Page 830 of 1010 FirstFirst ... 330730780820826827828829830831832833834840880930 ... LastLast
Results 12,436 to 12,450 of 15150

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Tzitzimine View Post
    Something important to keep in mind about Jason's popularity is that, yes, he is popular with the regular public in general but just a fraction of them actually vote with their wallet by buying his comics, leading to Jason still being firmly a second tier character far as editorial is concerned. So unless the so-called fans also start supporting the comics, there's little interest from editorial to put a bigger effort on him.
    Hard to do so if there are little to no promotions for his books. Now if this move to a darker Red Hood partly a DC plan to bring the UTRH/AK/Injustice crowd over, then I hope they will do their job this time and get the words out to those fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post

Redbird, you making me doubt my eyes because I swear the pics you posted he has black hair!
    It's black, but different lighting means different shades in the highlight. The only one who looks less black is Soy's Solitary, who has dark brown hair that could easily be black. Comics are that weird.

About buying stuff, if I could buy more, I would. But unfortunately, for me it's hard to buy even the most emblematic story arc; Winick's work in Under The Hood. It seems that the publisher in our country isn't planning on reprinting those three trades (two for UtH and one for LD; they come in the same series) and It's hard to find (they are listed in a lot of shops, but they don't have them; and the publisher itself only has the third trade in stock. A shop owner who is a friend of mine asked). The same could be said for the N52 run; and Rebirth's run isn't even being published at all. Which is understable, because here he's really only known by a few and doesn't have a lot of fans (well, he has, and some are very vocal. But he doesn't have many). Understable that our published isn't interested; it's a business, after all.

As it is, it's either looking for those books half across the country in a sort of mystical quest, buy import, or go digital. The first one, I'm too tired to really try (but probably will do in the end, after years of looking for them); the second option is out of my capacity (I'm penniless, and duty and transport taxes between America and Europe are crazy high); so digital it is (and publishers don't really care for digital, apparently). That doesn't mean I'm less of a fan, just to be clear.
    Last edited by Zaresh; 06-24-2018 at 10:50 AM. Reason: grammar

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Tzitzimine View Post
    Something important to keep in mind about Jason's popularity is that, yes, he is popular with the regular public in general but just a fraction of them actually vote with their wallet by buying his comics, leading to Jason still being firmly a second tier character far as editorial is concerned. So unless the so-called fans also start supporting the comics, there's little interest from editorial to put a bigger effort on him.
    I don't think this is necessarily the fans fault. I don't think that DC themselves have done enough to totally earn this handwavy whatever attitude they have about the character. Its not like they've done much to support the character in the first place to warrant this lack of even trying. It's not like he received some kind of push from DC ala Batwoman style, being a vital character placed in a big hitter book like detective comics then in their own solo title. It's not like he has a big writer behind him that been trying to boost him for years now, ala Duke Thomas style with Snyder. Hell out of the mainstay bat characters of Dick, Babs, Tim, Damian, Cass, Stephanie, Kate and Luke he is the only one to never have his own solo title. Mainstream popular characters like Harley Quinn, didn't become popular overnight because DC simply ignored the ever growing fandom, wiping their hands clean and saying whelp let's just keep her as a B character in a team book. No, they saw the opportunity and they took it, they gave her her own solo's made sure she was front and center in her team book and placed her in whatever crossovers they can, they promoted the hell out of her. Now Harley is definitely a special case, granted, she is most definitely above RH in terms of popularity, I'm certainly not making a direct comparison here, and this most certainly ain't a dig at any of these characters mentioned AT ALL, but just I'm sayin, when you look at the differences, there's never been any sort of 'push' for the Red Hood as a concept, to succeed at DC. I mean jeez, even the team book, rhato, that fans had to demand for, (if I remember correctly apparently to such a degree it was the most demanded book prior to new52s launch) doesn't even receive any promotion these days.

At best, I think the only time I think DC comics ever had Jason front and center (sort of) in anything was in another team up, the highly criticized countdown series, and that was a decade ago. Jasons popularity has risen leaps and bounds since then, and that series was a blunder anyway since it was not meant to promote the popular Red Hood identity at all but to be a transition point from RH to Red Robin for Jason.

Extraordinary Member

Him getting one of the preludes (and popping up in more out of continuity stuff), could at least be a sign, that they seem him as more important now. We just need to see if that translates to a better treatment in his guest appearances.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaresh View Post
    Regarding the surprise of some writers for Jason's popularity, it doesn't surprise me in the least (ha!!). Sometimes I discuss with my little brother about the general shape of the world and we always end up agreeing in that there is an astonishing lack of general empathy (we both are different like white and black personality wise, but often agree in these sort of things). And people don't getting why other people can like and care for a character that, despite his many problems, decides to take a radical action in a world that apparently is leagues more messed up that ours it's probably expected at this point. It's a classic story that easily connects with a lot of people that either can identify with him at some level, or either they can care for a character like him because he's a bleeding heart and will probably hurt himself more and they pity him and want him to be "better" and "grow up". That, and his background make for a lot of points of sympathy that are probably lost to a percentage of our society /for whatever reason).

But to each their own; honestly, I find him way more heroic that Batman at this point (I have a hard time understanding how modern Batman can be so liked. Or Iron Man. Ore Blach Panther. Us, siblings, don't get Black Panther at all!). But the people who don't get it probably think that it's just how cool and edgy he looks and act , the reason behind his popularity I mean; the angst too, because that's attractive for a lot of people. And that reasoning isn't entirely false, but those swallow reasons are far from the reason that those who like him stay liking him and become invested fans. After reading some fanfics, or reading some reviews too, one can understand how is it that a really minor character that probably should've stayed as a minor rogue in the gallery of a larger-than-life character like Batman, gets to become so popular within the base and stay as an anti-hero; because we care about him, because we can connect with him in some way.

Edited: Btw, I think King was kidding, mostly. I suspect he thinks that him mocking Jason is fun in an affectionate way. But also shows that he doesn't get him, which is clear by how he writes him.
    Beautiful write-up, Zaresh! I started out a Batman fan but now I ask myself the same question. I just, don't feel anything for him now.

Also, I really get you on the empathy point. I guess that's why Lobdell is so successful with Jason. His writing is all heart and empathy, not just for Jason himself but for the characters around him as well. This is one of those cases for me, where I feel like wanting to know a writer as a person because of the sincerity and kindness in their writing.

Redbird, you making me doubt my eyes because I swear the pics you posted he has black hair!
    LOL Sorry, I know it's mainly black but since it's inked black and highlighted with either brown or blue, (in art brown highlights signifying brown OR black hair and blue highlights signifying black hair) thats what made me confused in the first place. Don't worry though, I'm sure its just meant to be black overall.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaresh View Post
    It's black, but different lighting means different shades in the highlight. The only one who looks less black is Soy's Solitary, who has dark brown hair that could easily be black. Comics are that weird.
    You said it.
    I can't wait till Solitary gets revealed and I can stop splitting hairs, literally XD

Quote Originally Posted by RedBird View Post
    I don't think this is necessarily the fans fault. I don't think that DC themselves have done enough to totally earn this handwavy whatever attitude they have about the character. Its not like they've done much to support the character in the first place to warrant this lack of even trying. It's not like he received some kind of push from DC ala Batwoman style, being a vital character placed in a big hitter book like detective comics then in their own solo title. It's not like he has a big writer behind him that been trying to boost him for years now, ala Duke Thomas style with Snyder. Hell out of the mainstay bat characters of Dick, Babs, Tim, Damian, Cass, Stephanie, Kate and Luke he is the only one to never have his own solo title. Mainstream popular characters like Harley Quinn, didn't become popular overnight because DC simply ignored the ever growing fandom, wiping their hands clean and saying whelp let's just keep her as a B character in a team book. No, they saw the opportunity and they took it, they gave her her own solo's made sure she was front and center in her team book and placed her in whatever crossovers they can, they promoted the hell out of her. Now Harley is definitely a special case, granted, she is most definitely above RH in terms of popularity, I'm certainly not making a direct comparison here, and this most certainly ain't a dig at any of these characters mentioned AT ALL, but just I'm sayin, when you look at the differences, there's never been any sort of 'push' for the Red Hood as a concept, to succeed at DC. I mean jeez, even the team book, rhato, that fans had to demand for, (if I remember correctly apparently to such a degree it was the most demanded book prior to new52s launch) doesn't even receive any promotion these days.

At best, I think the only time I think DC comics ever had Jason front and center (sort of) in anything was in another team up, the highly criticized countdown series, and that was a decade ago. Jasons popularity has risen leaps and bounds since then, and that series was a blunder anyway since it was not meant to promote the popular Red Hood identity at all but to be a transition point from RH to Red Robin for Jason.
    Comparing him to Harley Quinn seems fair, I think. She was a fans fave from the animated series (understable, because she was dumb fun villain, a pitiable villain even). I liked her there; but not nowadays, mostly because I think she represents a lot of things that feel wrong for me on a personal point of view. But also, because she's been so pushed, it has burnt me to her. Sometimes you have to be wary of what you wishes, because promotion can go really wrong if not measured. I had the same burnt effect with Wolverine, for example.

LOL Sorry, I know it's mainly black but since it's inked black and highlighted with either brown or blue, (in art brown highlights signifying brown OR black hair and blue highlights signifying black hair) thats what made me confused in the first place. Don't worry though, I'm sure its just meant to be black overall.
    You said it.
    I can't wait till Solitary gets revealed and I can stop splitting hairs, literally XD
    Oh, can I relate to that? I'm growing bald because the waiting!

And glad I'm not alone, @G-Pots! I wouldn't mind knowing a bit more about Lobdell myself. He seems like a reflective kind of guy.
    Last edited by Zaresh; 06-24-2018 at 11:22 AM. Reason: adding quotations, fixing stuff, Quinn Quinn Quinn

You said it best, RedBird. You can't blame the fans when the company don't even bother to win them over.

Jason is getting a new look and direction and we don't even have an interview explaining what the heck is going on nor they bothered to give us a closer look on his new costume.

Jason is getting a new look and direction and we don't even have an interview explaining what the heck is going on nor they bothered to give us a closer look on his new costume.
    I hope they're planing to do it rather than not doing it at all. Granted, this direction might be what Lobdell wanted all along, but with the creative team change, obviously it's also editorial. Would be dumb to not give readers more reasons to care.

I hope they do too, but they should have done it the moment the cover was revealed like they literally done with every book that got a new direction. They instead let fans scratch their heads and freak out because they can't bother to let the creative team explain what's going on.

BANNED

They likely just don`t want to spoil in advance the ending of this arc since it`s dependable on more than one plot point. One is not even about Jason, what will happen to the other two? For now, it`s understandable.

Writers rarely ever spoil their plots. The purpose of interviews is to hype you up and give you something to look forward to.

Btw guys, Jan found some pics of the upcoming issue 26 and he shared them with me (spoiler warning to who don't want to know, but it's pretty small anyway):

Jason is getting a new haircut (goodbye bangs...).

His helmet is gone.

The symbol on his shirt is like what we saw on the cover which probably mean nothing.

There are other details, but I can't explain without context.
    Last edited by Rise; 06-24-2018 at 12:04 PM.

Writers rarely ever spoil their plots. The purpose of interviews is to hype you up and give you something to look forward to.

Btw guys, Jan found some pics of the upcoming issue 26 and he shared them with me (spoiler warning to who don't want to know, but it's pretty small anyway):

Jason is getting a new haircut (goodbye bangs...).

His helmet is gone.

The symbol on his shirt is like what we saw on the cover which probably mean nothing.

There are other details, but I can't explain without context.
    RIP hair. The white streak is still a dream.

Spectacular Member

No helmet and a new haircut? Are they gonna let him have a beard?

Btw I also think it's time to interview Lobdell about the new direction. He hasn't even updated his Twitter for quite some time.

So many, many changes.
    I'm bracing myself with quake-like thrill at this point.