Page 48 of 1010 FirstFirst ... 384445464748495051525898148548 ... LastLast
    D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Personally, I prefer the red bat symbol or even no symbol at all as far as character designs go but then again I didn't care for the symbol he was sporting in "Revenge of the Red Hood" either. That whole costume was just bad IMO and the symbol was too close to Punisher's, which I thought only added to the Punisher-lite aspect of the character at the time. I have no desire at all in seeing that aspect return either in costume or in characterization as I prefer to have a Jason Todd that has gotten past all the sh*t that happened in his past. He's being more proactive now instead of reactive, which was how he was being portrayed by writers before the reboot. That makes him a stronger character IMHO then he was before.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Tzitzimine View Post
    I don't understand how after absolutely NO ONE giving importance to the emblem in story and even Lobdell outright saying (through Kori) that Jason isn't defined by what he wears or who he knows. People STILL gets hung on it.
    Because is a graphic medium. Symbols, emblems and uniforms, are part of the story. Nobody has to be defined for what they wear but there's a reason why they chose it. Even in the story they created a story for that particular uniform.

Starfire and Lobdell can say whatever they want it not going to change the message behind that emblem.
    Last edited by Rakiduam; 02-19-2015 at 09:42 AM.

Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rakiduam View Post
    Because is a graphic medium. Symbols, emblems and uniforms, are part of the story. Nobody has to be defined for what they wear but there's a reason why they chose it. Even in the story they created a story for that particular uniform.

Starfire and Lobdell can say whatever they want it not going to change the message behind that emblem.
    And what is exactly that message? Because thanks to the N52 and RHATO's excellent development of Jason. When I see the red bat I think of Jason as his own character.

There's nothing on Jason's actions through RHATO that give any weight to the symbol, Snyder only has used him as mere background character that has barely spoken with Bruce (in fact, on every time Bruce communicates with the family, Jason is always absent), on B&R Jason was again just a background character that didn't have any plot relevance whatsoever.

The only point where Jason is closely tied to Bruce is on Eternal. But Eternal is terrible and everyone is written out of character (and chances are that it won't even matter at the end) so why care about it?

And what is exactly that message?
    For me the message of the symbol is simply that Jason has moved on from all the sh*t in his past and has also moved on from his issues with Batman and his extended family so that he can at least work with them when needed. In other words he's put the past in the past where it belongs.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    For me the message of the symbol is simply that Jason has moved on from all the sh*t in his past and has also moved on from his issues with Batman and his extended family so that he can at least work with them when needed. In other words he's put the past in the past where it belongs.
    Exactly.

Of course if you want a more simple and realistic reason for the symbol. Is all about having a solid brand.

The Red Bat is both an easy way to single out Jason among all the DC characters while also serving as a link to Batman for any new consumers.

And what is exactly that message?
    That he is a member of batman's family/army/mithos.....

BTW the Red Bat doesn't single out Jason, Terry used it first, Thomas uses it now too.

BTW the Red Bat doesn't single out Jason, Terry used it first, Thomas uses it now too.
    Well, duh. Jason IS all of that.

And those examples you mentions are different designs.

Actually all three of those characters have a variation on the same symbol (a red bat) so it is possible to tell which character is which by their own variation of the symbol. Also Jason has always been a part of the Batman family and mythos even when he was the villian so why that needs to change I've no idea. He was a Robin before he was killed and like it or not that makes him a Bat.
    Last edited by JasonTodd428; 02-19-2015 at 10:37 AM.

Actually all three of those characters have a variation on the same symbol (a red bat) so it is possible to tell which character is which by their own variation of the symbol. Also Jason has always been a part of the Batman family and mythos even when he was the villian so why that needs to change I've no idea. He was a Robin before he was killed and like it or not that makes him a Bat.
    Who say he wasn't? It's what the symbol represent, is not a bad thing, but is not inconsequent, it matters. the fact that Jason use that symbol in his chest has importance. It ties him to Batman, regardless what Starfire says in the book. That's my point.

About the bat I would conced that Jason use a red bat, different to others red bats?

I

Who say he wasn't? It's what the symbol represent, is not a bad thing, but is not inconsequent, it matters. the fact that Jason use that symbol in his chest has importance. It ties him to Batman, regardless what Starfire says in the book. That's my point.

About the bat I would conced that Jason use a red bat, different to others red bats?

I
    My point is that Jason would still be a Bat regardless of the symbol and he doesn't need the symbol to identify himself as such. It's a nice visual that helps with that connection sure but it's really not necessary at all. He was still connected to the Bat and the Bat mythos when he was sporting no symbol at all in UTRH.

If they had used symbol in UTRH it would have ruined the suspense.

I guess the new 52 wanted remind everybody or make a statement of Jason being in family, or they just wanted put red somewhere because red is cool.

GOG I LOVED THE LAST ISSUE OF RHATO! I wish Crux and Rose would've been there earlier.It's such a complete team now.So bad ass!!

I guess the new 52 wanted remind everybody or make a statement of Jason being in family, or they just wanted put red somewhere because red is cool.
    Um, that is EXACTLY what happened, although it wasn't "because Red is cool" it was to give all the Robins a thematic connection.

I have to wonder if you actually read the books.

I don't understand how after absolutely NO ONE giving importance to the emblem in story and even Lobdell outright saying (through Kori) that Jason isn't defined by what he wears or who he knows. People STILL gets hung on it.
    I'm not hung over it.I just feel like it's senseless to wear.He also said he was never big on the theatrics of costumes.But oh well,I've gotten used to it now.I still wouldn't mind if he lost it though.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Daredevil is Legend View Post
    I'm not hung over it.I just feel like it's senseless to wear.He also said he was never big on the theatrics of costumes.But oh well,I've gotten used to it now.I still wouldn't mind if he lost it though.
    My point is that Jason would still be a Bat regardless of the symbol and he doesn't need the symbol to identify himself as such. It's a nice visual that helps with that connection sure but it's really not necessary at all. He was still connected to the Bat and the Bat mythos when he was sporting no symbol at all in UTRH.
    Which is why I feel he doesn't need it, and why it just looks forced. Dick and Tim are loyal to Bruce, but they don't strutting around with a "hey I'm wearing half a batman suit" logo.