Page 522 of 1010 FirstFirst ... 22422472512518519520521522523524525526532572622 ... LastLast
Results 7,816 to 7,830 of 15150

Quote Originally Posted by RedBird View Post
    So sorry G :P

Also nevermind I'm back in.

Whilst I'm not Tynions biggest fan, I find his characterization of Jason to be usually be slightly off and much less complex than he actually is. (Actually you could say this for every character he writes, they are all pretty shallow and tropey.)

Regardless considering Jason is still fighting the good fight and trying to defend Gotham, and not abandoning it (Dick) and not trying to destroy it (Damian) and not changing his moral code and himself in the process (Tim), I say he fairs pretty well in this horrible future. This whole thing feels like a worst case scenario, and if the worst case scenario for Jason is that he remains one of the few that gives a damn about Gotham and still wants to save it even after being crippled for life, I can dig that.
    Pretty much. It's not deep, but it's not bad either for worst case scenario.

(Actually you could say this for every character he writes, they are all pretty shallow and tropey.)
    Any character written by anyone is "tropey". That's what tropes are: fiction-building bricks.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by G-Potion View Post
    Not you too Alycat.
    Gotta get the jokes in while the the issue is hot

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    Any character written by anyone is "tropey". That's what tropes are: fiction-building bricks.
    What I mean is that he generally uses tropes of the characters based on their most stereotypical and simplified form, which is ooc.

eg: In his most shallow form Jason is the jock/badboy archetype, so he must love talkin bout chicks and drinking all the time right?, he must exude real confidence, also since he is a big guy, he must be like a jock right, all brawn no brain right? Hint, all those are either wrong or heavily exaggerated points of his character.

In my opinion, Tynion relies too much on the tropes belonging to the character archetypes that HE considers each of the robins fitting into, to inform him of their actual character, which is ridiculous since they all almost go against their perceived archetypes when you actually analyze them.

Not you too Alycat.
    Look G, we're just happy he is putting his foot down and saying no to this future Tyranny. :P

Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

Not when they're good writers. One of the reasons Alan Moore is so praised is precisely because he subverts and deconstructs those tropes or creates new ones entirely. Tynion has always written his stories like a high schooler writes fanfiction, with zero understanding or interested on going beyond those tropes.

In my opinion, Tynion relies too much on the tropes belonging to the character archetypes that HE considers each of the robins fitting into, to inform him of their actual character, which is ridiculous since they all almost go against their perceived archetypes when you actually analyze them.
    True, i apreciate that Tynion brougth some parts of old Tim back (not wanting to be a costumed vigilante forever, his "big picture" thinking), but the overeliance in tech and hackingn is really annoying. Also, props to the part about the Robins being the oppisite of the archetypes, sometimes i feel that people take fanon way too seriously.

Look G, we're just happy he is putting his foot down and saying no to this future Tyranny. :P
    I'm not setting my foot anywhere near your exercise of one-upping each other. Man pain, I tell you. MAN PAIN!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Tzitzimine View Post
    Not when they're good writers. One of the reasons Alan Moore is so praised is precisely because he subverts and deconstructs those tropes or creates new ones entirely.
    Deconstructed tropes are still tropes. There shouldn't be this negative connotation around tropes, because without them writing fiction wouldn't be possible.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Mighty Member

I'm not setting my foot anywhere near your exercise of one-upping each other. Man pain, I tell you. MAN PAIN!!
    Aren't you getting a kick out of this? I'm just glad that Jason's sole purpose for a while was protecting Gotham to the best of his ability. He stepped up and put his heart and sole into it. I'm done now.

Quote Originally Posted by Alycat View Post
    Aren't you getting a kick out of this? I'm just glad that Jason's sole purpose for a while was protecting Gotham to the best of his ability. He stepped up and put his heart and sole into it. I'm done now.
    Exactly, he hopped right back into the vigilantes business, good for him.

Exactly, he hopped right back into the vigilantes business, good for him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alycat View Post
    I see through your tricks. I remain the good loyal Jason fan. Unlike you two who heel-face-turned at the drop of a hat.
    Last edited by G-Potion; 10-11-2017 at 10:46 AM.

I see through your tricks. I remain the good loyal Jason fan. Unlike you two who heel-face-turned at the drop of a hat.
    Okay I'm being cheeky, but I'm sure he can take a bit of teasing, lets be real, Jason was never a goody two shoes himself.

Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

Deconstructed tropes are still tropes. There shouldn't be this negative connotation around tropes, because without them writing fiction wouldn't be possible.
    That is different to characters being "tropey"

And no one ever said using tropes were wrong, just that Tynion is a bad writer that can't do anything of note with them.

Spectacular Member

It's really weird that Jason could turn up to be so self-destructive just because he lost one eye and a leg. I mean, seriously, considering the technology level at that time, losing eye/leg shouldn't be a problem at all! He can just replace them with artificial ones with even better quality and extra functions! That's a lame reason.

And his (step)mother died because of drugs, and his (once) best friend was struggling with them, too. I don't see any possible reason that Jason could let himself to follow the same route.

I don't believe Jason would kill himself with such a slow and painful way without any dignity. If he hates someone/himself, he'd rather be killed by his enemy, or drag all of them into hell with him, or sacrifice himself honorably in a real battle.

He made his way out of his own grave. He will never give up. He will never settle. That's what shinning in his spirit.
    Last edited by magpieM; 10-11-2017 at 11:17 AM.