bad book, but that it failed miserably to give to the character death in it, coming off just like something done just for shock's sake. Something that it has become something of a trend with King's writing.

Wonder why Bruce never forced Jason to go to Sanctuary, or at least got him there for one session. Maybe he did, but he's too poor a parent to give the benefit of the doubt.
    Because the whole thing was something that they pulled out of their ass without bothering to properly fit it within the context of the DCU.

Heroes in Crisis was planned for a while, it's just that King asked DC for characters he can use however he wants because he prefers to create the story he wants rather than fitting a character to his story, so he doesn't wanna use characters who already have plans of their own. DC came back with Harley and Booster.

I don't think Jason would want to go anyway. Even if he wasn't beaten up, he has his own ideal and doesn't consider himself as needing mental help. I can see him mouthing back "shouldn't it be you who is treated?" or at the very least he'll go if Batman goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    I don't think Jason would want to go anyway. Even if he wasn't beaten up, he has his own ideal and doesn't consider himself as needing mental help. I can see him mouthing back "shouldn't it be you who is treated?" or at the very least he'll go if Batman goes.
    I agree that Jason wouldn't be easy to persuade on this matter. Still, it's on Batman to make the offer in the first place if he cares enough. I'll concur though, that the idea that both of them checking in Sanctuary together is pretty funny.

I agree that Jason wouldn't be easy to persuade on this matter. Still, it's on Batman to make the offer in the first place if he cares enough. I'll concur though, that the idea that both of them checking in Sanctuary together is pretty funny.
    I think the bridges have been burned between the black sheep and emotionally distant dad for some time. I doubt Jason would even give Bruce the time of day to even hear him out on such a thing right now, let alone consider it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    I think the bridges have been burned between the black sheep and emotionally distant dad for some time. I doubt Jason would even give Bruce the time of day to even hear him out on such a thing right now, let alone consider it.
    Considering that Sanctuary has been a thing for a while, Bruce could have mentioned it to him at any time between RHATO#6 and #25. Their relationship was getting better then. But anyway, it just goes to show that stuff is made up on a whim without considering how little sense it makes and how badly it reflects the Trinity.
    Last edited by G-Potion; 10-01-2018 at 11:18 PM.

Mighty Member

Considering that Sanctuary has been a thing for a while, Bruce could have mentioned it to him at any time between RHATO#6 and #25. Their relationship was getting better then. But anyway, it just goes to show that stuff is made up on a whim without considering how little sense it makes and how badly it reflects the Trinity.
    I think this is what I hate the most honestly. So many of these decisions make the trinity/ the JL look bad. Not saying they should be perfect, but there are mistakes and then there is dumb nonsense. Like in Identity Crisis where memories were being erased. Which was one thing that doubled in being awful when it showed Superman knew about it.

To be fair don't all the batfam need therapy to some degree? But more importantly were any of the batfam members invited for group therapy? I'm pretty sure Dick, Babs, Tim and Damian were on the cover for issue #1 and Tim was on a hit list too, but if the Sanctuary members were all supposedly slaughtered (other than Harley and Boost unless I'm missing something here) so far I don't think narrative wise any of the batfam were invited.

I mean, it could definitely change, but for now, Sanctuary feels less like a therapeutic safe space for heroes and more like a sad club for...

In DC's eyes, not mine.

Heroes in Crisis was planned for a while, it's just that King asked DC for characters he can use however he wants because he prefers to create the story he wants rather than fitting a character to his story, so he doesn't wanna use characters who already have plans of their own. DC came back with Harley and Booster.

Once the approved such a place existing in the DCU they should have worked it into the books that Bruce at the very least tried. Not just Jason but other members of the family [Dick is well balanced so maybe not him].

Not providing readers with such reflects badly on Bruce as a parent. They need to give Bruce an out for why his kids who need this service aren't using it.
    Last edited by dietrich; 10-02-2018 at 07:23 AM.

Yeah, but that would make sense, both Bruce being a good parent and the whole Bat family needing therapy, but Sanctuary ceased being a therapy group since... I don't know, and instead become a dumping ground for promotional murder.

Yeah, but that would make sense, both Bruce being a good parent and the whole Bat family needing therapy, but Sanctuary ceased being a therapy group since... I don't know, and instead become a dumping ground for promotional murder.
    Pretty much

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    Not providing readers with such reflects badly on Bruce as a parent. They need to give Bruce an out for why his kids who need this service aren't using it.

Easy fix

Just make a fake group chat with Bruce sending invites to Sanctuary.

Batfam Group chat

*Bruce has joined the groupchat

Bruce: You're all invited to Sanctuary, it's a support center for heroes, metas and vigilantes alike that provides therapy and assists in dealing with past issues and trauma. I encourage you all to be there.

Barbara: Okay, seems practical.

Dick: That sounds really helpful.

Tim: okay but do we really need it?

Jason: Wait, Bruce. Tell me one thing. Did YOU make this?

Bruce: Yes, well the idea was partially mine and I am funding it.

Jason has left the group chat

Barbara has left the group chat

Tim has left the group chat

Dick has left the group chat

Bruce: Damian?

Damian: I am visiting the Kents this week.

Bruce: Clark is going to be at Sanctuary and Jon isn't even on Earth at the mo....

Damian has left the group chat

There's a more realistic interpretation of family outings :P