Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 115
  1. #1
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,840

    Default All New, All Different Avengers Appreciation

    So it looks like each All New, All Different Avengers thread with articles and information appears to be hijacked by people with no interest but to bash the series. So to provide a safe haven of sort where no ill wording can be given, I created this appreciation thread. We can talk about the book before it's release as well when the issues do come out. As for me personally, this book has been one of the biggest "take my money" books release in comic history lol. I haven't been this excited for a book release in a very long time.

  2. #2
    Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,909

    Default

    Same here, I love the set up and the characters they chose. I know they'll be in good hands with Waid, and I know he can write some really well done stories with mixed age teams. What has me wondering things is how is Miles going to relate to his other teammates seeing as he's not from the 616 and they are, and secondly who is in that Ironman armor. I'm not suspecting Pepper because that suit looks a bit too small for her tall figure, it could be the angle though. Could it be a younger Iron Man from the Armor Wars area of Secret wars? A younger Tony? Or Arno? Or is it Tony back to basics and reverted to normal?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    283

    Default

    I don't know if I'll like it. I've read literally zero comics with Miles, Kamala Khan, Sam Nova and Sam Wilson as Captain America. But I'm certainly willing to give it a go. I'm hoping it's got a clear focus for the team, much like Mighty Avengers at one point was taking on powerful world-wide or cosmic level threats, Avengers Academy was for young super-heroes or New Avengers was at one point about the street team Avengers. I find a book seems to fit better when it's got a cohesive goal and story about why this team exists other than "Marvel wants to push these characters right now."

    I'm expecting that it's a Young Avengers team with Sam Wilson and potentially Vision acting as mentors. Although Iron Man does put that into question. Regardless, I hope it does have a defined role within the Marvel Universe.
    Currently Reading
    Amazing Spider-Man, Avengers, Avenging Spider-Man, Captain America, Daredevil, Fantastic Four, FF, Journey Into Mystery, New Avengers, New Mutants, Scarlet Spider, Venom, Wolverine, Ultimate Comics Spider-Man, Ultimate Comics Ultimates, Ultimate Comics X-Men, Uncanny X-Men, X-Men

  4. #4
    Fantastic 4ever Kirby Krackle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    2,210

    Default

    Marvel Pull - Fantastic Four, The Immortal Hulk
    DC Pull - The Green Lantern, Goddess Mode
    Indie Pull - The Wrong Earth, High Heaven

  5. #5
    Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,909

    Default

    Well best way to describe the team as far as character's personalities go via other heroes:

    Miles: I would say if you took Ben Riley and Tim Drake and put them together that's the sort of personality that Miles has. He's an upbeat sort of kid that had a lot happen to him recently but is moving forward and has a lot of heart. He wants to do his best like Peter, but at the same time he's not trying to be peter.

    Kamala: If you take Billy Kaplan's hero nerdness, mix that with Peter Parker's sense of responsibility, and Kitty Pryde's optimism, you'll have Kamala's personality. She's still trying to get the whole Hero thing, but she make's mistakes, like peter did when he was starting out, and like Peter she doesn't have a group that's ready to swoop in and help her out save for the team ups that happen. In short, Female Peter Parker with lots of heart meet geeky fanfiction writer.

    Sam Alexander: Nothing like the counter in Ultimate Spiderman cartoon. I haven't had a chance to read Sam, a lot of his personality seems to be kind of how Jeph wrote Conner Kent during his superman Run. Other's can better explain him.

    Sam Wilson: Pretty much the same as he was before he took on the mantle, the only difference is that in his own book he's working with Nomad (Ian Rodgers) who's sort of helping him get back into the groove after his time being inverted. In Al's Mighty he's pretty sure on his feet, helping out Monica in leading the team and showing that he can be as personal as steve is at times. Over all it's still Sam as Sam, just in a new uniform with a bit more responsibilities. If you know Falcon then No difference.

    My guess is that it probably will be a mix of YA the first, the slightly older incarnation of the Titans from when you had a mix of both some teen characters and some rookie older superheroes.

    Hope this helps a little. Personally I have a feeling that Waid will give more personality to Lady thor and probably get a better grip on Sam's nova character in a different way.

  6. #6
    Rookie Member unfriendly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    48

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnLynch View Post
    I don't know if I'll like it. I've read literally zero comics with Miles, Kamala Khan, Sam Nova and Sam Wilson as Captain America. But I'm certainly willing to give it a go. I'm hoping it's got a clear focus for the team, much like Mighty Avengers at one point was taking on powerful world-wide or cosmic level threats, Avengers Academy was for young super-heroes or New Avengers was at one point about the street team Avengers. I find a book seems to fit better when it's got a cohesive goal and story about why this team exists other than "Marvel wants to push these characters right now."

    I'm expecting that it's a Young Avengers team with Sam Wilson and potentially Vision acting as mentors. Although Iron Man does put that into question. Regardless, I hope it does have a defined role within the Marvel Universe.
    Honestly, I'm biased, but I would say you should certainly check out Kamala's ongoing if you're a Spidey fan. I think you might like her.

    @thread: I'm pretty opimistic about this team. Not sure how it's going to work, but it'll be interesting.

  7. #7
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,840

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    Same here, I love the set up and the characters they chose. I know they'll be in good hands with Waid, and I know he can write some really well done stories with mixed age teams. What has me wondering things is how is Miles going to relate to his other teammates seeing as he's not from the 616 and they are, and secondly who is in that Ironman armor. I'm not suspecting Pepper because that suit looks a bit too small for her tall figure, it could be the angle though. Could it be a younger Iron Man from the Armor Wars area of Secret wars? A younger Tony? Or Arno? Or is it Tony back to basics and reverted to normal?
    I know, one of my biggest interest in the series is how will the team interact. This is by far one of the most unique mixing's seen on a team, age differences, one person being from a different universe entirely. I'm very excited and super curious as to how will their relationships interact with one another. I'm going to presume that youngsters and the adults are going to ban together because of their similar age settings, but other than that, I have no idea whose going to be cool with who or if there will be friction, which is always possible. I do hope we do see cross age close relationships between some of the members. You don't really see that too often in comics. It would be cool if Thor was like an older sister to miles, or Sam an older brother to Kamala or Sam.

  8. #8
    Fantastic 4ever Kirby Krackle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    2,210

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leo619 View Post
    I know, one of my biggest interest in the series is how will the team interact. This is by far one of the most unique mixing's seen on a team, age differences, one person being from a different universe entirely. I'm very excited and super curious as to how will their relationships interact with one another. I'm going to presume that youngsters and the adults are going to ban together because of their similar age settings, but other than that, I have no idea whose going to be cool with who or if there will be friction, which is always possible. I do hope we do see cross age close relationships between some of the members. You don't really see that too often in comics. It would be cool if Thor was like an older sister to miles, or Sam an older brother to Kamala or Sam.
    Waid did say in that interview that we'd be seeing Kamala trying to get Cap's approval in the FCBD issue. So that should be interesting to see.
    Marvel Pull - Fantastic Four, The Immortal Hulk
    DC Pull - The Green Lantern, Goddess Mode
    Indie Pull - The Wrong Earth, High Heaven

  9. #9
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,840

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby Krackle View Post
    Waid did say in that interview that we'd be seeing Kamala trying to get Cap's approval in the FCBD issue. So that should be interesting to see.
    Oh there's already interviews on the comic? Can you post some of the links?

  10. #10
    Astonishing Member Raye's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4,316

    Default

    I am looking forward to it myself, but I am really most excited for my niece, assuming it's all-ages. Just recently I got her Ms. Marvel and Nova trades, and she LOVED them, and now spends her allowance on comics from Comixology. She she also really likes the Avengers movie, and wanted to read an Avengers book, but there wasn't really one that was age appropriate for her, or with characters she knew about at all. So, i mean, this seems like it was made for her.
    Last edited by Raye; 03-28-2015 at 02:47 AM.

  11. #11
    bye thx fish yet another's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Undisclosed location
    Posts
    1,731

    Default

    I read Thor and Ms. Marvel currently so I will of course check this out. Hard to get it wrong when Mark Waid is writing it!

  12. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    283

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by unfriendly View Post
    Honestly, I'm biased, but I would say you should certainly check out Kamala's ongoing if you're a Spidey fan. I think you might like her.

    @thread: I'm pretty opimistic about this team. Not sure how it's going to work, but it'll be interesting.
    I'm definitely going to. As indicated in my signature I'm currently reading the Marvel comics of the beginning of 2012. So I'm slowly making my way forward to the present (I have no desire to skip ahead. These comics aren't going anywhere).
    Currently Reading
    Amazing Spider-Man, Avengers, Avenging Spider-Man, Captain America, Daredevil, Fantastic Four, FF, Journey Into Mystery, New Avengers, New Mutants, Scarlet Spider, Venom, Wolverine, Ultimate Comics Spider-Man, Ultimate Comics Ultimates, Ultimate Comics X-Men, Uncanny X-Men, X-Men

  13. #13
    Fantastic Member MarioHerald's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    314

    Default

    Has anyone pointed out that we have two Sam-Samuels in the team? :P

    I liked Sam (Nova) from his time in the short-lived (but awesome & diverse!) recent New Warriors book by Christopher Yost and saw Waid's work with him in Original Sin #0, so I have good expectations for this team and comic. :-)

    And I love Ms. Marvel. But I was kind of frightened knowing G. Willow Wilson wouldn't be writing her here. But only at first.

    Quote Originally Posted by leo619 View Post
    Oh there's already interviews on the comic? Can you post some of the links?
    Gladly.

    http://marvel.com/news/comics/24338/...s_the_avengers


    Quote Originally Posted by JohnLynch View Post
    As indicated in my signature I'm currently reading the Marvel comics of the beginning of 2012. So I'm slowly making my way forward to the present (I have no desire to skip ahead. These comics aren't going anywhere).
    If that is the case, I make you one recommendation: Scarlet Spider. It is the start of Kaine's and Hummingbird's adventures in Houston before the slightly functional pair joined New Warriors... carrying with them all their crazy and mystery.

    There are some details, minor spoilers and a good bunch of opinions in the thread linked in my signature.

    -------------

    Here some recent fanart of the younger members of ANAD Avengers (we need a better shorthand).



    http://skarchomp.tumblr.com/post/114...of-these-nerds




    And here Kamala and Miles with Sam (Falcon).



    http://capfalc.tumblr.com/post/11475...eing-on-a-team
    Last edited by MarioHerald; 03-28-2015 at 04:05 AM.

  14. #14
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,065

    Default

    I'm feeling very happy that this will be a big turnaround from the sprawling mega-cast of Hickman's era. For the most part I've loved Hickman's run, even if at times I found it frustrating, but one thing I've been wanting the main Avengers book to get back to is a small cast. Waid is a master at characterization so I'm sure he's going to kill it when it comes to writing this group. And I love the mix of characters on the roster - it's easy to see the huge potential that comes with putting them together. I just wonder how often this book is going to ship - if it's going to be once or twice a month or if it's going to be like most Marvel titles and just occasionally double-ship. I'm guessing the latter as I don't think Waid, with all the other books on his slate, would want to adopt the same punishing schedule that Hickman had. At any rate, I can't wait to actually see this team in action.

  15. #15
    Junior Member Dopliss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    297

    Default

    My favorites in the team are definetly Vision, FalCap and Kamala, i know a lot of people don't like Sam as Cap, but as seen by the first story arc in Captain America and the Mighty Avengers (a book that reall deserves more readers), he can be written as an interesting and sympathetic character.
    "Memento Mori if the nineth lion ate the sun."
    -Zero III

    "The man on the moon rules the infinite time."
    -Phi

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •