Page 1008 of 1010 FirstFirst ... 85089089589981004100510061007100810091010 LastLast
Results 15,106 to 15,120 of 15150
    Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by G-Potion View Post
    Ah, that is a flashback from DOTF.

Is been a while so I guess is fine to tell it, Snyder did plan to have Jason losing his face during that story. He figured he would give Tynion a hand to kickstart his run with a bang, but thankfully, the cover leaked and editorial realized the pain in the ass that would be for trades if the story didn't actually ended in the main title and axed the idea. We were lucky.

Anyways, Dexter posted this

https://twitter.com/dextersoy/status...65528098402304

No confirmation on who is Batman but he looks a lot like Jay.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

That sounds like an aweful idea. We really dodged a bullet with that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Tzitzimine View Post
    Ah, that is a flashback from DOTF.

Is been a while so I guess is fine to tell it, Snyder did plan to have Jason losing his face during that story. He figured he would give Tynion a hand to kickstart his run with a bang, but thankfully, the cover leaked and editorial realized the pain in the ass that would be for trades if the story didn't actually ended in the main title and axed the idea. We were lucky.

Anyways, Dexter posted this

https://twitter.com/dextersoy/status...65528098402304

No confirmation on who is Batman but he looks a lot like Jay.
    Yeah I remember that, though I dont understand why that was the direction Snyder wanted in the first place. Was it supposed to contrast the Joker at the time? Did DC want a darker direction for Jason at that point? Was it supposed to work into Tynions plot for rhato ie the whole amnesia thing, another loss of identity? Was it supposed to be a permanant addition to the character? *shrug

And oooh yes I saw that piece as well and yes it definately looks like Jason. It doesn't look anything like Bruce did in rhato rebirth 6 thats for sure.

Yet another reason to not like Snyder's wild ideas. Yikes. Not my cup of tea. A scar, some mark or brand, like in AK, is already a bit too much on the edgy side for me. The whole face being burnt, no thanks.

I already lived through the 90's and it wasn't very pleasant. Just a little bit.

Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedBird View Post
    Yeah I remember that, though I dont understand why that was the direction Snyder wanted in the first place. Was it supposed to contrast the Joker at the time? Did DC want a darker direction for Jason at that point? Was it supposed to work into Tynions plot for rhato ie the whole amnesia thing, another loss of identity? Was it supposed to be a permanant addition to the character? *shrug
    Pure shock value. And the amnesia plot was something Tynion threw together at the last moment after the original plan of having a mutilated Jason fell through.

For anyone who hasn't seen it, here is old leaked cover for new 52 rhato #19.

Red_Hood_and_the_Outlaws_Vol_1_19_WTF_Solicit.jpg

Talk about edgelord XD

[QUOTE=Dark_Tzitzimine;4102606] Is been a while so I guess is fine to tell it, Snyder did plan to have Jason losing his face during that story. He figured he would give Tynion a hand to kickstart his run with a bang, but thankfully, the cover leaked and editorial realized the pain in the ass that would be for trades if the story didn't actually ended in the main title and axed the idea. We were lucky.
    /QUOTE]

Oh God! I remember that. I don't think a single person liked the idea. People were flat out horrified by that.
    Last edited by kaimaciel; 12-28-2018 at 01:01 AM.

For anyone who hasn't seen it, here is old leaked cover for new 52 rhato #19.

Red_Hood_and_the_Outlaws_Vol_1_19_WTF_Solicit.jpg

Talk about edgelord XD
    We are lucky, for once.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Tzitzimine View Post
    Pure shock value. And the amnesia plot was something Tynion threw together at the last moment after the original plan of having a mutilated Jason fell through.
    Hmm, I wonder (morbidly) what Tynions original story was going to be, assuming he has already been planning around the Snyder idea.

Quote Originally Posted by kaimaciel View Post
    Oh God! I remember that. I don't think a single person liked the idea. People were flat out horrified by that.
    When you think about it, it's almost absurdly hilarious, such an edgelord move to pull with any of the bat characters but especially with Jason.
    I mean, the idea behind Jasons conflict with the Joker is not the physical damage he has caused him so much as the psychological tormented aftermath, that's the whole point, even in situations like the Arkham games where Joker physically hurts Jason for nearly a year, that pales in comparison to the mental damage and mental torture that he endured, his emotional pain already shaped him in both continuities. So trying to add on this life changing horrific scar to a character that has already been beaten and blown up and killed is almost laughable, it's just piling on such unnecessary shock value to a character that has already endured and has been shaped by events fueled with shock value. Apparently being beaten and dying from the Joker wasn't enough ladies and gentlemen, Jason will now have entire face burned off by the Joker so he may never take off the hood. Where do you even go from here? XD Next step, Joker will snap Jasons arms to ensure he never can use guns again XD and why stop there, I'm sure we can keep inflicting more and more SAW-esque gross-out violence. Jeez

Don't Bully a Hurt Dragon Sergard's Avatar

Pete Woods on Twitter:

"Troof- even though Jason’s face is in shadow and he wears a mask I often draw his entire head and expression in the layout stage because I’m a control freak and kinda stupid." (source)

"December’s issue 29 of Red Hood is probably one of my favorite books I’ve ever done. I cranked this issue out finishing 11 pages in a week and I loved every second of it. I hope you dug it too." (source)

Quote Originally Posted by Sergard View Post
    Pete Woods on Twitter:

"Troof- even though Jason’s face is in shadow and he wears a mask I often draw his entire head and expression in the layout stage because I’m a control freak and kinda stupid." (source)

"December’s issue 29 of Red Hood is probably one of my favorite books I’ve ever done. I cranked this issue out finishing 11 pages in a week and I loved every second of it. I hope you dug it too." (source)
    First I can totally understand the need to draw the face regardless, I think it genuinely helps to shape the expression (even with what little there is) and angles of the face. Second, I'm genuinely both happy that he is having a great time on this series and impressed that he completed 11 pages in only a week, I mean the inks for the latest issue were quite possibly the best I've seen from Woods thus far.

First I can totally understand the need to draw the face regardless, I think it genuinely helps to shape the expression (even with what little there is) and angles of the face. Second, I'm genuinely both happy that he is having a great time on this series and impressed that he completed 11 pages in only a week, I mean the inks for the latest issue were quite possibly the best I've seen from Woods thus far.
    Agree to both. It helps me too, but then I'm an amateur artist, so maybe it is a weird thing to do for a professional.

I love how involved with this book the team members tend to get themselves. I think it says a lot of good about the book. And 11 pages in 7 days is kind of impressive. Anything faster than a page each two days is for me, to be honest.

True, most of us were impressed with the art in #29. Glad Woods had fun with it himself.

Don't Bully a Hurt Dragon Sergard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Cyclist View Post
    [...]Which, while not pertaining to this thread, is why I hate the idea of Bruce dating or married because he's Marilla Cuthbert, and Marilla doesn't need a man to rectify her existence, her adopted child is more than enough. The same with Bruce. He doesn't need a woman to rectify him and make him happy, even King has dropped that his boys are more than enough to make him happy. Stop trying to marry off my male Marilla, DC. Let him be happy with his gender flipped Anne Shirleys (and Damian).

The Detective Comics issue that flew over everyone's heads with Bruce racing to prevent Deacon Blackfire from possessing his grandson's body was a direct callback to The Resurrection of Ra's al Ghul, which itself, along with his appearance in 2011's Birds of Prey, and Death and the Maidens are all a nod to Octavia Butler's Wildseed books. That and he's Oberon to Damian's Puck, really quite literally when you realize that Damian's Year of Blood challenges and time limits match up with Puck's lines.[...]
    I see, there are a lot of literature references. And I have to admit I don't even know half of the mentioned titles. On the other hand I wonder what are the criteria, so that one can call similarities between two stories a "literature reference" - and when is something just pure coincidence. For example, I wouldn't go so far as comparing the first three Robins with Anne Shirley and Bruce with Marilla. At least in my opinion, it is only a very superficial similarity between Bruce and Marilla of having a "grumpy" personality and adopting a child (children) that changes them to the better. (And a little off-topic: I actually felt a little sorry for Marilla for not having a partner because she and Gilbert's father had been a couple in the past, but because of a quarrel the broke up and never got back together. If I remember correctly, it's even mentioned in the book that Marilla still regrets that break-up.)

It probably also depends on which relationship one looks at. The relationship of Bruce to one of his adopted sons may look like Marilla and Anne, but regarding the four brothers and how they are presented, I don't feel like there are three Annes and one Puck/Peter Pan. I rather like to compare them with the four sisters of "Little Women" (or even the sisters of "Pride and Prejudice").

Interesting that you mention the Deacon Blackfire issue. That was Detective Comics #982. I didn't even connect the dots with Ra's al Ghul. Although, in my defense, when I read the issue, it was in the middle of the night and I was baking a cake. I even had to read the name of the kidnapped boy - Joshua - twice because the first time I read "Jason" (I repeat: middle of the night, cake, I was really tired.) And from that point forward I couldn't get rid of the thought that everything was some kind of metaphor with Joshua being Jason - the kid who is trapped in the darkness and needs to be rescued by Batman. At some point Batman even calls for Robin (although Damian isn't part of the mission.), which makes me wonder if Batman was really calling for Damian - or for Robin Jason or Robin in general.